Keto Diet (GOOD OR BAD) just when I was almost convinced...

Buy Lab Tests Online
...to give a ketosis diet a try one of the many fitness guys I watch on youtube comes out with this video on his opinion.

MODS, If posting a video like this is consider advertizing and against the TOS I am sorry it was not my intent I have no affilation with this guys.
Feel free to delete or move this thread to your holding area.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I don't really have any issues giving up everything made from flour the high Glycemic Index items.
But fruit! Palisade Peaches, organic pears, Red Delicious apples, pink grapefruit, blue berries, water melon Oh my, I just can't.

Blackhawk

You can however at least cut back on fruit. I have been a fruit fanatic my entire life, but weened myself, now only snacking on one or two max pieces of fresh fruit a day. Some days I even have none. My experience is that I don't miss higher quantities at all, and still get to appreciate a fruit here and there. It takes some time though to lose the cravings.

I have increased added fat: grass fed butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and ran my recent macros on myfitnesspal, and found I had to increase protein as well. I was tracking my diet closely a couple years ago, but slid back into higher carb and inadequate protien ratios since then. Whereas I was getting two solid servings of protein/day a couple weeks ago, I realized, I really should be doing 3-4 servings/day, and have been re-adjusting my day to day eating.

When I eat less fruit and have higher proportion of fats/proteins, I am more even in terms of energy through the day. I am NOT however low carb, just less than I have been before.

Vince

Super Moderator
As we know all fruit is genetically modified to taste good, some fruit should just be labeled as candy. I gave up fruit long time ago.

Desmond

From a health perspective keto diet I think is the best but I think alot of people wont be able to stick to this kind of diet long term but I guess one would have to try to know for sure.

Blackhawk

As we know all fruit is genetically modified .

Sorry, that is just not true. There are plenty of wild growing non-cultivated fruits world wide.

And I'd like to pick a bone about selective breeding vs genetic modification...

Vince if your consider that all fruits are genetically modified based on selective breeding, everything you eat that comes from a plant that has been cultivated or animal that has been subject to any form of breeding is genetically modified as well.

Perhaps many cultivated varieties have been bred selectively for various outcomes through the agricultural age, but genetic modification under modern definition, the artificial manipulation of genes, is a recent development. No, not all cultivated fruits are genetically modified.

Vince

Super Moderator
Sorry, that is just not true. There are plenty of wild growing non-cultivated fruits world wide.

And I'd like to pick a bone about selective breeding vs genetic modification...

Vince if your consider that all fruits are genetically modified based on selective breeding, everything you eat that comes from a plant that has been cultivated or animal that has been subject to any form of breeding is genetically modified as well.

Perhaps many cultivated varieties have been bred selectively for various outcomes through the agricultural age, but genetic modification under modern definition, the artificial manipulation of genes, is a recent development. No, not all cultivated fruits are genetically modified.

I guess the best way to know for sure is to check your glucose 2 hours after eating, glucose meters are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. There are so many people that are now insulin resistance or type 2 diabetic. When you're over 50 you definitely should have your A1C checked.
When I said genetically modified, I meant to taste good, sweeter.

SoCal Guy

But we don't really eat them. We eat their descendants we have bred to minimize toxins and maximize sweetness.

more info

I couldn't find a graphic with many examples at once, but here's wild watermelon. In the wild, it's extremely bitter.

(Maybe you can find an example of a wild fruit that we eat as-is, but I think you'll struggle to do so.)

Blackhawk

I guess the best way to know for sure is to check your glucose 2 hours after eating, glucose meters are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. There are so many people that are now insulin resistance or type 2 diabetic. When you're over 50 you definitely should have your A1C checked.
When I said genetically modified, I meant to taste good, sweeter.

Agree sugar intake even in fruit form can be problematic, especially for those with insulin resistance, and that overindulgence can cause such.

Re: GM, Obviously different use of terminology. Thanks for the explanation. I understand and respect your choices Vince, just don't agree that fruits are demons because of genetic mod or breeding. The wild berries in our woods are sweeter than any store bought varieties.

High fructose corns syrup on the other hand... VILLAIN!

Sorry for the tangent, Back to the topic...

Blackhawk

But we don't really eat them.

Yes actually I do when it comes to the fruits available in our forest! Wish they were more bountiful. Strawberries, raspberries, blue berries, grouse whortleberries, rose hips. Pine nuts. Some greens: blue bells, stonecrop, sorel, fireweed,

Anyway, I'll step off the debate train on this. i think we really are more on the same train as far as good nutrition, and avoiding too much sugar/carbs. We just have somewhat different ways to meet our own individual needs.

Saul

I don't know much about the KETO diet but I know of several people who are on it. As I understand it, when on a KETO diet even complex carbs should be avoided. If this is correct, can someone provide a short/simple basis for avoiding or greatly reducing complex carbs? I was also told that complex carbs are good and needed for energy production and are high in fiber. Thanks.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

I don't know much about the KETO diet but I know of several people who are on it. As I understand it, when on a KETO diet even complex carbs should be avoided. If this is correct, can someone provide a short/simple basis for avoiding or greatly reducing complex carbs? Thanks.

I am really curious about this too, but in terms of what does a day's menu look like?

Blackhawk

Thanks FeelingLost, already have heard plenty of the sales pitches. (actually prefer Ivor Cummins info) Just interested in an example of a day's menu,

Matt Leiser

I’m a big fan of Ivor Cummins as well. His videos are excellent.

I am am doing keto right now and it works well for me. I combine a keto diet with intermittent fasting. Usually 14-16 hours.

My daily menu is something like this:

first thing in the morning coffee with heavy cream. Sometimes I’ll do bullet proof and blend in grass fed butter and coconut oil. This holds me a few hours. Once I get hungry I’ll either eat 2 packets of salted peanuts or a 4 egg omelette with cheese mushrooms and spinach. Sometimes bacon and avocado. Depends on my meeting schedule.

Dinner is always oven roasted veggies (broccoli, Brussel sprouts, zucchini, eggplant, asparagus), salad and protein. I try for around 10% carb, 20% protein and 70% fat. I started making keto bombs and having them after my evening meal.

This has worked well for me. I dont Snack between meals. I only eat when I’m hungry. I feel hunger and satiety signals again and have worked out my macros so I can fast for the majority of the day without feeling hunger. I don’t actually count calories anymore either. I used an app when I first started to track macros to Make sure I hit my macros but really don’t do that anymore either.

Matt Leiser

Basically a figh fat, low carb treat that can be used as a snack or a dessert to help meet your fat intake for the day.
My favorite so far is the chocolate/sunflower butter/coconut.

1/3 cup coconut oil (partially melted)
1/4 cup sunflower butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
a few grinds of salt
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 packets stevia or preferred sugar substitute
2 tablespoons heavy cream

mix and refrigerate 10-15 minutes. Spoon out roughly a tablespoon and roll in unsweetened coconut.

I keep in the freezer and pull out and defrost 1 right before dinner. I eat it right after I finish my meal. I have found I can actually delay my first meal the next day longer and have been able to get to my goal of 2 meals a day.

Great info Matt thank you. What supplements do you take? I have read that getting enough minerals can be a problem.

Also if I may ask. On keto If one is trying to put on muscle mass,build or replace muscle that was lost do to age, (Sarcopenia)
Would you still use the formula for calculating how much protein to eat daily?
lean body weight x 1.0 to 1.5 grams of protein per day.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching