T4 (Levothyroxine) Medication - Do I have to stay on it forever?

Buy Lab Tests Online

HanOng

Hi Everyone

Having been on T4 Levothyroxine for nearly 1 year with a dosage of 100mg daily (divided into 2 X 50mg), my thyroid panel has been pretty consistent with the typical results of:-

TSH: 0.04 mIU/L
T4: 10.9 pmol/L

Free T3 was within range but my doctor advised me against running the test as it will fluctuate throughout the day.

My question is if I have to be on this protocol forever or is there a way to come off it? If I continue my daily T4 dosage, I am sure my TSH will remain suppressed but if I come off it, my T4 will dip and I will go back to hypo.

By the way, I am on TRT for over 3 years with dosages of 200mg test cyp. weekly.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all insights.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

captain

You don't need to divide Levothyroxine dose its long acting. You are not really doing anything by dividing it. If your doctor doesn't want to check T3 find a different doctor. I have heard of people getting off of thyroid after supplementing with iodine. It depends on why you are on thyroid meds.

HanOng

Thanks Captain.

Noted that the division of dosing doesn't make much of a difference; I was just playing it safe for absorption as I understand that it's best to be taken on an empty stomach but as I consume many small meals over the day, I slot them in between meals (1.5 - 2 hours after) as I eat every 3-4 hours.

I have also been on kelp (650mg iodide) and 200mcg selenium daily before I was on levothyroxine and continue to supplement while on it.

My doctor also runs my T3 a few times (not as often as T4 / TSH) and they were always within range while on levothyroxine.

Is there anyway to get off medication or am I on it for life?

Vince

Super Moderator
I would have to say that hypothyroidism is a life long illness, it should be treated for the rest of your life.

captain

I think your kelp is probably 650mcg not 650mg. I would look into taking both iodine and iodide such as iodoral or lugol's. Vitamin C is a good idea to take with it. I recall reading that it will take 6 months for your thyroid numbers to adjust. Go to YouTube and look for Dr. David Brownstein and Jorge Flechas for iodine and thyroid info.

Last edited:

HanOng

Hi Captain

Thanks for the referrals, the information's really insightful.

Unfortunately, like what Vince had said, this problem is probably a lifetime illness.

Cheers!

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching