Vitamin D

Buy Lab Tests Online

James

I've got a 13 yesr old son who's pretty active in sports. He's a bigger kid in both height and weight, but he's broken 4 bones already playing sports. We had a bone density test and doc said all was normal, blood showed vitamin D at a very low 12 ng/ml. I started him on 5,000 iu's daily. My question is, how long does it take bone strength to improve after a vitamin D regimen has been put in place? He wants to get back out on the ice and play hockey but I'm fearful the kid's going to break another damn phone. Thanks for your comments guys.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Re-Ride

Assement of bone density may be inaccurate when only the standard dexiscan is done of the pelvic region. I was loosing density in the cervical region for years and only got a diagnosis after I'd lost height and developed severe chronic pain. Normally adequate dietary sources of d and k complex alone may be insufficient if there is abnormal absorption or metabolism. When supplementing D3 I can attest to the superiority of Bio Tech. It is a pure crystalline powder in a capsule. Avoid the gel caps and soy oil. At 12 I'd be doing one 50,000 capsule per week. The capsules are easily opened for those wishing to spread out the dose. Studies have shown that weekly dosing is just as effective at raising 25OHD levels.

Why look at Vit D and not mention calcium? I'm not being snarky, my first thought was Calcium = bones. I understand D was low, but bones?

Matt Leiser

From what I have read Vit D increases absorption of calcium (along with many other things) from the gut so additional supplementation may not be needed if your diet is already high in calcium. If you do supplement with Vit D, adding Vit K 2 (MK7) is recommended to direct calcium into the bones.

James

Good stuff guys. Wife took call from Doc yesterday who went over the blood work. I'll have copy of labs tomorrow and will check out the calcium levels. She said doc was most concerned about the Vit D. Agreed Matt Leiser, D increases absorption of calcium. Interested to see what his levels are.

Keep in mind your son is at that age where a well planned weight training program is appropriate. It will als build strength to help him excel at sports, but also strengthen muscle and bones for protection. as a bigger kid, he may not yet have the skeletal structure to support that size he is carrying. Working out with your son is a great way to bond with a son and show him an example of what training can do for his sports, self esteem, and self discipline.

Weights contribute to to bone density. Doesn't hurt Dads either.

FOX1

I've got a 13 yesr old son who's pretty active in sports. He's a bigger kid in both height and weight, but he's broken 4 bones already playing sports. We had a bone density test and doc said all was normal, blood showed vitamin D at a very low 12 ng/ml. I started him on 5,000 iu's daily. My question is, how long does it take bone strength to improve after a vitamin D regimen has been put in place? He wants to get back out on the ice and play hockey but I'm fearful the kid's going to break another damn phone. Thanks for your comments guys.

A straight answer to your question is 2 years.
DEXA bone scans are only carried out every 2 years as that is the time considered for a change in growth. I will be able to answer more accurate in Feb 2018 as that is when I receive my second DEXA scan (Osteopenia ).
Accrete D3 tablets are both Calcium & Vitamin D, I take them daily as subscribed medication along with my TRT.
Good nutrition, sleep, sunlight and physical activity are essential for bone growth, free weights are a good way of ensuring this, but for a lad of 13 years, perhaps hill walking and other strenuous activities if not weights.
I wish your son well, it must be a worry for your family.

James

Re-Ride - We were concerned with accuracy and heard about the challenges with pelvic scans. The tech said with kids his age, they scan the entire body. That was encouraging to hear.

FOX1 - Accrete D3 with both D and calcium, sounds like what he needs. 2 years for bones to feel the effects of a D and calcium regimen, is longer than I thought.

Vince

Super Moderator
Re-Ride - We were concerned with accuracy and heard about the challenges with pelvic scans. The tech said with kids his age, they scan the entire body. That was encouraging to hear.

FOX1 - Accrete D3 with both D and calcium, sounds like what he needs. 2 years for bones to feel the effects of a D and calcium regimen, is longer than I thought.
Healthy levels of vitamin D3 should make you a super absorber of calcium, so not need to supplement calcium. May wish to consider a good vitamin K2 supplement.

Re-Ride

James, I'm forced to rely on my intuition which is to avoid intensive x-ray especially of the organs and brain. Wrist at most. Per the insert Accrete tabs are not intended for children or adolescents. My unqualified opinion is that CA should not be supplemented in most men. Accrete would seem ideal if one wishes to supplement microcrystaline cellulose, soy oil, sucrose, gelatin, maize starch, Sepifilm 4202 yellow, yellow iron oxide, talc, marcogol 400, titanium dioxide, hypromellose, magnesium stearate while keeping D3 low at 400 I.U. and lining the pockets of big pharma shareholders.

James

I'm not a fan of the body scans, but with 4 broken bones (3 of the 4 on hits most would consider minor), we decided to do it. Sounds like most agree to supplement vitamin D & K, but not calcium.

Re-Ride

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1495189/

Water source can be an excellent natural source of Ca which is rapidly absorbed. As a preference he might be avoiding foods which are excellent dietary sources of calcium including foods which are Ca fortified. Maintaining healthy intestinal flora is likely as or more important than food and supplements because they may promote better absobtion and utilization. I'm lucky to be in the Green Valley Organic dairy service area which produces lactose-free high count probiotic kefir. Check for a similar dairy near you. Non-dairy sources of probiotics abound. Check the label for counts and specific cultures. People usually identify a species or source that works well for them. After 90 days your doc should verify that D3/K complex/dietary changes you have chosen are actually working.

Vince

Super Moderator
Story at-a-glance -
  • Recent research suggests that the timing of calcium and vitamin D supplementation may actually influence how your bones adapt to exercise, and help decrease exercise-induced calcium loss
  • While the featured research is interesting, I believe it falls short in terms of making a health recommendation that will result in improved bone health. Nutrient ratios and combinations may be even more important
  • Vitamin K2 is critical, as the biological role of vitamin K2 is to help move calcium into the proper areas in your body, such as your bones and teeth. If you take supplemental vitamin D, you increase your body's need for vitamin K2
  • Calcium, vitamins D and K2, magnesium and a host of other trace minerals, work synergistically together to promote strong, healthy bones, and your sodium to potassium ratio also play an important role in maintaining your bone mass
  • Exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise, helps maintain strong, healthy bones. Acceleration Training or Whole Body Vibration Training has also been proven effective for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...content=art1&utm_campaign=20130705JLY4BNOMENT

Matt Leiser

Story at-a-glance -
  • Recent research suggests that the timing of calcium and vitamin D supplementation may actually influence how your bones adapt to exercise, and help decrease exercise-induced calcium loss
  • While the featured research is interesting, I believe it falls short in terms of making a health recommendation that will result in improved bone health. Nutrient ratios and combinations may be even more important
  • Vitamin K2 is critical, as the biological role of vitamin K2 is to help move calcium into the proper areas in your body, such as your bones and teeth. If you take supplemental vitamin D, you increase your body’s need for vitamin K2
  • Calcium, vitamins D and K2, magnesium and a host of other trace minerals, work synergistically together to promote strong, healthy bones, and your sodium to potassium ratio also play an important role in maintaining your bone mass
  • Exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise, helps maintain strong, healthy bones. Acceleration Training or Whole Body Vibration Training has also been proven effective for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fi...content=art1&utm_campaign=20130705JLY4BNOMENT

Great post Vince. I have just discovered Dr Mecola's interviews and have really enjoyed listening on my morning commutes.

James

Good post Vince! Very informative. I'm embarrassed to say I took my son to the orthopedic doc today who said vitamin K and calcium have nothing do with bone strength. And even if levels are low, he wouldn't need supplementation. I was waiting for him to say he was joking.

Matt Leiser

Good post Vince! Very informative. I'm embarrassed to say I took my son to the orthopedic doc today who said vitamin K and calcium have nothing do with bone strength. And even if levels are low, he wouldn't need supplementation. I was waiting for him to say he was joking.

Wow. I'm curious. What was the recommendation then?

James

Matt - he recommended a dose of 1,000 iu vitamin D. That's not even likely to get my son near the bottom of the vitamin D range. The wife and I are going to talk about it tonight and will make a decision. In the end all will be well.

Vince

Super Moderator
You must go out home to recieve Vitamin D with the sunlight
People who don't have their skin exposed to sunlight often or live a long way from the equator can take vitamin D3 capsules."Vitamin D supplementation of 2000 IU daily to healthy adults altered the expression of 291 genes in the peripheral blood white blood cells, affecting >80 different metabolic processes." Many people take more than 2000 IU vitamin D3 daily but they won't have the same health benefits as someone has from careful sun exposure.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/105/5/1031.full

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching