PSA Test: No Sex for How Long Prior?

Buy Lab Tests Online

ratbag

So I've read here that I should not have sex before a PSA test since it inflates the value. So how long do I go without before I go for labs?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Yes 48s hrs is suggested, not to be pedantic but no sex means NO sex, including masturbation. I see some forums where guys dont grasp (pun intended) that no sex means what it says.

ratbag

My list gets longer. My regular MD says no drinking alcohol for 3 days prior to blood test (he claims it skew's the ALT) and now this no sex 2 days prior. :(

Vince

Super Moderator
That's for men 50 and older, men 40 and under there should be no PSA change. I'm 62 and still have sex the day before my PSA test. I don't believe ejaculation significantly affects the PSA.

CoastWatcher

That's for men 50 and older, men 40 and under there should be no PSA change. I'm 62 and still have sex the day before my PSA test. I don't believe ejaculation significantly affects the PSA.

In my case it raised it by 1.40 - a retest, after abstaining from ejaculation showed it back where it had always sat.

Last edited:

Will Brink

And if it did, I'm still having the sex. Man has to draw the line some place...

Vince

Super Moderator
In my case it raised it by 1.40 - a retest, after abstaining from ejaculation showed it back where it had always sat.
Wow, that's incredibly high. How long did you abstain, at least 72 hours? Ejaculation may raise your PSA but we know it won't hurt your prostate.

Will Brink

Just say you prefer the DRE over the blood test. There's no shame. We won't judge you.

I'll do anything for science

Wow, that's incredibly high. How long did you abstain, at least 72 hours? Ejaculation may raise your PSA but we know it won't hurt your prostate.

Quite the opposite:

"Two relatively large studies of this question, reported in 2003 and 2004, yielded good news for sexually active men: high ejaculation frequency seemed to protect against prostate cancer.

As part of Harvard's Health Professionals Follow-up Study, 29,342 men between the ages of 46 and 81 reported their average number of ejaculations per month in young adulthood (ages 20–29), in mid-life (ages 40–49), and in the most recent year. Ejaculations included sexual intercourse, nocturnal emissions, and masturbation. Study participants also provided comprehensive health and lifestyle data every two years from 1992 to 2000. The scientists found that men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 33% lower risk of prostate cancer compared with men who reported four to seven ejaculations a month throughout their lifetimes.

An Australian study of 2,338 men came to a similar conclusion. In all, men who averaged 4.6 to seven ejaculations a week were 36% less likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer before the age of 70 than men who ejaculated less than 2.3 times a week on average. The study found no connection between prostate cancer and the number of sex partners. (An earlier study, however, found that men who had sex with 30 or more women were two to three times more likely to develop prostate cancer than men with only one partner.)

Further study is needed to investigate possible protective mechanisms. In theory, emptying the prostate of potentially irritating or harmful substances might be one such mechanism. Regardless of the reason why, take comfort in the fact that ejaculation is not only pleasurable, but also may convey health benefits."

SOURCES: Leitzmann MF, Platz EA, Stampfer MJ, et al. Ejaculation Frequency and Subsequent Risk of Prostate Cancer. Journal of the American Medical Association 2004;291:1578–86. PMID: 15069045.
Giles GG, Severi G, English ER, et al. Sexual Factors and Prostate Cancer. BJU International 2003;92:211–16. PMID: 12887469.

http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/does-frequent-ejaculation-help-ward-off-prostate-cancer

Pranayama

I ejaculated the morning before a PSA test about a year ago and it raised it 1.6 for a total of 3.3 from a re-test without ejaculation of 1.7 after Dr. Saya told me to abstain from ejaculation for 24 hours at least the next test.

So in summary: Ejaculation morning of produced result of: 3.3. No ejaculation for 24 hours produced result of: 1.7

Vince

Super Moderator
I'll do anything for science

Quite the opposite:

"Two relatively large studies of this question, reported in 2003 and 2004, yielded good news for sexually active men: high ejaculation frequency seemed to protect against prostate cancer.

As part of Harvard's Health Professionals Follow-up Study, 29,342 men between the ages of 46 and 81 reported their average number of ejaculations per month in young adulthood (ages 20–29), in mid-life (ages 40–49), and in the most recent year. Ejaculations included sexual intercourse, nocturnal emissions, and masturbation. Study participants also provided comprehensive health and lifestyle data every two years from 1992 to 2000. The scientists found that men who ejaculated 21 or more times a month enjoyed a 33% lower risk of prostate cancer compared with men who reported four to seven ejaculations a month throughout their lifetimes.

An Australian study of 2,338 men came to a similar conclusion. In all, men who averaged 4.6 to seven ejaculations a week were 36% less likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer before the age of 70 than men who ejaculated less than 2.3 times a week on average. The study found no connection between prostate cancer and the number of sex partners. (An earlier study, however, found that men who had sex with 30 or more women were two to three times more likely to develop prostate cancer than men with only one partner.)

Further study is needed to investigate possible protective mechanisms. In theory, emptying the prostate of potentially irritating or harmful substances might be one such mechanism. Regardless of the reason why, take comfort in the fact that ejaculation is not only pleasurable, but also may convey health benefits."

SOURCES: Leitzmann MF, Platz EA, Stampfer MJ, et al. Ejaculation Frequency and Subsequent Risk of Prostate Cancer. Journal of the American Medical Association 2004;291:1578–86. PMID: 15069045.
Giles GG, Severi G, English ER, et al. Sexual Factors and Prostate Cancer. BJU International 2003;92:211–16. PMID: 12887469.

http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/does-frequent-ejaculation-help-ward-off-prostate-cancer
Yes, that's what I meant, frequent ejaculations won't hurt your prostate.

CoastWatcher

I consistently had elevated psa results when I tested w/in 36 hours of ejaculating. Once I built in an extra 12 hours, 48 hours w/no ejaculation, the scores are again at baseline. Damage the prostate? Of course not. Elevate the psa result? Certainly did for me.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
My last psa, I had sex the afternoon before my lab. My psa was 1.5 ng/mL, maybe next time I'll try to abstain for 24 hours.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me