Creatine Phosphokinase (CPK) - Does Testosterone Impact It?

Buy Lab Tests Online
I have slightly elevated CK 188 U/L and my doc asked me if I´ve been doing exercises which I havent. So I asked him that I´m on TRT and inject 4 times a week (2x testo+2x HGC) and he said yes it can be the cause. I don´t know if that can be correct. I´m on statins as well but maybe that has no influences on CK.

Any info out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
This is your kidney labs, right? I'm not sure that exo T of itself can be the cause but your Dr is correct that exercise/muscle mass/weight training can elevate a Creatinine test.

Yes Vince is the kidney lab. Anyway he doesn´t think it´s that high 188 U/L.
I´m more of concern of my values of Eritrócitos 5,55 (4,50--5,00) Hematocrine 17,6 (should be under 17) and Hemoglobin 53 (40-50). The plateles are perfect though. Since I can´t donated blood I´ll guess I need to have break from testo or reduce the amount per week.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have slightly elevated CK 188 U/L and my doc asked me if I´ve been doing exercises which I havent. So I asked him that I´m on TRT and inject 4 times a week (2x testo+2x HGC) and he said yes it can be the cause. I don´t know if that can be correct. I´m on statins as well but maybe that has no influences on CK.

Any info out there?

Tommy

Heck, your CPK is low. My runs at 650.

There are many reasons for high CPK:

CPK is creatine phosphokinase, an enzyme found mainly in the heart, brain, and skeletal muscle. It is tested by taking a blood sample.

High CPK can indicate muscle destruction, heart attacks, central nervous system issues, and others. Long term exposure of high CPK can load up your kidneys, and may cause muscle loss and weakness.

A CPK blood test is usually not included in the usual lab work unless you ask for it. Sometimes we have no symptoms when CPK is high, but most of the time we have body aches and soreness. CPK can increase with exercise, but if you exercise frequently and you have baseline CPK info, you can tell what may be drug induced after you start a certain medication. My CPK is 650, which is very high, but I cannot get off my meds since I am on my last HIV salvage regimen that adds to the problem.

To make sure your high CPK is not induced by heavy exercise, do not exercise for 5 days before the test.

Some medications can also increase CPK. Among them are statins, amphotericin B, ampicillin, some anesthetics, blood thinners, aspirin, clofibrate, dexamethasone, furosemide, alcohol, and cocaine. HIV medications like Isentress and Selzentry have also been reported to increase CPK in some patients.

Low thyroid function can also be a cause of high CPK, so get it checked.

There is no treatment. If CPK gets really high, doctors try to switch you to another medication, but it is very difficult for some patients to switch since they have no other options.

Some doctors prescribe corticoid steroids to reduce whatever the inflammation may be, but this is not a cure. Corticoid steroids can lower bone density, cause water retention and fat gain, and have been linked with joint bone death (necrosis), so they are not a good option to stay on for the long term.

If you are taking statins with or without fibrates, high CPK may indicate muscle related problems that these drugs can cause in some people. Statins (with or without fibrates) can cause rhabdomyolysis which can cause destruction of muscle tissue in few patients and increase CPK. Some patients have anecdotally reported improvements of this problem by taking Coenzyme Q-10 (statins lower it) and a good antioxidant formula.

In the old days of heavy AZT use in HIV treatment, we used to experience muscle myopathy and high CPKs that were sometimes successfully treated with L-Carnitine (over 1500 mg/day). I have not seen any data on the use of this supplement for high CPK induced by newer HIV drugs. I use it but my CPK is still higher than normal (If I do not exercise for 2 weeks, my lowest CPK is 400)

CPK Test

Is this the same Creatinine we see on a CMP in the states? I always refrain from gym work 72hrs prior and make sure that I'm fast and well hydrated but even then I get high normal and just above range tests, which my NP trips about but I don't see the problem, given muscle mass, gym time, and so forth.

GEORGE TOULIATOS

In case of an elevated CPK,doctors also check out fragment CK-MB of myocardium.Usually,its elevated under AMI,along with troponin protein,ALT,AST,LDH.All these biochemical measurements are part of a damaged heart muscle.
Another case is rhabdomyolysis effect,under vigorous physical activity.Also numerous IM injections can damage skeletal muscle tissue and reflect on serum CPK.Finally cocaine abuse can lead to rhabdo as well.
You should know that as striated muscle is broken down,myoglobin protein responsible for O2 transport to contractile muscles, is released into plasma.Apparently that protein becomes toxic to renal glomerulus.
But rhabdo is officially when CPK is >10x its higher range.Therefore,when CPK>1,000 it evaluated as something to be concerned of.Today there was apatient in my office,who's CPK was>12,000!
As i excpected,one of his transaminases was elevated.This occurs,simply because both muscle-,liver and heart share common receptors for ALT/AST-SGPT/SGOT.
189a2e47-0083-4342-bdb8-031b45e9d535-original.jpg

RX

I'm on testosterone 150-250 mg for 4 years. Last blood work my Creatine kinase is: 1.315 U/L

lab says normal range is:
20U/L - 200U/L

should I concern?

jcmaxwell

This is your kidney labs, right? I'm not sure that exo T of itself can be the cause but your Dr is correct that exercise/muscle mass/weight training can elevate a Creatinine test.

No, the creatinine and CPK tests are totally different. CPK is a muscle enzyme that is increased when muscle is damaged. The "C in CPK stands for creatine, which is not the same as creatinine. However, a high CPK and high myoglobin can damage kidneys.

Match

High creatinine can be caused by excess protein or kidney problems, which make excretion difficult, okay? But high CPK and Myoglobin tb increase Creatinine ?because in general because these same people ingest too much protein?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me