Testosterone Increases Liver Volume in a Dose Dependent Manner

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
liver.jpg

Animal data shows that testosterone administration increases the volume of some parenchymal organs. However, the effects of exogenous testosterone on solid abdominal organs in humans remain unknown. The present study evaluated the effects of testosterone administration on the volume of liver, spleen and kidneys in a dose-response trial. Young healthy men aged 18–50 years participating in the 5α-Reductase (5aR) Trial. All participants received monthly injections of 7.5 mg leuprolide acetate to suppress endogenous testosterone secretion and weekly injections of 50, 125, 300 or 600 mg of testosterone enanthate, and were randomized to receive either 2.5 mg dutasteride (5 α-reductase inhibitor) or placebo daily for 20 weeks. Liver, spleen and kidney volumes were measured at baseline and the end of treatment using 1.5-Tesla magnetic resonance imaging. The dose-effect of testosterone on changes in the volume of parenchymal organs was evaluated by linear regression model. The association between changes in total testosterone (TT) levels and changes in organ volumes were assessed. Testosterone administration increased liver volume dose-dependently (17.4 cm3 per 100 mg of weekly testosterone enanthate; p = 0.031); the increase in liver volume was positively associated with changes in TT levels (R2 = 0.08, p = 0.024). A dose-dependent, but non-significant, increase in kidney volumes was also seen. Inclusion of dutasteride use into the models showed an independent association of randomization to dutasteride group with liver volume increase. In conclusion, Testosterone administration increased the liver volume in a dose-dependent manner. The potential changes in parenchymal organs should be considered when interpreting apparent changes in lean mass in response to anabolic interventions.

Study

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

johnt

Increasing liver volume I believe is a good thing if my understanding is correct. As we age there are reductions in liver blood flow and volume. An NIH article on liver disease in menopause notes that liver volume, blood flow and function decrease approximately 1% per year after age 40 to 50 years old.

Brandtw

Hmmm... don't alcoholics have enlarged livers as well? That doesn't seem like a good thing. I know that is considered "Fatty Liver", is this the same thing or is that enlarged liver able to process more toxins?

CoastWatcher

Hmmm... don't alcoholics have enlarged livers as well? That doesn't seem like a good thing. I know that is considered "Fatty Liver", is this the same thing or is that enlarged liver able to process more toxins?

"Fatty Liver," which can present in an alcoholic or non-alcoholic environment, is a totally different issue.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me