TRT, Statins and Heart Disease

Buy Lab Tests Online

meelord

I would like to get feedback on how folks view statins, heart disease and TRT. I am persuaded that having low T is a cardiac risk factor. Indeed I have five stents to prove it. I have genetically high cholesterol and did have terrible eating habits in my younger days (fast food). However I am not sure that I want to take statins (e.g., Lipitor, Crestor, Vytorin, etc.) because I think they have a negative affect on my libido and cognition. Finally in reading through the various TRT community sites I get the sense that there is a negative view of statins given the vital cholesterol/testosterone/hormone connection. Any thoughts, feedback, research would be greatly appreciated.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Blackhawk

With your elevated cholesterol history, your situation is very different than mine, almost opposite, so take this only as one guy's story.

I have never had significantly high cholesterol, nor other risk factors except chronic stress and borderline low HDL. But, after having exercise induced angina, had a big stent placed for a 95-98% occlusion of the LAD artery, and was put on statins at that time. I ended up with a statin nightmare, mainly slow insidious muscle loss/wasting/pain/weakness/fatigue and some liver SxS prior to a major overall health crash including being diagnosed with low T and hypocholesterolemia. 3 weeks after discontinuing the Lipitor, I still tested with remarkably high CK-CPK.

I believe this event led to undermining production of hormones in my body due to the lack of cholesterol as a building block, plus other potential factors from the statin damage.

It has been long term, 2 1/2 years now, and I have not recovered exercise capability and recovery. Has been an ongoing struggle for pretty meager results.

So in my case, apparently statins were a bad choice.

Still waiting to sort out the hormone woes. Only a month until consultation ("only" spoken with a bit of sarcasm.)

rhino5169

Its good to keep your lipid numbers where they should be, but keep in mind it doesn't have a lot to do with CAD.
I understand that 50% of people that present with heart attacks have perfect lipid numbers.

My cardiologist wants me on a statin (of course) not for my numbers (which are great at this point) but because i have a couple stents starting at a pretty early age (30's) and he says the statin would prevent an event.

Im on the fence also. Ive been back and forth for months about taking or not taking it. Its only a low dose 10mg of pravastatin.

rhino5169

I highly recommend reading Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's excellent book on statins, cholesterol & supposed cardiac risk:

The Great Cholesterol Con

His website:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

The first of 36 posts by Kendrick on "What causes heart disease" (note that this series gets quite technical):

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/01/18/what-causes-heart-disease/

I just clicked on that first link to the cholesterol con book. I read the intro and while I agree where it states statins have a bunch of side effects I 100% disagree with this statement:
" This groundbreaking study exposes the truth behind the hype surrounding statins and reveals a number of crucial facts, including that high cholesterol levels do not cause heart disease; that high-fat diets—saturated or otherwise—do not affect blood cholesterol levels;"

When I went on a low card eating plan I increased my fat intake and at my next labs they showed my numbers went from really good to really bad. I then cut out all that fat and my numbers were perfect at my next labs.

There are 3 sides to every coin.

SoCal Guy

Often when one adopts a low-carb diet, triglycerides will skyrocket. That's because insulin levels drop on a low-carb diet. And in a low-insulin environment, your fat cells are now shrinking, not growing. So your fat cells are now venting fat, rather than storing fat.

That fat is vented into the bloodstream as triglycerides. So if you blood test during this transitional period, blood levels can look bad.

Here's another video where someone discusses how cholesterol levels are actually super variable. (ie, anyone can radically improve their cholesterol levels within three days). Thus they may not be as diagnostic as commonly believed.

[Cue to 18:34 to see how anyone can get the lowest cholesterol of their lives within just three days -- without statins. (And at 27:06, there's a trick on how anyone can lower their life insurance premium.)]

Last edited:

rhino5169

SoCalguy -

I will definitely watch the video. If you cant learn every day then give up.

Having said that, you're pretty defensive and aggressive in your post to me. In fact even to the point of belittling me by deciding what I would or wouldnt watch, basically calling me close minded.
Im not sure why you did any of that especially since I did none of that to you, I only commented on the book, not on you personally. Im not sure why you took it personal and your reply was not cool and uncalled for, you could simply have debated or pointed out the things you did without coming at me personally.
I could go on but I dont feel like coming down to that level. Its a waste of time.

BTW, my lipids are fine on a low carb diet, It was when I increased my fat intake that things changed.

GeorgeW

I strongly suggest you do two things:

1. Go to the facebook forum 'side effects of statins' - there are several groups about statins, you could join them all...

2. There's a blog called statincrap that as I am new I cannot link to but if you google it.....

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me