I Have Polycythemia But Doctor Does Not Want to Order Phlebotomy

Buy Lab Tests Online
Hi,
I've been on TRT for about 6 years.
Recently, my Doctor told me I have polycythemia.
He sent me to a hematologist with my blood test results.
I was hoping he was going to prescribe therapeutic phlebotomy, but instead, he said we'll just keep and eye on it.
I was a little bit angry and disappointed. I would go to a blood bank and donate blood, but I can't.
I had Hepatitis C and took interferon and ribavirin back in 2000.
I was determined to be undetectable after being on it for a year, so basically, I'm cured.
Unfortunately, I still can't donate.

Does anyone know what I can do to get around this predicament?
I am really frustrated, because most people on TRT can just go to a blood bank.
I can't and the doctor won't do anything.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Hi,
I've been on TRT for about 6 years.
Recently, my Doctor told me I have polycythemia.
He sent me to a hematologist with my blood test results.
I was hoping he was going to prescribe therapeutic phlebotomy, but instead, he said we'll just keep and eye on it.
I was a little bit angry and disappointed. I would go to a blood bank and donate blood, but I can't.
I had Hepatitis C and took interferon and ribavirin back in 2000.
I was determined to be undetectable after being on it for a year, so basically, I'm cured.
Unfortunately, I still can't donate.

Does anyone know what I can do to get around this predicament?
I am really frustrated, because most people on TRT can just go to a blood bank.
I can't and the doctor won't do anything.

Thanks
It would be nice if you post your levels.

Unless a local blood bank is willing to help, some physicians may need to write a letter of medical necessity for phlebotomy if requested by insurance companies.

How to Manage Increased Blood Thickness (Hematocrit) Caused by Testosterone Replacement Therapy

https://www.excelmale.com/forum/showthread.php?137-How-to-Manage-Increased-Blood-Thickness-(Hematocrit)-Caused-by-Testosterone-Replacement-Therapy

Just be careful and check what medicine youre taking. I cannot take grapefruits seeds since I take Losartan, Amlodipine and Wellbrutrin etc... I would like to be able but it seems too risky. Maybe it would be possible to take it in between the daily intake but I´m afraid of interactions. Just check you medicines before start with grapefruits juice or seeds.

CSI007

I haven't measure it on a scale (loose powder) but I do ~1tsp a day I think and just the subjective feeling is that its working for me. My last CBC had me at 50.X where I was expecting and should have been 53+.

I'm doing 1/2 GF each day. We'll see if it has any impact on my levels.

ratbag

This is sort of strange in the sense that your TRT MD says you have polycythemia but the hematologist doesn't do anything. Does the hematologist say you have polycythemia as well? Do you have the lab results of your CBC?

The Hematologist said it's high, but he wil just keep and eye on it. If I could, I would go right to a blood bank and donate. If I could do it myself I would. I feel so controlled by these people.

This is sort of strange in the sense that your TRT MD says you have polycythemia but the hematologist doesn't do anything. Does the hematologist say you have polycythemia as well? Do you have the lab results of your CBC?

I'm pretty upset right now.
i just came from my 2nd appointment with the hematologist.
They took some blood, then, he told me he's not going to do therapeutic phlebotomy.
I explained my situation and he said it's not high enough for him to have to do it.
He said it came up 16. I guess that's the Hemoglobin.
That's after skipping a dose. The last time I took my T was on Wednesday. That's 5 days ago. They took my blood today, Monday.
I'm not going back there. Why would I?
I'm so frustrated.

In hindsight why not call Defy and see if they can support you with this one specific thing, write you a script for the Phlebotomy and then take that to your blood bank? May not hurt to ask when you explain the situation with your Dr(s) and your Hep C history.

Saul

Will your TRT Dr. write the script to get a blood draw? Also, research cash doctors / clinics- they may be more flexible.

Basically, I have to have a pint of blood removed. Even, if I had a script, who would be willing to do the procedure?
Blood banks won't deal with me because I had Hep C 17 years ago. It doesn't matter to them that the virus is undetectable now, as a result of treatment. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone to a blood bank long ago.
I'm at the mercy of the Doctors and they make the decisions. it's not fair and it's very frustrating.

Will your TRT Dr. write the script to get a blood draw? Also, research cash doctors / clinics- they may be more flexible.

Basically, I have to have a pint of blood removed. Even, if I had a script, who would be willing to do the procedure?
Blood banks won't deal with me because I had Hep C 17 years ago. It doesn't matter to them that the virus is undetectable now, as a result of treatment. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone to a blood bank long ago.
I'm at the mercy of the Doctors and they make the decisions. it's not fair and it's very frustrating.
Thats why the script is for the phlebotomy at a blood bank, your blood is discarded because it can't be used. Blood Banks (some) charge a fee for the service because the blood cannot be used. This would cover your Hep C history. The reason you get turned away from a blood bank is because they can't use your blood, but the Phleb script changes that.

So, you're saying if I had a script, they would do it? When I contacted them, they said my name came up in their database and it indicated that I can't donate.
The other problem is in finding a Doctor who would be willing to write a script. My Urologist says it's beyond his scope of practice. he referred me to a hematologist. I saw 2 different hematologists in that office and they both said they weren't going to have me receive therapeutic phlebotomy.
It's not fair. Those who can donate can go there without a script and donate a pint and I have to get written permission. Unfortunately, nobody is willing to give me permission.

Thats why the script is for the phlebotomy at a blood bank, your blood is discarded because it can't be used. Blood Banks (some) charge a fee for the service because the blood cannot be used. This would cover your Hep C history. The reason you get turned away from a blood bank is because they can't use your blood, but the Phleb script changes that.

CoastWatcher

So, you're saying if I had a script, they would do it? When I contacted them, they said my name came up in their database and it indicated that I can't donate.
The other problem is in finding a Doctor who would be willing to write a script. My Urologist says it's beyond his scope of practice. he referred me to a hematologist. I saw 2 different hematologists in that office and they both said they weren't going to have me receive therapeutic phlebotomy.
It's not fair. Those who can donate can go there without a script and donate a pint and I have to get written permission. Unfortunately, nobody is willing to give me permission.
You're not "donating," you're having blood removed, following which it will be destroyed. It's done all the time for men who have hiv infection, hepatitis, whatever medical issue disqualifies them from serving as a blood donor.

All you you need is a doctor who will sign the form.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching