Consuming Whey Protein Before a Meal Lowers Post-Meal Blood Sugar

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
This study shows that men who took whey protein before a meal had a lower rise in blood sugar levels after that meal. This may be good to avoid the "crashing" feeling that happens after a meal and also to maintain more stable glucose blood levels which prevents the yo-yo effect that makes us feel tired after a meal.

J Nutr Biochem. 2014 Jan;25(1):36-43.

Mechanism of action of pre-meal consumption of whey protein on glycemic control in young adults.

Akhavan T, Luhovyy BL, Panahi S, Kubant R, Brown PH, Anderson GH.

Abstract

Whey protein (WP), when consumed in small amounts prior to a meal, improves post-meal glycemic control more than can be explained by insulin-dependent mechanisms alone. The objective of the study was to identify the mechanism of action of WP beyond insulin on the reduction of post-meal glycemia. In a randomized crossover study, healthy young men received preloads (300 ml) of WP (10 and 20 g), glucose (10 and 20 g) or water (control). Paracetamol (1.5 g) was added to the preloads to measure gastric emptying. Plasma concentrations of paracetamol, glucose, and &#946;-cell and gastrointestinal hormones were measured before preloads (baseline) and at intervals before (0-30 min) and after (50-230 min) a preset pizza meal (12 kcal/kg). Whey protein slowed pre-meal gastric emptying rate compared to the control and 10 g glucose (P<.0001), and induced lower pre-meal insulin and C-peptide than the glucose preloads (P<.0001). Glucose, but not WP, increased pre-meal plasma glucose concentrations (P<.0001). Both WP and glucose reduced post-meal glycemia (P=.0006) and resulted in similar CCK, amylin, ghrelin and GIP responses (P<.05). However, compared with glucose, WP resulted in higher post-meal GLP-1 and peptide tyrosine-tyrosine (PYY) and lower insulin concentrations, without altering insulin secretion and extraction rates. For the total duration of this study (0-230 min), WP resulted in lower mean plasma glucose, insulin and C-peptide, but higher GLP-1 and PYY concentrations than the glucose preloads. In conclusion, pre-meal consumption of WP lowers post-meal glycemia by both insulin-dependent and insulin-independent mechanisms.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

robs2nd75

I'm guessing casein provides an even greater benefit. One of the dieticians at my Endos office was just telling me about a study she was part of where they tested how snickers bars affected blood sugar.....one of the better candy bars b/c of the high fat content from the nuts. EAT fat and or protein w/ your carbs !!!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me