Sudden Insomnia - Waking Early

Buy Lab Tests Online

sgtpepper36

tl;dr - bad insomnia, waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep every night and cant get back to sleep for about 2 weeks. feel exhausted. tried melatonin, benadryl, going to sleep later, working out hard. nothing seems to help. see below for more details.

34yo 250lbs Male
I have been experiencing insomnia over the past month that has escalated over the last 2 weeks. At first i was waking up early. Around 4 or 4:30. I usually wake up between 5 and 6am, so this was not a huge red flag for me. I felt a little more tired, but nothing excessive. About 2 weeks ago, i woke up at 2am and could not get to sleep. Since then i have pretty consistently been sleeping about 4 hours a night, feeling extremely exhausted during the day, but not able to nap or rest. My body is tired, but my mind is racing.

I have pretty good sleep hygiene. I naturally fall asleep around 10:30 and wake up at 5-6 with out the use of an alarm clock. 7.5 hours of sleep for me is my standard and always feels refreshed. If i go to sleep a little later, i usually wake up a little later. If i go to sleep a little earlier i wake up a little earlier. i have been like this for most of the last 4years. Sleep has never been an issue for me.

I have sleep apnea that i treat with CPAP. Started about 4 years ago, and my sleep has been great. I checked all my reading from my machine, and they are excellent. most nights i have 0 hypopneas and i dont see the last time i had a full on blockage. Even the recent nights of early wakings.

I have been on TRT for about 2.5 years now. I started with 200mg in one shot every other week, then went to 300mg in one shot every other week. This went on for about 2 years. About 4 months ago i switched over to defy medical and started the below reg:
3 shots a week of .27ml of 200mg test cyp
3 shots a week of .35ml Hcg
3 times a week of .125 anastrozole

I felt excellent, energy was through the roof.

I began a keto diet and dropped about 35lbs in the 3 month regiment.

Towards the end of the 3 months i started to have the early waking, but it was minor and only occasional.

I ran out of Hcg at this time as well, it took me a couple of weeks to get a hold of someone to set up my follow up appointment. By the time i got my labs and and the appointment, i was not taking my hcg for a couple weeks at least. I am not sure that this matters, but i want to give as much info as possible.

My new regiment is below:

3 shots a week of .27ml of 200mg test cyp
2 shots of .5ml hcg
Anastrozole as needed, i have only taken it twice in the last 2 weeks. basically once a week.

About a week into this i had my first 2am wake up. I slept about 4-5 hours a night for the next couple of weeks.

I stopped all trt this entire week in hopes that i would get some relief. No such luck.

I spoke with Defy and they told me to start exercising more and take melatonin. I am doing both and no luck.

I am going to reach out to a Doc today, but i know that the testerone thing is going to come up and given how little they seem to know about it, i am sure it will be the first suggestion to get rid of it.

Below are my labs from 3 weeks ago. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

WBC

[TD="align: right"]4.1[/TD]

RBC

[TD="align: right"]5.72[/TD]

Hemoglobin

[TD="align: right"]17.3[/TD]

Hematocrit

[TD="align: right"]51.3[/TD]

MCV

[TD="align: right"]90[/TD]

MCH

[TD="align: right"]30.2[/TD]

MCHC

[TD="align: right"]33.7[/TD]

RDW

[TD="align: right"]13.5[/TD]

Platelets

[TD="align: right"]214[/TD]

Neutrphils

[TD="align: right"]63[/TD]

Lymphs

[TD="align: right"]27[/TD]

Monocytes

[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]

Eos

[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]

Basos

[TD="align: right"]0[/TD]

Immature Cells

NP

Neutophils(absolute)

[TD="align: right"]2.6[/TD]

Lymphs(Absolute)

[TD="align: right"]1.1[/TD]

Monocytes(Absolute)

[TD="align: right"]0.03[/TD]

Eos(Abso)

[TD="align: right"]0.01[/TD]

Baso(Abso)

Immature Granulocytes

Immature Grans Abs

NRBC

NP

Glucose,Serum

[TD="align: right"]92[/TD]

BUN

[TD="align: right"]12[/TD]

Creatinine, Serum

[TD="align: right"]0.97[/TD]

eGFR if Non

[TD="align: right"]101[/TD]

BUN/Creatinine Ratio

[TD="align: right"]12[/TD]

Sodium

[TD="align: right"]140[/TD]

Potassium

[TD="align: right"]4.7[/TD]

Chlorid

[TD="align: right"]99[/TD]

Carbon Dioxide

[TD="align: right"]23[/TD]

Calcium

[TD="align: right"]9.4[/TD]

Protiein, Total,serum

[TD="align: right"]7.2[/TD]

Albumin, Serum

[TD="align: right"]4.4[/TD]

Globulin, Total

[TD="align: right"]2.8[/TD]

A/G Ratio

[TD="align: right"]1.6[/TD]

Bilirubin, Total

[TD="align: right"]0.6[/TD]

Alkaline Phosphate

[TD="align: right"]71[/TD]

AST

[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]

ALT

[TD="align: right"]45[/TD]

Cholesterole Total

[TD="align: right"]213[/TD]

Trigl

[TD="align: right"]157[/TD]

HDL

[TD="align: right"]26[/TD]

VLDL

[TD="align: right"]31[/TD]

LDL

[TD="align: right"]156[/TD]

T.Chole/HDL

[TD="align: right"]8.2[/TD]

Test Serum

[TD="align: right"]717[/TD]

Free Test

[TD="align: right"]31[/TD]

DHEA-Sulfate

[TD="align: right"]481.6[/TD]

TSH

[TD="align: right"]1.47[/TD]

Prolactin

[TD="align: right"]9.8[/TD]

Prostat Specific

[TD="align: right"]0.7[/TD]

Estradiol, Sensitive

[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]

SHBG

[TD="align: right"]17.4[/TD]

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Hi Sarge, What really sticks out to me is you need to give a pint of ASAP.
IMO your HCT at 51.3 is high. I always feel better when my HCT is <50 I usually Donate blood at 50.1

Are you still on the keto diet? Your lipids look pretty bad. (total C, TRIG, HDL, LDL)

How about supplements what are you taking?

Having a Free T of 31 must feel pretty good.

sgtpepper36

Thanks for the response.

I actually set up an appointment to give blood this weekend. Fingers crossed that helps.

Still doing the Keto. The weight keeps coming off. Truthfully my lipids were just as bad before when i weight about 280. I haven't seen a change in those either way since starting the diet. My hopes is to get down to a good maintenance weight and adjust my diet to something a little more well balanced.

And yes, before the insomnia, i felt absolutely amazing on this regimen. I have been far more active in my life then i have been in 15 years.

Saul

I have the same issue occasionally. I don't know why either. I sympathized with you. A couple nights like this I can work through it but by the 4th or 5th night, it really messes with you mind because you are so tired and in a funk. Once I wake up I can not get back to sleep. I tried low doses of melatonin because I was so desperate (I don't like taking anything that will mess with my sleep cycle). It was like a horse tranquilizer and made me tired, but I still woke up early. Luckily for me it only lasts 4-6 days at a time. Might look at what you are doing before bed - like for me, no caffeine after noon time, limit the screens and crazy tv shows - try stretching and relaxing or reading something mellow before bed. Also, don't drink anything after 8:00 pm, no booze, and don't get too hot in the night. Sorry for the long list but this is what helps me.

sgtpepper36

I spoke with someone over at Defy yesterday. Cant remember his name,he informed me about exercise and melatonin. I think i have been working with a Christine at defy for my actual prescriptions.

sgtpepper36

Thanks for the advice. I am doing all of these things currently. I have even removed the TV from the bedroom and only get in bed during sleeping hours. The last week has been a marathon of insomnia research for me.

JakeH

Thanks for the advice. I am doing all of these things currently. I have even removed the TV from the bedroom and only get in bed during sleeping hours. The last week has been a marathon of insomnia research for me.
If you find a solution, please share it. I have the same issues lately. I fall asleep easily at 9:30 or 10, and then up from midnight to 4am or 2am to 6am. One could set a clock by it. I have tried melatonin, meditation, booze, no booze, sex, no sex, cold rooms, hot rooms, etc. I already exercise hard daily, so I have no more to add.

I am to the point of considering ambien. My doctor gave me low-dose benzos, but I refuse to go down that road, since my ED is finally in check.

It is frustrating because TRT has fixed everything, and now I am back in zombie land due to lack of sleep.

I too have experienced the wakeup at 4 am. I usually have to pee then when I go back to bed I can't shut my mind off. I start thinking about the day.
I have some BPH issues so two visits to the bathroom is normal.
The 4am thing bugged me so much I always catch myself glancing at the clock when I get the pee urge
and thank my luck star if its 5 am.

From a pure layman's guess I wonder if this is yet another side effect of getting our harmones back in balance?
With the boosted T recovery from exersize is much faster.
Maybe our mind is being tricked into thinking our body is fully rested when it really isn't.

On my 2am pee breaks when I go back to bed my eyes feel heavy and my mind is still tired. But not at 4am.

Defy also suggested melatonin 1-3mg but that only helps me get to sleep. It's out of my system or at least I don't feel it by 4am.

snip...

I am going to reach out to a Doc today, but i know that the testerone thing is going to come up and given how little they seem to know about it, i am sure it will be the first suggestion to get rid of it.
What doctor are you asking this to?

I had to really put my foot down with my PCP over using a TRT clinic out of state.
I told him I would agree to any test he wants to prove there is a problem with my treatment and until then I am not asking for his blessing or opinion on the subject.
I hate doctors that think they know it all and when you put them on the spot and say (((PROVE IT))) they give you that arrogant stare knowing you called their bluff.

[TD="align: right"][/TD]

ratbag

If your out of HCG then that alone would cause a drop in total T and free T and in well being. When I run out of HCG I get fibromyalgia and start hurting... get back on it and I'm fine. In short running out of HCG plays a big part in how you feel and sleep.

sgtpepper36

If your out of HCG then that alone would cause a drop in total T and free T and in well being. When I run out of HCG I get fibromyalgia and start hurting... get back on it and I'm fine. In short running out of HCG plays a big part in how you feel and sleep.

I am back on it as of today. I stopped everything this week in fear the TRT was what was causing it, but i really dont think it was. I get the sense it is a combination of work stress, recent fluctuation in regimen as i ran out of my medication and fairly rapid weight loss, which all though welcome, probably is not the healthiest way to do it.

sgtpepper36

sgtpepper36

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I just joined today and feel that even if i dont get a fix out of this thread, just hearing that others have experienced this and are still here to tell the tale is somewhat encouraging. You guys rock.

I began a keto diet and dropped about 35lbs in the 3 month regiment.

Towards the end of the 3 months i started to have the early waking, but it was minor and only occasional.

So in my research on ketosis (I am considering trying this diet not convinced yet) I came across this video.
Toward the end of this 4 minute video this guy talks about sleep issues with ketosis and it is a mineral deficency mag and cal issue. check it out.
Tell me what you think.

sgtpepper36

Ok. So I had my first semi successful night of sleep. I slept for about 6.5 hours initially which was by far the longest i had slept in weeks. I felt a bit of the mind racing feeling and couldn't get back to sleep at first. Woke up and responded to some messages on here. I started to feel a little tired again and laid down. a half hour later was out for a couple more hours.

So. a friend of mine gave me a THC gummy bear and some CBD oil. I took about 5-10mg of thc and 25mg of CBD. I took them both about an hour before bed at 8pm. I felt a warm relaxing feeling about a half our later and was out cold with in the hour. Falling asleep was never really my issue though. But the relaxing feeling was 100% noticeable.

I have not used marijuana recreationaly in about 15 years and didnt really like the paranoia feelings that i used to get. So it just wasnt something on my radar. I do not live in a legalized state, but have a buddy that dabbles in the craft.

I am going to try this again tonight and i will report back with my findings. Obviously this may not be for everyone, but i feel absolutely amazing right now with a good nights sleep and to those that are truly desperate, it may be an option.

I have never really paid much attention to the marijuana as medication movement going on, but i may be keeping a closer eye on this from now on.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me