Anti Inflammatory Diet - Looking for Suggestions

Buy Lab Tests Online

Grapple333

I was wondering if anyone can recomend an anti inflammatory diet. I herniated a few discs and I am in pretty bad pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

KSPhD

In time, slow progressions with an inversion table would be beneficial. TENS can also help reduce pain, temporarily by gating the pain. Also the use of a reverse hyper would be very beneficial!

Grapple333

In time, slow progressions with an inversion table would be beneficial. TENS can also help reduce pain, temporarily by gating the pain. Also the use of a reverse hyper would be very beneficial!

I did get an inversion table. How often would you use it and for how long? What is reverse hyper?

KSPhD

I use mine daily. Usually after my workout or after work. Start slow and limit the angle of inversion at first. The key is breathing and relaxing. I am not fully inverted very long - typically like 30 seconds or so where I focus on breathing deeply and relaxing. When I come up, I generally hang out around horizontal for 1 min or so, then back down for 30. I do this over and over for 5-10 min. When done, come back to horizontal and slowly make your way to the vertical position so you don't get dizzy or pass out. Reverse Hyper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUSbjvYDQ8

Saxon

Inversion tables are controversial. I have actually witnessed a woman hurt herself "playing" with an inversion table. Be careful. I'm not saying they are bad but please get some real training on how to use it safely. Go slowly. Get a foam roller and a lacrosse ball to start your stretching.

madman

Super Moderator
I was wondering if anyone can recomend an anti inflammatory diet. I herniated a few discs and I am in pretty bad pain.

This man is considered the go to guy regarding spinal health. He has written numerous books and his life revolves around educating people the importance of back health. Check out his videos and the man definitely despises sit ups.

JMP

I had a slipped disk a number of years ago, went to PT and did the usual PT exercises. It got better but never great. Over the next few years, at times, I would always get the feeling that it was about to go out. Finally I trusted in someone who convinced me that my back was fine, it was just weak. I began to deadlift and squat. At first with lightweights then progressively heavier ones concentrating on good form. I have now in about 6 months doubled both lifts in weight and have not had any more twinges that feel like my back will give out at any moment. The first couple of times that I deadlifted, I was nervous and my back did not feel great but after 3-5 workouts it felt better and better. Just another perspective.

Grapple333

I had a slipped disk a number of years ago, went to PT and did the usual PT exercises. It got better but never great. Over the next few years, at times, I would always get the feeling that it was about to go out. Finally I trusted in someone who convinced me that my back was fine, it was just weak. I began to deadlift and squat. At first with lightweights then progressively heavier ones concentrating on good form. I have now in about 6 months doubled both lifts in weight and have not had any more twinges that feel like my back will give out at any moment. The first couple of times that I deadlifted, I was nervous and my back did not feel great but after 3-5 workouts it felt better and better. Just another perspective.

I like that prospective. Any specific type of deadlift or squat that you do. I know there are several different variations and bars. Anything else you've added to things to help your recovery? Keep me updated on how you progress.

Grapple333

This man is considered the go to guy regarding spinal health. He has written numerous books and his life revolves around educating people the importance of back health. Check out his videos and the man definitely despises sit ups.

Thanks I've actually looked into a few of his things as well as McKenzie. Any takeaways from his stuff that you found most helpful. Also that is quite a mustache that dude has.

JMP

Grapple, I do the low bar squat and the traditional deadlift. I learned technique and programming through Mark Rippetoe of Starting Strength. He has lots of free videos available. I did not do his exact program as I need more recovery time than he suggests. I basically lift using sets 3 sets of 5 with heavy weights after a progressive warm-up). One day on, two days off. Exercises are as mentioned, squat & deadlift, standing shoulder press, bench press,(this is where I changed programming a bit) chin-ups or some type of row instead of the power clean that Rip recommends, some bicep bar curls and a tricep exercise. I also try to walk or hike more often on the off days to keep the vertebrae moving and lubricated.

JD-5

AIP (auto-immune protocol) diets are by design anti inflammatory. Sarah Ballantine's "The Paleo Approach - Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body" is the best reference I have seen on the subject. She is a PHD microbiologist with a background in medical research.

Sakuraba39

For me stretching my hamstrings is the biggest help.

I have multiple disc issues and cannot agree more with this statement. If your herniations are lumbar, stretching your hamstrings are paramount. If I go more than a couple of days without a couple sets of modified stiff-leg deadlifts (I use my kettlebells) and draping myself over a stability ball (for decompression), I can feel trouble brewing. It starts as tightness behind my knees and creeps its way up until I'm in serious pain.

As far as reducing dietary inflammation, eliminating simple sugars, processed foods and grains is the most practical way to go.

1Draw

So I've been in pt but we have only focused on extension not flexion stretches. How long did you wait after acute pain to introduce flexion stretches. Is there anything else you utilized in your recovery?

I have a degenerative disc at L4-L5 and a bulging disc at L5-S1. Was in severe lower back pain for a long time until I did these 3 things:

1. Purchased a Sleep Number mattress and set it as firm as I could.
2. Found an excellent massage therapist and a chiropractor.
3. Sleep on a heating pad every night.

I also did several Yoga classes which helped tremendously. It included a lot of stretching especially the ham strings. My lower back pain is now much much better. I don't know if diet can actually allow bad disc to heal. You have to find someway to lessen the pressure around the disc and allow blood to flow to help heal it.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me