Testosterone Makes Some Drugs Ineffective

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

An interesting article on how testosterone creates sex specific differences in how drugs work.

Scientists looked at the biochemical relationship between testosterone and five anti-inflammatory drugs that interfere with leukotriene production. The female blood samples were shown to have higher levels of leukotrienes than the male samples, but that was no surprise since it was already known that testosterone downregulates the molecule’s synthesis. “But we also wondered if the drugs that block leukotrienes are more efficient in females than males,” said Werz.
That’s exactly what Werz and his colleagues found; testosterone made the drugs less effective, which created a significant difference in drug potency between sexes. One of the drugs tested, MK886, was close to eight times more effective at reducing leukotrienes in blood samples collected from women compared to men. Another, sulindac sulfide, had almost no effect in male blood samples at all, but was effective in the female samples.

Not knowing about the sex-specific potency of these drugs may have prevented women who suffer from these diseases from accessing potentially helpful medicines. Three of the five drugs that Werz tested -- including MK866 -- were not approved for use because they were shown to be ineffective. That judgement was based on clinical trials during the 1980s and 1990s in which women were not properly included, said Werz.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jinzang

Leukotrienes are chemicals produced by white blood cells that cause inflammation. White blood cells are an important part of our immune system and inflammation fights infection. But it also causes unpleasant symptoms, so there are anti-inflammatory drugs to control inflammation.
Testosterone has a natural anti-inflammatory effect and men have fewer problems with a number of diseases caused by inflammation, headaches, for example. Women, who for obvious reasons don't have or want high testosterone levels, are more in need of anti-inflammatory drugs. But because drug tests are often only conducted on men, some drugs that could help them go unrecognized.

FOX1

Leukotrienes are chemicals produced by white blood cells that cause inflammation. White blood cells are an important part of our immune system and inflammation fights infection. But it also causes unpleasant symptoms, so there are anti-inflammatory drugs to control inflammation.
Testosterone has a natural anti-inflammatory effect and men have fewer problems with a number of diseases caused by inflammation, headaches, for example. Women, who for obvious reasons don't have or want high testosterone levels, are more in need of anti-inflammatory drugs. But because drug tests are often only conducted on men, some drugs that could help them go unrecognized.

Interesting "Testosterone has a natural anti-inflammatory effect"
I had a serious motorcycle RTA 1982 and now suffer osteoarthritis in various joints, in 2013 - MRI scans of the HIPS showed that I would require a "double hip replacement" in near future.
Surgeon said when I could no longer stand the pain it was time to have them replaced.
February 2016 I started TRT and now I have zero hip pain!!! is it a coincidence? I do not know but all pain gone

I noticed some of my autoimmune issues (asthma/allergies) improved after testosterone, but I assumed that it must have been in my head. I guess it might be overkill that I also use montelukast, which is a leukotriene receptor antagonist. Of course, I had no idea that testosterone might interact with that.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me