gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) - DHT (Info please)

Buy Lab Tests Online

OMI100

Came across some articles that indicate GLA is beneficial for reducing DHT.
My DHT is through the roof.
Last labs 327 (range 30-85).
DR suggested I try a small dose of Finisteride :(
Have not gone that route and don't plan on it.
So question of the day... Is anyone taking GLA and have you had positive results.
I also have BPH, and the reading I have done also indicates that GLA helps with BPH.
No worries about hair loss. I do not have the hair loss gene and there are NO issues there:)
If you have been taking it, I am also looking for recommendations for good quality GLA and where to get it.
Also dosing information.
Thanks....

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Most of the research regarding GLA use in humans states it may have positive benefits regarding inflammatory diseases. As far as reducing DHT highly unlikely.

Aer your labs consistently that high? You haven't stated a negative thing here besides focusing on a number on a test. What's your TRT protocol? You're not using a topical cream or gel by any chance?

OMI100

Compounded cream 200MG/ML and I use a 1/2 ML. I use about a 1/4 teaspoon. Very little... Under my arm near my arm pit.

Some number,

7/27/17**DHT 327 (30-85)**FREE T 11.2 (6.6-18.1 pg/ml)**E2 Sensitive 19.2 (8-35 pg/ml)

3/17/17**DHT 213 (30-85)**FREE T 8.5 (6.6-18.1 pg/ml)**E2 Sensitive 25.8 (8-35 pg/ml)

Vince

Super Moderator
Much of the GLA taken as a supplement is converted to a substance called DGLA that fights inflammation. Having enough of certain nutrients in the body (including magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6) helps promote the conversion of GLA to DGLA.
Many experts find the science supporting the use of omega-3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation and prevent diseases to be much stronger than that supporting GLA.

Will Brink

An interesting article. The problem is, especially for the GLA, is the studies cited are in vitro (test tube) and of little real value in terms of making decisions for ingestion. In vitro studies are interesting and useful for looking at pathways and such, but can have little to no relevance to an in vivo (living organism) system. As GLA is good for you anyway, no reason not to experiment and see what happens, but I only get interested in such things when I see effects in vivo data as the very minimum. You might notice a different in DHT by switching to IM route, or (and this is a big one) losing bodyfat. Extra body fat especially negative for controlling E2, but also can impact DHT, but not as dramatically in my experience.

Will @ www.BrinkZone.com

Compounded cream 200MG/ML and I use a 1/2 ML. I use about a 1/4 teaspoon. Very little... Under my arm near my arm pit.

Some number,

7/27/17**DHT 327 (30-85)**FREE T 11.2 (6.6-18.1 pg/ml)**E2 Sensitive 19.2 (8-35 pg/ml)

3/17/17**DHT 213 (30-85)**FREE T 8.5 (6.6-18.1 pg/ml)**E2 Sensitive 25.8 (8-35 pg/ml)

so 100mg @ what frequency? Is your blood draw before or after you apply the cream?

OMI100

Vince,
I do blood work BEFOR application of any cream first thing in the morning when the LabCorp center opens:)

100mg in 0.5ml of cream DAILY in the A.M.
Use a Topi-Click applicator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOQ2oUZw-U
The one on the vid is dispensing waaaaay more than what mine does.
2 clicks for me is about a 1/4 teaspoon.
NEW lab numbers below:
9/26/17
"T" Serum=778 (264-916)
"T" Free (Direct)=10.2 (6.6-18.1)
DHT=310 (30-85)
E2 Sensitive=27.7 (8.0-35.0)
I know I read a NIH or PUBMED paper on the use of herbals to reduce DHT and there was a specific statement that GLA was as effective as Finasteride or Dutasteride (don't remember which on). I will keep looking to see if I can find it.
Started on 2 caps a day of Borage oil.
Will be doing labs next week and see if any initial impact.

Will Brink

Vince,
I do blood work BEFOR application of any cream first thing in the morning when the LabCorp center opens:)

100mg in 0.5ml of cream DAILY in the A.M.
Use a Topi-Click applicator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOQ2oUZw-U
The one on the vid is dispensing waaaaay more than what mine does.
2 clicks for me is about a 1/4 teaspoon.
NEW lab numbers below:
9/26/17
"T" Serum=778 (264-916)
"T" Free (Direct)=10.2 (6.6-18.1)
DHT=310 (30-85)
E2 Sensitive=27.7 (8.0-35.0)
I know I read a NIH or PUBMED paper on the use of herbals to reduce DHT and there was a specific statement that GLA was as effective as Finasteride or Dutasteride (don't remember which on). I will keep looking to see if I can find it.
Started on 2 caps a day of Borage oil.
Will be doing labs next week and see if any initial impact.

I can assure you, that's not the case and no invivo study I'm aware of (see discussion in ivivo and in vitro above) that has shown that. Your best bet may simply be getting away from the topicals, which would also save you $.

I agree with WIll, you're probably going to have to get off the topicals as they're known to be a good pathway for 5AR/DHT though you're overresponding by all accounts. I haven't seen us on injections with DHT in those numbers, in fact me and a few others use a topical cream because we're low in DHW with injections.

OMI100

Cost is about $32.50 / month.
What is the price range for injection "T".
Yep. Have NO idea why the small amount of compounded cream drives it that high.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me