Expert Will Brink Answers Questions on Nutrition and Supplements on ExcelMale.com

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Most of you know Will by now since he has been kind to answer questions on ExcelMale.com for a while.

I am honored to welcome him to this new section. I have read and followed his work since the 1990's when I was searching for information to save my life.

will brink.jpg

Before you ask him a question, you need to follow these rules:

Rules for New Folder: Ask Doctors and Experts

Information taken from his site: http://www.brinkzone.com/

Who Is Will Brink?

Writer/Contributing Editor for:

I have been a writer for over almost two decades and have been published in a wide variety of publications, including: Muscle Media, MuscleMag International, Lets Live, Muscle n Fitness, Life Extension magazine, Muscular Development, Townsend Letter for Doctors, IronMan, Inside Karate, Tactical Response, Police Magazine, Exercise for Men Only, Physical, Power, Body International, Oxygen, Penthouse, Fitness RX, Big, as well as others over the years and in many different languages. I had a monthly column in MuscleMag International called “The Intake Update” for a decade.

Many of my articles can be found on the major fitness/health/bodybuilding web sites, such as bodybuilding.com and hundreds of other sites.

You name it, I have written an article on it: Weight training, weight loss, HIV, cancer, heart disease, TRT/HRT, nutrition, supplements of all kinds, injury prevention and treatment, and many other topics relating to health, fitness, longevity, and bodybuilding, as well as law enforcement/military related topics. I have put a large sample of my articles on the web page for your perusal.

Trainer of high levels athletes, police, and military personnel.

“Back in the day” I had a good reputation for getting high level bodybuilders into top shape for competition or getting them ever larger in the off season. That spun off to other athletes, such as golfers, runners, etc. A lot of my clients were actually trainers who wanted to learn more and improve their knowledge about the business they were in, as well as medical professionals and dietitians who were interested in sports nutrition and other health related issues. I was a busy private trainer at one time and ran a small business for 4 years. I also do seminars and workshops for police departments and Tactical Law Enforcement (SWAT). A few letters regarding the seminars I do for SWAT/RRT teams can be found on my site dedicated to Tactical Law Enforcement HERE

Another service I have performed for Tactical Law Enforcement is fitness/exercise specific training camps. Videos can be viewed here:
SWAT FITNESS TRAINING VIDS

Interested parties can contact me via the contact links on my OptimalSWAT web site

Guest on various syndicated radio programs/ guest speaker.

I am a semi-regular guest on radio shows such as the Atkins show, which was hosted by the famous inventor of the Atkins Diet, the late Dr. Robert Atkins himself. I also do such shows as the Carrie Nossler show as well as others. On the bodybuilding front, I have been a guest several times on Muscular Development's “No Bull” radio. Some recent appearance can be heard here. Will currently has his own show with regular guests covering a wide range of topics:
BrinkZone Radio

I travel to speak as an invited guest at conventions and scientific conferences. For example, I spoke at the GNC convention about processing issues of whey proteins and the contaminants found in creatine (see articles on the BrinkZone site for more info on that). Prior to that I was in Canada speaking about the medical benefits of whey protein at the University of Alberta at a symposium on functional foods. I have been interviewed on a variety of topics for Fox News and other networks over the years.

Research, etc…

I maintain an extensive network of scientists, researchers, medical doctors, athletes, and just general research freaks who I am in constant contact with. Many of the articles I have written in that past were co-authors with various scientist friends and I always enjoy making new contacts with researchers, trying to be of help in their search for answers regarding nutrition and other endeavors. Although I don't consider myself a researcher in the classic sense (as I don't work at a research oriented lab) I have been involved in some research, including:

Kyle Hoedebecke1 Will Brink. “Military-specific application of nutritional supplements: a brief overview” F1000Res. 2015 Mar 10;4:61. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.6187.1. eCollection 2015.Hoedebecke K, Brink W. “Operational stressors on physical performance in special operators and countermeasures to improve performance: a review of the literature.” J Spec Oper Med. 2014 Summer;14(2):84-5.

Brink W. “Task specific supplements for Special Operations Forces and law enforcement tactical teams.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 3 (1)S1-S29, 2006. (www.theissn.org))
J.Antonio, C.M. Colker, G.C. Torina, Q. Shi, W. Brink, and D. Kalman. “Effects Of A Standardized Guggulsterone Phosphate Supplement on the Body Composition in Overweight Adults: A pilot study.” J. of Current Therapeutic Research. Vol. 60, Number 4, p220-227, 1999.

D.Kalman, C.M. Colker, J. Antonio, G.C. Torina, W.D. Brink, Q., Shi. “Effects Of A Guggulsterones Extract-Phosphate Salt Based Product on Body Composition And Energy Levels In Overweight Adults.” Medicine n Science In Sports n Exercise. Vol.31, Number 5 (S), 1999.

Antonio J, Kalman D, Colker C, garza T, Brink W, Swain M. “Effects of Creatine-Pyruvate vs. creatine monohydrate on exercise performance.” J.Strength Cond Res . 1999;13(4):a422.

C.M. Colker, D. Kalman, W.D. Brink, L.G. Maharam. “Immune Status Of Elite Athletes: Role Of Whey Protein Concentrate.” Medicine n Science In Sports n Exercise. Vol. 30, Number 5 (S), 1998.

Along with Karils Ullis MD, Tim Ziegenfuss PhD, Rick Cohen MD, Bill Roberts, and yours truly, we had a Letter to the Editor published in JAMA regarding our criticism of a study done on the controversial supplement androstenedione. See:
K. Ullis, T. Ziegenfuss, B.Roberts, WD.Brink, R. Cohen, “Letter to the Editor: Androstenedione.” JAMA. February 9th, p 742. 2000

Graduated:

Harvard University ALB, Natural Science Concentration

Books:

Fat Loss Revealed. A comprehensive internet based e-book examining the latest nutrients marketed for weight loss, as well as nutrition and exercise for optimizing fat loss. Published by Internet Publications. See products section for more info HERE
Bodybuilding Revealed. A comprehensive internet based e-book examining the latest supplements, diet strategies, and exercise regimens for increasing strength and lean bodymass. See products section for more info HERE
Priming The Anabolic Environment. A little book I wrote a few years ago that contains a wide range of subject matter ranging from weight loss to supplements to training. It's a short book but it's jammed full of useful information. It's geared mostly toward bodybuilders but if one reads between the lines it's easy to see that anyone can get something from this book, bodybuilder and non-bodybuilder alike. BTW, Bodybuilding Revealed is a MUCH more advanced book, with FAR more useful info in it.
Practical Applied Stress Training (P.A.S.T) for tactical law enforcement. Info on this book for tactical LE/SOF and like groups can be found at the OptimalSWAT site linked above, or book stores like Barns And Nobel, Amazon, etc.
Recent Reports: Topics covering weight loss, modeling success, training, etc, found on Amazon
Vacation Gone South: A fiction novella about to buddies from from a Tier One Unit who go on vacation to Panama and it all goes “south” from there.

Chapters Written:

“Diet” ( Chapter 5 ) of Sports Supplement Encyclopedia (Edition One) edited by Jose Antonio PhD and Jeff Stout Ph.D. Published by Nutricia Institute of Sports Science 2001. Data based chapter on how athletes can structure their diet to gain lean body mass.

“The Supplement Pyramid” (Chapter 11) of the Sports Supplement Review 3rd Edition by Bill Phillips. An up to date chapter on various supplements for sports and bodybuilding nutrition used by athletes and how to prioritize them in order of importance. Published by Mile High publishing. 1997

RnD and marketing consultant to the health, weight loss, and bodybuilding industry.

Consulting Services:
I have worked with many supplement, pharmaceutical, and dairy companies helping them design nutritional supplement/products, improve existing products, assist with marketing products in fitness, bodybuilding, longevity, or other markets, as well as web based consulting work.
Some of the services have included:
o Product RnD
o Connecting manufacturers with retailers and vise versa.
o Assisting with raw material acquisition to keep costs down and quality up.
o Working on label and product literature to match the product lingo with the buyer.
o Working with the advertising staff, as well as various departments within a company to coordinate product RnD, and development.
o Assisting in setting up locations and protocols for research and validation of formulas or compounds.
o Finding markets for raw material manufacturers through my network and relationships with retail companies.
o Marketing assistance.
These are just some of the functions I have served for some of the industries best-known companies. Interested parties can contact me at my email address listed on the home page.

More information on various services offered can be found on my B2B site on the Brink Consulting Group page.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Wow so its official Will is part of the team. Congrats Will, I always look forward to your posts and I have enjoyed your blog. One of these days I'm going to get your fictions I can never find time to sit down with a good book these days.

OK here's my question.
Every time my doctor raises my T prescription I go thru the water weigh gain thing and for me it's a lot of water. I even have to stop taking creatine. If I don't I'll put on 10# in 3 days.
Can I use a Diuretics something like xpel to combat this water retension.

Note: My sensitive E2 was 18 ng/dL when my T prescript was raised so my water is not E related.

Will Brink

Wow so its official Will is part of the team. Congrats Will, I always look forward to your posts and I have enjoyed your blog. One of these days I'm going to get your fictions I can never find time to sit down with a good book these days.

Thanx. I hope you will check out the fiction stuff. They are all novella length so a fast read. All have solid reviews. Just released part IV of my highly rated action/thriller series Vacation Gone South.

OK here's my question.
Every time my doctor raises my T prescription I go thru the water weigh gain thing and for me it's a lot of water. I even have to stop taking creatine. If I don't I'll put on 10# in 3 days.
Can I use a Diuretics something like xpel to combat this water retension.

Note: My sensitive E2 was 18 ng/dL so my water is not E related.

I guess the Q is, why does he keep raising your doses? You have been on TRT a while yes? Normally, once dose is found that keeps you at the numbers you want, it's stead state from there. As you say, does not sound E related. You can get changes in hormones such as aldosterone, which controls water balance, from changes in androgens. Personally, not a fan of Diuretics as they can cause more problems than they solve, can cause mineral imbalances, etc, depending on type. You could have aldosterone tested, but might be a waste of $. Does it alter your BP or any measure of health? Finally, does it not normalize on its own once you adjust to the new dose?

Been on TRT for 9 months. I changed doctors 2 months ago.
Dr #1 (my PCP) TT 173 prescribed Testim Gel 1% 7 months later TT 650, FT 18, E2 62, Prolactin 16. PCP knew nothing about AI's
Went with Defy Medical. Told Dr I'm old (63) but in no hurry I wanted to creep up on my lvls no 1300TT on my first blood test or crashed E2.
So we are going slow and the side effect is this water weigh gain with no change in diet. It does go away on its own in 6-8 weeks.

I will research aldosterone.

I take no other meds except my TRT. My BP is great.

Will Brink

Been on TRT for 9 months. I changed doctors 2 months ago.
Dr #1 (my PCP) TT 173 prescribed Testim Gel 1% 7 months later TT 650, FT 18, E2 62, Prolactin 16. PCP knew nothing about AI's
Went with Defy Medical. Told Dr I'm old (63) but in no hurry I wanted to creep up on my lvls no 1300TT on my first blood test or crashed E2.
So we are going slow and the side effect is this water weigh gain with no change in diet. It does go away on its own in 6-8 weeks.

I will research aldosterone.

I take no other meds except my TRT. My BP is great.

Don't know why I didn't see this, but it never popped up. So, looks like your on top of what's working and what's not, and Defy should get you squared away given time. Was there a specific Q?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me