Dissicated Thyroid Compund vs Name Brand

Buy Lab Tests Online

AntCon

Hey all , so I just got my refill today for thyroid meds through Defy. I normally take 1 grain NatureThroid and for some reason they sent me what I’m guessing is the pharmacy’s own compounded version. All it says is 1g dissicated Thyroid on it.. Is it all exactly the same just as long as it’s dissicated? No matter the brand or ?? I guess I’m just a little concerned cause it’s not what I’m used to taking. Plus these are capsules when I’m used to taking a solid pill for thyroid.

Also do you guys think the price should be the exact same as if it was the NatureThroid ? Or since it is compounded it should of been cheaper? Just curious cause this all new to me.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I think there's a shortage of Nature Thyroid. I tried ordering my script through Caremark and was told they're out. I had to get Armour.

ratbag

Welcome to the world of natural dessicated thyroid. (NDT) This is the biggest problem with NDT. Every major manufacturer has either run out, changed their formula so it doesn't work or ran out of pigs to make it from. I was taking this for years until one day I couldn't find any NDT that worked so my MD put me on cytomel and synthroid (the synthetic versions) and that works great. So if you still want to pursue NDT that's ok but be sure you have a good backup or you risk becoming hypothyroid again.

AntCon

Ok well atleast that puts me at ease for now.. just wanted to make sure my body wouldn’t react differently since it only has ever had NatureThroid.

Welcome to the world of natural dessicated thyroid. (NDT) This is the biggest problem with NDT. Every major manufacturer has either run out, changed their formula so it doesn't work or ran out of pigs to make it from. I was taking this for years until one day I couldn't find any NDT that worked so my MD put me on cytomel and synthroid (the synthetic versions) and that works great. So if you still want to pursue NDT that's ok but be sure you have a good backup or you risk becoming hypothyroid again.

That’s good to know , thanks. Would you say you felt better with the synthetic versions compared to when you were feeling good with NDT versions , or the same?

AntCon

10. COMPOUNDED DESICCATED THYROID:

This is a method of having a compounding pharmacist make your desiccated thyroid via a compounding pharmacy. It works, but is far more expensive than any of the above. And beware of two important problems: 1) some compounding pharmacies just use synthetic T4 and synthetic T3 and still call it “compounded Armour or NDT”. ASK for proof of what you are getting. 2) many of these pharmacies still try to use cellulose as a filler, which binds the thyroid hormones, even if they deny it. Instead, ask that the filler be something like powdered Acidophilus or oil of your choice.

I saw that on https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/options-for-thyroid-treatment/ .. Hope what I got isn’t like that... Would I be able to call the pharmacy and ask ?

ratbag

When I went on synthetic (as a NDT replacement) I felt just as good as the best NDT I had used. I know that everyone who promotes NDT claims it's way better than synthetic but I've never noticed or felt a difference. The important part of synthetic is that they are consistent dosage wise. NDT isn't the same.

Some NDT brands have less T3 in them and even the same brands can change between batches. Originally I was on NDT only and it was great until one day Armour stopped working, so I became hypo until we learned they had changed and I found another NDT called Erfa. That worked great for 8 months and suddenly it didn't work. I went hypo again. So I started using NP Thyroid another brand of NDT and that was great again. Then suddenly it didn't work either so I moved on to Thyroid-S and that was great and I was buying it cheap by the 1000 tablets. Then one day my new batch didn't work and I was reading online about others in the same situation.

So I spoke with my MD and told him the story and he suggested he Rx me Cytomel and Synthroid and I could use this when ever I had trouble with NDT. So I tried it and it consistently worked and was available at any pharmacy and it was pretty cheap. So I stayed with synthetic's because every brand of NDT has failed me at some point and I just got fed up with my health being a yo-yo.

captain

I have seen a doctor say that T2 is an active form thyroid. The Synthetic doesn't have T2. Synthetic doesn't have Calcitonin either and I have seen labs from someone that switched from NDT to Synthetic. The labs have had higher blood calcium levels on Synthetic. If you were taking NDT and it stopped working there is things that can cause that and has nothing to do with the NDT. The doctor that said T2 is active was Jorge Flechas.

OMI100

Cytomet = T3
Synthroid = T4
NDT = Both T3 and T4 plus a bit of other stuff in it like rT3, DIT, MIT..
Most DRs only prescribe Synthroid (T4) so if your DR is prescribing BOTH you most likely have a DR who knows what he/she is doing.
NDT has a much higher % of T3 than a normal thyroid output.
Some DRs prescribe both NDT and Synthroid to try to get a ratio of T3/T4 close to the output of a normal thyroid.
Great info here: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/
And her book is outstanding.....

captain

NDT has T4/T3 4 to 1 Human 11 to 1. This could be why some do better on NDT. The ones converting T4 to RT3 will do better on less T4. Then some doctors add more T4 to NDT and is recreating the problem they had before. I was told the feedback loop is looking at T3 so I don't know what adding the T4 does but may be good for something.

Blackhawk

NDT has T4/T3 4 to 1 Human 11 to 1. This could be why some do better on NDT. The ones converting T4 to RT3 will do better on less T4. Then some doctors add more T4 to NDT and is recreating the problem they had before. I was told the feedback loop is looking at T3 so I don't know what adding the T4 does but may be good for something.

The index: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

Re T4: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-6.html

Re treating with just T3 vs T3 plus T4 vs just NDT vs NDT plus T4: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-10.html

ratbag

I have seen a doctor say that T2 is an active form thyroid. The Synthetic doesn't have T2. Synthetic doesn't have Calcitonin either and I have seen labs from someone that switched from NDT to Synthetic. The labs have had higher blood calcium levels on Synthetic. If you were taking NDT and it stopped working there is things that can cause that and has nothing to do with the NDT. The doctor that said T2 is active was Jorge Flechas.

You are uninformed. This is documented information on STTM and many have written about it. I have been using NDT off and on for many years. Many brands of NDT failed many different times. Janie herself wrote many posts about it.

ratbag

The index: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3.html

Re T4: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-6.html

Re treating with just T3 vs T3 plus T4 vs just NDT vs NDT plus T4: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-10.html

That book is very interesting isn't it. Barb is very bright person and lays to rest many of the misconceptions that get parroted around the internet. I know her very well, as the story in her book about Peter and his pituitary problem is about me. For your interest she will dispute the concept about NDT having all the extras like T1, T2, calcitonin etc. She believes it's made by us and not part of NDT. It may be in her book. I know I discussed it with her but can't remember reading it.

Blackhawk

That book is very interesting isn't it. Barb is very bright person and lays to rest many of the misconceptions that get parroted around the internet. I know her very well, as the story in her book about Peter and his pituitary problem is about me. For your interest she will dispute the concept about NDT having all the extras like T1, T2, calcitonin etc. She believes it's made by us and not part of NDT. It may be in her book. I know I discussed it with her but can't remember reading it.

Re: NDT not containing T2 etc: http://www.tiredthyroid.com/medications.html

ratbag

Yes indeed it is complicated and 99% of endocrinologists still only use the TSH and Synthroid to treat patients. I believe most people who have thyroid issues do not convert T4 to T3 well, along with whatever other problems they may have. And there are more patients like this than is realised or understood by mainstream medicine.

OMI100

"That book is very interesting isn't it. Barb is very bright person and lays to rest many of the misconceptions that get parroted around the internet. I know her very well, as the story in her book about Peter and his pituitary problem is about me. For your interest she will dispute the concept about NDT having all the extras like T1, T2, calcitonin etc. She believes it's made by us and not part of NDT. It may be in her book. I know I discussed it with her but can't remember reading it."

Ratbag,

Interesting.... Your part of the book!!!!

I equate her book to nothing less than a Doctorial Theses on the Thyroid.
It is well written and EVERYTHING is documented and foot noted.
Sources used are clinical research papers, NIH papers, studies and research from hospitals both here in the US and overseas locations, etc....
As I recall I think she said the book was a result of a number of years of in-depth research on her part....
There are NO bogus or tin foil hat references.
I think it is so well written and documented that it should be used in MED school...
My 2 cents.....

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching