Slightly elevated creatinine

Buy Lab Tests Online

HealthMan

Just got my blood work today. Creatinine came back 1.38 (range 0.60-1.35). I have been lifting weights for 20 years. I am now 210 pounds 6’ 1”. Work out heavy 5x a week (ex: i do 1000 pounds leg press). In the past my creatinine has always been top range to slightly over but most of the labs i ran had the range lower (0.60-1.25) usually. All other results albumin, BUN, etc all normal. My understanding has always been that weight lifter usually have high creatinine levels. Worth mentioning i am on a high protein diet 2g/kg of weight and had a big steak 18 hours before the test.
For the weight lifters in this forum: do you also have elevated creatinine levels?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Loki

Just got my blood work today. Creatinine came back 1.38 (range 0.60-1.35). I have been lifting weights for 20 years. I am now 210 pounds 6' 1”. Work out heavy 5x a week (ex: i do 1000 pounds leg press). In the past my creatinine has always been top range to slightly over but most of the labs i ran had the range lower (0.60-1.25) usually. All other results albumin, BUN, etc all normal. My understanding has always been that weight lifter usually have high creatinine levels. Worth mentioning i am on a high protein diet 2g/kg of weight and had a big steak 18 hours before the test.
For the weight lifters in this forum: do you also have elevated creatinine levels?

Mine is higher than that and always has been. Same scale -1.45 to 1.5... I have noticed that if I don't lift 2-3 days prior to the blood draw the reading is lower... Also your supplements you take, did you eat excess meat prior to the blood draw, etc. Given what you stated and the test result I wouldn't be concerned at all...

Loki

Just got my blood work today. Creatinine came back 1.38 (range 0.60-1.35). I have been lifting weights for 20 years. I am now 210 pounds 6' 1”. Work out heavy 5x a week (ex: i do 1000 pounds leg press). In the past my creatinine has always been top range to slightly over but most of the labs i ran had the range lower (0.60-1.25) usually. All other results albumin, BUN, etc all normal. My understanding has always been that weight lifter usually have high creatinine levels. Worth mentioning i am on a high protein diet 2g/kg of weight and had a big steak 18 hours before the test.

Also are you eating 2g of protein per pound of body weight?

HealthMan

I am eating approximately 2g per kg (1g per pound). Recently i have changed my workout a bit and have done very heavy weights 5 reps instead of my usual 8-10 reps. I am bulking for the first time in a while. I have put 12 pounds of weight (mostly muscle but some fat as well) during the last 6-9 months. I usually use labcorp to test my creatinine and have always been very close or a touch above their range. However their range is lower than quest (the lab i used on my last labwrok). And last time i tested my creatinine i was 10-12 pounds lighter (less muscle)

Also are you eating 2g of protein per pound of body weight?

Loki

I am eating approximately 2g per kg (1g per pound). Recently i have changed my workout a bit and have done very heavy weights 5 reps instead of my usual 8-10 reps. I am bulking for the first time in a while. I have put 12 pounds of weight (mostly muscle but some fat as well) during the last 6-9 months. I usually use labcorp to test my creatinine and have always been very close or a touch above their range. However their range is lower than quest (the lab i used on my last labwrok). And last time i tested my creatinine i was 10-12 pounds lighter (less muscle)

A diet higher in protein, more muscle mass, and supplements will increase your Creatinine results on your labs for sure...

hotdog

I am starting to believe creatinine is a poor first choice for measuring renal function if you work out and drink protein shakes.

My creatinine was 1.2 in 2002 and 1.2 in 2017 yet my PCP said that means I am virtually stage 2 kidney disease. What my PCP doesn't see is that my creatinine drops to 0.97 if I miss the gym for a month (no muscle breakdown happening).
More importantly my Cystatin-C is at 0.79 mg/L (0.53-0.95) and again has been the same value for years (age 58). The Cystastin-C test is not impacted by muscle mass or diet and is also a test that measures the ability of the kidneys to remove waste. I noticed that Nelson is planning on introducing the test in DiscountedLabs.

The National Kidney Foundation says "You are overweight, elderly or have lots of muscle (such as a body builder). Cystatin C-based estimates for GFR are believed to be less influenced by muscle mass or diet than creatinine-based estimates." (https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/cystatinC).

A good discussion of Cystatin-C test can be found here http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Kidney-Urinary/Kidney-Health/Page-06

One final thing, if you ever have to take a course of Bactrim antibiotics don't have your Creatinine test done or your PCP will panic. It adds 0.4-0.5 mg/dL to your result so HealthMan we'd be talking 1.78 for you! (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664589/ - see number 2)

They say the Bactrim inhibits clearance but is reversible after you stop taking it and my results concur. But be aware!

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me