Should You Wear a Weightlifting Belt When You Lift?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
What the weightlifting belt does do is provide a proprioceptive cue to your torso to squeeze and tighten your core muscles harder when you’re lifting a really heavy weight. Just as you can tense your bicep muscles more when you’re curling 20lb dumbbells than when you’re curling a couple of soup cans, your core muscles can tense up more when they’ve got something to push against. The weightlifting belt provides that pushback.

So instead of directly supporting your torso, a weightlifting belt indirectly supports it by providing feedback to your core to tighten and make itself as rigid as possible.

So, the next time some Instagram dudebro tells you weightlifting belts are cheating, you can tell him what’s what.

Now that you know what a weightlifting belt does, let’s get into the specifics of when and how you should wear one.

More details here

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

1oldsoul

I never wore one, but there are times I know I should have. Those times are when I'm either fatigued like yesterday doing high volume squats, or when I'm not mentally focused or rushing the workout. Stritcly focusing on perfect form and pace seems to be the key for minimizing injuries.

On one hand, I do agree with the author that the belt can serve as feedback to keep your core tight during the lift; but I have also seen many people slap on a belt and never even notice the feedback. They ignore the feedback, use terrible form and get injured.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
I wear one all time and for years...I like the security it provides.

Dexter Jackson has won one for most of his professional bodybuilding career and it works for him LOL;)

TRTME

I wear one for deadlifts and squats, I always liked the support it gives and I feel I can brace better. Gives me a reference point to expand my stomach against. Not sure if that makes sense but I always feel more stable with one on.

FOX1

In my Younger years of weight lifting and body building (early 1980's) the weight lifting belt was an essential piece of kit, everyone had one, everyone used one, especially for heavy squats.

I gave up weights in mid 90's when I got heavily into Sky Diving & Surfing, along with marriage and work, some hobbies had to go and this was my weights.

I returned to weights early this year, Joined a good Gym and now attend regular 4 times a week, I am totally amazed at the youngsters and most members who preform squats without a weight belt, I even offered a shot of mine and I got a look as if horns growing out of my head.

Anyone (in my view) who carries out heavy squats (twice body weight) and does now wear a belt, is an accident waiting to happen. When you injure your back once or twice when lifting, you will soon become very thankful of the weight lifting belt.

I swear by it and will always use one for squatting, T-Bar Rows and heavy Bar Bell Curls as well as other lifting when strain is put on lower back.

Cheating!!!! I couldn't give a dam what anyone thinks, its my back, and I will protect it, for those who don't use a belt, the day you injure your back you sure as heck will wish you did.

Your body, Your Choice.

Eager

I've heard to never use one except unless your some kind of powerlifter using maybe not the greatest form or using extrordinary weight.

gymrat350

Cheating!!!! I couldn't give a dam what anyone thinks, its my back, and I will protect it, for those who don't use a belt, the day you injure your back you sure as heck will wish you did.

Your body, Your Choice.

I couldn`t agree more, now i just need to get one for myself.........:cool:

I'm a strong proponent of wearing a belt, using wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, and knee sleeves for the appropriate exercises. I don't care what anyone else in the gym has to say about it!

http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/weight_belts.pdf
http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/1_146451374.pdf
https://uwaterloo.ca/kinesiology/people-profiles/stuart-mcgill

He has written many good books regarding back health and his views on the use of weight belts are interesting to say the least.

I have been to a few of Dr. McGill's seminars and have two of his books. Everyone who seriously workouts out should read his stuff. I have not worn a weight lifting belt since I first started reading his information and attended his seminars. But I don't deadlift or squat less than 5 reps. If I was doing less than 5 reps I would use a belt. You need to know how to activate and stiffen your core. However a previous or current back injury changes everything.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me