Meat and Muscle mass (study)

Buy Lab Tests Online

Will Brink

Findings of this study suggest meat and other animal bases proteins = more muscle and strength. Bit of the "no duh" files, but it's surprising how little data there is on this topic considering how hotly debated the topic is:

Animal-Derived Protein Consumption Is Associated with Muscle Mass and Strength in Community-Dwellers

Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 2017, 21 (9): 1050-1056

OBJECTIVES: Behavioral factors, including protein intake, influence the quantity and quality of skeletal muscle. The aim of this study was to explore the relationship between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and function in a large sample of unselected community-dwellers.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: The VIP (Very Important Protein) study, conducted during Expo 2015 in Milan, was a population survey aimed at assessing major health metrics in a population outside of the research setting, with a special focus on the relation between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and function. A brief questionnaire exploring lifestyle habits, dietary preferences and the consumption of selected foods was administered. Muscle mass was estimated by calf circumference (CC) and mid-arm muscle circumference (MAMC) of the dominant side. Muscle strength of upper and lower extremities was assessed through handgrip strength testing and repeated chair stand test, respectively.

RESULTS: The mean age of the 1,853 participants was 50.3 years (standard deviation: 15.7; range: 18-98 years), of whom 959 (51.7%) were women. Participants in the highest tertile of protein consumption showed better performance at both the handgrip strength (p <0.001) and chair stand tests than those in the lowest tertile (p <0.01). The same results were found for CC (p <0.001) and MAMC (p <0.001). Participants with high protein intake and engaged in regular physical activity showed the higher scores in all the assessed domains.

CONCLUSIONS: The results of the VIP survey suggest an association between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and strength across ages. Our findings also indicate a synergistic effect of animal-derived protein intake and physical activity on muscle-related parameters.

https://www.readbyqxmd.com/read/290...y-dwellers-results-from-the-milan-expo-survey

#Meat #MuscleMass #Strength #Protein

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Findings of this study suggest meat and other animal bases proteins = more muscle and strength. Bit of the "no duh" files, but it's surprising how little data there is on this topic considering how hotly debated the topic is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally! I used to rely on a lot of whey protein shakes back in the day and it was not until I switched to eating mostly steak/chicken/fish with my meals that I definitely noticed an improvement in muscle mass/strength. I remember my dad and even friends that I used to train with always used to say you need to eat meat to grow not all those shakes you are taking. Meat is a whole food source containing minerals/vitamins that most protein powders are stripped of and metabolizing whole food sources keeps the MEATabolism/digestive system revved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animal-Derived Protein Consumption Is Associated with Muscle Mass and Strength in Community-Dwellers

Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 2017, 21 (9): 1050-1056

OBJECTIVES: Behavioral factors, including protein intake, influence the quantity and quality of skeletal muscle. The aim of this study was to explore the relationship between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and function in a large sample of unselected community-dwellers.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: The VIP (Very Important Protein) study, conducted during Expo 2015 in Milan, was a population survey aimed at assessing major health metrics in a population outside of the research setting, with a special focus on the relation between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and function. A brief questionnaire exploring lifestyle habits, dietary preferences and the consumption of selected foods was administered. Muscle mass was estimated by calf circumference (CC) and mid-arm muscle circumference (MAMC) of the dominant side. Muscle strength of upper and lower extremities was assessed through handgrip strength testing and repeated chair stand test, respectively.

RESULTS: The mean age of the 1,853 participants was 50.3 years (standard deviation: 15.7; range: 18-98 years), of whom 959 (51.7%) were women. Participants in the highest tertile of protein consumption showed better performance at both the handgrip strength (p <0.001) and chair stand tests than those in the lowest tertile (p <0.01). The same results were found for CC (p <0.001) and MAMC (p <0.001). Participants with high protein intake and engaged in regular physical activity showed the higher scores in all the assessed domains.

CONCLUSIONS: The results of the VIP survey suggest an association between animal-derived protein intake and muscle mass and strength across ages. Our findings also indicate a synergistic effect of animal-derived protein intake and physical activity on muscle-related parameters.

https://www.readbyqxmd.com/read/290...y-dwellers-results-from-the-milan-expo-survey

#Meat #MuscleMass #Strength #Protein

you know it probably doesn't help that we are taught mostly thru TV ads that
eating Pork and Beef= high Cholesterol, Clogged arteries, and leads to heart attacks.

Saul

So the correlation was to specifically meat protein and not just high protein (whey, plant) ? Seems like meat specific title/study, to the exclusion of plant protein. Thanks for posting.

Will Brink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally! I used to rely on a lot of whey protein shakes back in the day and it was not until I switched to eating mostly steak/chicken/fish with my meals that I definitely noticed an improvement in muscle mass/strength. I remember my dad and even friends that I used to train with always used to say you need to eat meat to grow not all those shakes you are taking. Meat is a whole food source containing minerals/vitamins that most protein powders are stripped of and metabolizing whole food sources keeps the MEATabolism/digestive system revved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also:

http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuilding/red-meat-muscle-building-magic/

snip...
snip...

I still have to use Whey to get my total daily protein grams up to the recommended 1-1.5x your lean body weight and I eat meat at every lunch and dinner.
There is just no way I can sit down and consume 3 lbs of hamburger in 24 hours.

Blackhawk

So the correlation was to specifically meat protein and not just high protein (whey, plant) ? Seems like meat specific title/study, to the exclusion of plant protein. Thanks for posting.

While the term "animal protein" is in the title and info, is there anywhere in the information that states a comparison of animal to plant based protein intake? Only seeing the summary posted here, I don't know if this is stated in the more detailed info from the study, but I don;t see it here.

This study is based on test subjects filling out questionnaires. Do these people with higher protein intake eat only animals, but no grains, legumes, etc that contain plant protein?

I only see a statement that higher "animal" protein consumption along with higher levels of activity correlate to higher strength and muscle mass. LOL! I echo what Will said to that: "Duh"

Arterial plaque is caused by lipids with an odd number of carbon atoms, which come from mouth bacteria that cause cavities. Even number lipids are the cholesterol lipids the body uses.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me