TRT & Swelling: Understanding and Managing It

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Swelling is one of TRT's most troublesome and hard to manage side effects. It occurs (in my estimate) to about 20 percent of users. The potential causes could be cortisol build up, increase sodium retention, in rare cases high estradiol, or cardiovascular issues. I am enclosing several posts on these issues.

Most cases of lower extremity (peripheral) edema has nothing to do with estradiol and a lot to do with cardiovascular issues. My number one suggestion if edema does not get better after a month on TRT is to get a full cardio work up by a cardiologist.

Some men report decreased edema after a short cycle of a diuretic like HTZ, so that is something to explore. Low sodium intake and plenty of water plus cardio may also help. Cardio exercise and sweating in a sauna have also been reported to help. But these are speculations that should not replace a good cardiovascular work up.

Pulmonary hypertension caused by sleep apnea has also been reported as a cause.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0215/p589.html

"A common but under-recognized cause of edema is pulmonary hypertension, which is often associated with sleep apnea. Venous insufficiency is treated with leg elevation, compressive stockings, and sometimes diuretics. The initial treatment of idiopathic edema is spironolactone. Patients who have findings consistent with sleep apnea, such as daytime somnolence, load snoring, or neck circumference >17 inches, should be evaluated for pulmonary hypertension with an echocardiogram."

edema[swelling] what is the cause

Ankle swelling after starting testosterone injections

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

meelord

Thanks Nelson. This is an important issue. I just watched your video with Dr. Ramasamy where he states that BOTH testosterone and estradiol cause water retention. Since starting T therapy I have gained a significant amount of weight 15+ pounds and I have started to snore. I have used AI at low does intermittently with some success, but I actually think at this point I need consider bringing down my T dose from 140 mg a week. Sex drive is good, mood is generally good and sugar craving has significantly abated.

I would curious if anyone else has had success dropping water weight by reducing T dose.

I am somewhat swollen from TRT, had a Cortisol test done recently and the results are on the low side. A build up of Cortisol may cause swelling, but not in my case. My E2 is around 40, but TT at trough is 1000, FT ar 24.5 (labcorp ranges).

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me