D3 capsules does not give the same health benefits as sun exposure

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
People who don't have their skin exposed to sunlight often or live a long way from the equator can take vitamin D3 capsules."Vitamin D supplementation of 2000 IU daily to healthy adults altered the expression of 291 genes in the peripheral blood white blood cells, affecting >80 different metabolic processes." Many people take more than 2000 IU vitamin D3 daily but they won't have the same health benefits as someone has from careful sun exposure.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/105/5/1031.full

Sadly - the only interventional research papers didn't treat to a particular level - and used a very small dosage..

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Re-Ride

Vince, Good find! Oral supplementation yields little or no improvement in serum 25-OH-D? Yes its possible and does occur in a tiny minority of individuals such as myself. Extensive sun exposure alone yields no improvement either. Using a chronic skin ailment as an indicator to immune response I find that relief comes only with both sun exposure and a high grade D3 supplement such as Bio-Tech.

Healthy north Americans likely get sufficient sun. 10-30 minutes of mid morning / late afternoon summer sun is ideal. They need to focus on avoidance and protection especially from mid-day summer sun and/or high elevation exposure. Those with chronic health conditions might consider the implications of the limited research.

Will Brink

Vince, Good find! Oral supplementation yields little or no improvement in serum 25-OH-D? Yes its possible and does occur in a tiny minority of individuals such as myself. Extensive sun exposure alone yields no improvement either. Using a chronic skin ailment as an indicator to immune response I find that relief comes only with both sun exposure and a high grade D3 supplement such as Bio-Tech.

Healthy north Americans likely get sufficient sun. 10-30 minutes of mid morning / late afternoon summer sun is ideal. They need to focus on avoidance and protection especially from mid-day summer sun and/or high elevation exposure. Those with chronic health conditions might consider the implications of the limited research.

Of course it does, data and a lot of clinical experience shows it does.

Re-Ride

Of course it does, data and a lot of clinical experience shows it does.
Why did you omit hi-lighting the sentence that follows Will? Nonresponders are documented in research as well as clinical settings. The point of the referenced article though is that sun exposure seems to provide benefits not provided by oral supplementation, something I have found to be true in my personal experience.

This is not the first time this has been mentioned in these pages.

Will Brink

Why did you omit hi-lighting the sentence that follows Will? Nonresponders are documented in research as well as clinical settings. The point of the referenced article though is that sun exposure seems to provide benefits not provided by oral supplementation, something I have found to be true in my personal experience.

This is not the first time this has been mentioned in these pages.

I highlighted what I thought the key sentence to respond to. On non responders, they exist in all studies, as well as super responders. By vite D non responder, you do you mean there's no changes in 25OHD in response to the dose given? Or, there's a stat sig change in 25OHD but no changes in other metrics for which an improvement in 25OHD one would expect to see?

If the former, I find that's usually a dosing issue and some require surprisingly high doses of D3 to see changes in 25OHD. Some people need to do a vitamin D loading phase to get levels of 25OHD follow by a maintenance dose.

- Will @ www.BrinkZone.com

Re-Ride

Read my posts and review at my labs or research this further.

I highlighted what I thought the key sentence to respond to. On non responders, they exist in all studies, as well as super responders. By vite D non responder, you do you mean there's no changes in 25OHD in response to the dose given? Or, there's a stat sig change in 25OHD but no changes in other metrics for which an improvement in 25OHD one would expect to see?

If the former, I find that's usually a dosing issue and some require surprisingly high doses of D3 to see changes in 25OHD. Some people need to do a vitamin D loading phase to get levels of 25OHD follow by a maintenance dose.

- Will @ www.BrinkZone.com

Will Brink

Read my posts and review at my labs or research this further.

Will take a look if you post the thread URL. Believe me, read probably 1k blood tests by now over the years, and I have yet to find a dose of D3 that didn't raise 250HD, some times requiring a loading phase.

Will Brink

Will I'm currently at 5000 iu a day levels are 55. Do you think going to 10000 would be a good idea to try to get closer to 100 blood level?

Are talking ng/mL or nmol/L? If the former, 50-60 seems the sweet spot for benefits without risk of toxicity, but studies are ongoing and that may change up or down.

Will Brink

Ng/ml so i guess dont increase?

My advice would be you're GTG, but perhaps there's some newer data suggesting close to 100 better? Guess I'm unclear why closer to 100 your goal. Not aware of any data suggesting that would be harmful per se but you're getting closer to the levels that may be an issue over time.

Re-Ride

Will take a look if you post the thread URL. Believe me, read probably 1k blood tests by now over the years, and I have yet to find a dose of D3 that didn't raise 250HD, some times requiring a loading phase.

Search is your friend. https://www.vitamindwiki.com/Reasons+for+low+response+by+vitamin+D+level+in+the+blood
A scholarly search will lead you to the studies.

A long time ago the U.S. gov had a campaign to "inform" the public about green monkeys and people who attended a convention in Haiti. Decades later it was found that many of these people who purportedly played with or ate the monkeys had severely impaired D metabolism. Its just an association of course. Was the low D condition the cause or the result of the alleged monkey play? We may never know however it is well documented that within this cohort are non and low responders many of who can not raise their 25-OH-D levels at all or only to insufficiency levels over a long time and only with mega doses pf 100,000 IU per week. So there's one example. If one considers that persons who allegedly play with or eat monkeys are demographically insignificant in the U.S. then it is not surprising that your survey of 1,000 lab results was not inclusive of this group.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
When one is supplementing with vitamin D3 it's also important that they're also supplementing with vitamin K2. Also vitamin A plays a role but I do not believe is critical that you supplement vitamin A. I think is more important to get it from the food you eat.

Gman86

Vince is spot on. It's actually critical to get enough Vitamin K2 when supplementing with Vitamin D. You could actually be doing more harm than good if you aren't getting enough K2 while supplementing with Vitamin D. A lot of people are unaware of this. 100-200mcg of K2/ day should be plenty while supplementing Vitamin D.

Vince

Super Moderator
Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue called "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox."

Here's a brief paragraph on page 116 of her book. She poses the question...

"What will increase cellular production of MGP but leave it inactive? Taking large amounts of vitamin D (which increases MGP production) without also taking K2. If you, like millions of others, have followed the good news about vitamin D by taking a supplement, you need to balance it with vitamin K2 and A."

On page 182 of her book she describes vitamin A, D and K2 as a balancing act "that modern science doesn't yet entirely understand."

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me