Understanding Free T measurement (and few other questions)

Buy Lab Tests Online

tyr_1

Gents,

I couldn't find the answer to this and it left me confused. My most recent bloodwork showed a free T of 94.2 pg/ml. Everything I could find researching this indicates excellent pg/ml levels are 20-25. Obviously, looking at the reference ranges, my lab is using a different type of testing to arrive at those reference ranges. Can anyone explain this and if I need to do a conversion somehow?

Also, a little bit about my situation. 40 year old male, extensive physical training background. Never used any trt, steroids or anything else besides few OTC supplements. Showed total test of 535 in may and doc, who is pretty good integrative guy but not super aggressive, suggested 50mg of DHEA a day as my levels were 235 mcg/ml. I went on that and the retest last week raised DHEA to 485. I was under the understanding that DHEA will do little for test levels in men but mine went up almost 200 points as you can see in the labs below with a little corresponding estradiol increase too (think last test was 26).

Generally feel good, carry large muscle mass but strength gains much slower and recovery not what it used to be. Otherwise, cruising along decent. I would say next year I will have to almost certainly start trt as I will be moving to the position of night shift supervisor in a law enforcement agency but I'm not really sure what to do right now. Going back to doc for his opinion but like I said, he is less than aggressive with testosterone although he is not opposed to it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot (7).jpg

Screenshot (6).jpg

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

In women DHEA increases testosterone, in men it increases estrogen. Perfect if you're a guy that just has super low estrogen and need a boost. 535 isn't terrible but then again isn't good enough to hold you into your twilight years.

The difference between 535 and 735 might just be what time of day you drew blood how much exersize and or sex you had 48 hours before the blood draw.
TT is all over the place based on time of day and activities. You have to really think and plan for your blood draws to get good results for comparisons.

I have a prescription for DHEA my doc would like to see ~300 IMO 485 is too high I would suggest you cut your supplement dose in half.

Looking at your blood test sheets you do not have Male Hypogonadism I find it hard to believe your doc would prescribe a TRT program for you. Maybe clomid or HCG but not tes.
hth

Last edited:

madman

Super Moderator
Gents,

I couldn't find the answer to this and it left me confused. My most recent bloodwork showed a free T of 94.2 pg/ml. Everything I could find researching this indicates excellent pg/ml levels are 20-25. Obviously, looking at the reference ranges, my lab is using a different type of testing to arrive at those reference ranges. Can anyone explain this and if I need to do a conversion somehow?
*****************************************************************************************************************************
535 and 735 total t numbers pose no means for trt unless your free t was low and you need to have your blood drawn between 8-10am(or earlier if lab is open) as this is when a males testosterone levels peak early in the morning due to the natural circadian rhythm and if you have blood drawn in the late afternoon/evening testosterone levels can be 30% lower and food (simple carbs) can alter free t numbers. Anyone with total t numbers 450+ with a healthy free t should not require trt if anything symptoms may be related to thyroid/adrenal issues or lifestyle factors excess cortisol (stress/lack sleep/poor diet/over training). Do not ever get the impression that high/normal physiological levels of testosterone are required for a male to function as many men feel good overall at mid/normal test levels. If you study the literature most males usually start experiencing low t symptoms sub 500.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
Also, a little bit about my situation. 40 year old male, extensive physical training background. Never used any trt, steroids or anything else besides few OTC supplements. Showed total test of 535 in may and doc, who is pretty good integrative guy but not super aggressive, suggested 50mg of DHEA a day as my levels were 235 mcg/ml. I went on that and the retest last week raised DHEA to 485. I was under the understanding that DHEA will do little for test levels in men but mine went up almost 200 points as you can see in the labs below with a little corresponding estradiol increase too (think last test was 26).

Generally feel good, carry large muscle mass but strength gains much slower and recovery not what it used to be. Otherwise, cruising along decent. I would say next year I will have to almost certainly start trt as I will be moving to the position of night shift supervisor in a law enforcement agency but I'm not really sure what to do right now. Going back to doc for his opinion but like I said, he is less than aggressive with testosterone although he is not opposed to it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 4248

View attachment 4249

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale