The most common error in blood pressure measurement

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
The most common error in blood pressure measurement is use of inappropriate cuff size. Considerable overestimation can occur if the cuff is too small. The bladder length recommended by the AHA is 80 percent of the patient’s arm circumference, and the ideal width is at least 40 percent. Error is minimized when the cuff width is 46 percent of the arm circumference, although for large adult and thigh cuffs this is not practical. In obese patients, longer, wider cuffs are needed to compress the brachial artery adequately. In children, cuff bladder width should be at least 40 percent of the arm circumference halfway between the olecranon and acromion; the cuff should then cover 80 percent or more of the arm circumference. Recommended cuff sizes are listed in Table 3.

BP cuff size.jpg

For correct cuff placement, the midline of the cuff bladder should be positioned over the arterial pulsation in the patient’s upper arm following palpation of the brachial artery in the antecubital fossa. There should be a 2– to 3–cm space for the stethoscope between the lower end of the cuff and the antecubital fossa, unless this would require an undersized cuff. In patients with an arm circumference greater than 50 cm, the cuff should be wrapped around the forearm, supported at heart level, and the radial pulse felt at the wrist http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1001/p1391.html

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

HealthMan

I bought my own large cuff because my arms are really big (muscular) and my GP told me my BP needs to be measured using a large cuff. So i took my brand new cuff to the blood center i usually donate blood and they said they can only use their cuffs!! I tried to explain to them but they wouldn’t listen.

ratbag

The most common error in blood pressure measurement is use of inappropriate cuff size. Considerable overestimation can occur if the cuff is too small. The bladder length recommended by the AHA is 80 percent of the patient’s arm circumference, and the ideal width is at least 40 percent. Error is minimized when the cuff width is 46 percent of the arm circumference, although for large adult and thigh cuffs this is not practical. In obese patients, longer, wider cuffs are needed to compress the brachial artery adequately. In children, cuff bladder width should be at least 40 percent of the arm circumference halfway between the olecranon and acromion; the cuff should then cover 80 percent or more of the arm circumference. Recommended cuff sizes are listed in Table 3.

View attachment 4326

For correct cuff placement, the midline of the cuff bladder should be positioned over the arterial pulsation in the patient’s upper arm following palpation of the brachial artery in the antecubital fossa. There should be a 2– to 3–cm space for the stethoscope between the lower end of the cuff and the antecubital fossa, unless this would require an undersized cuff. In patients with an arm circumference greater than 50 cm, the cuff should be wrapped around the forearm, supported at heart level, and the radial pulse felt at the wrist http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1001/p1391.html

Now I have even less confidence in our medical practitioners. I've only ever seen one cuff size in any MD's office I've visited.

DragonBits

Another use of blood pressure machine.

I did an ankle-brachial index (ABI)test to check how well your blood is flowing.

This is to check for peripheral artery disease, or PAD. This means you have blockages in the arteries ofyour arms and legs. This slows down your blood flow, and your limbsdon't get as much of the oxygen they need.

The test compares the blood pressure atyour ankle with the blood pressure at your arm. Then there is aformula for how much the blood pressure should change between yourankle and arm.

You are supposed to be laying flat on atable, so it's easier if someone helps you.

I thought to check because after 40 min climbing stairs, I seemed to poop out more than I expected, but the test indicated no PAD. Likely just not conditioned enough and low testosterone.

yuyi1980

DO NOT trust any digital BP monitor. Hear your arteries. Most are unreliable and extra sensivite throwing your true numbers off. Margins of error could very from brand to brand, but they mostly very unaccurate.

medvetz63

I have also discovered that the position of my arm causes changes in blood pressure readings. If l take my BP with my arm hanging down the side of my body the reading will be slightly high, like 130/80 but when my arm is resting on a table at the level of my heart the reading is always fantastic, like 118/65, and lo and behold I have read several articles recently that say that having the arm resting at heart level while BP is taken is the ONLY way it should be done for the most accurate results.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me