One More Hour of Sleep Improves Glucose and Insulin in Men with Sleep Restrictions

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Sleep. 2015 May 1;38(5):707-15. doi: 10.5665/sleep.4660.

Beneficial impact of sleep extension on fasting insulin sensitivity in adults with habitual sleep restriction.

Leproult R1, Deliens G1,2, Gilson M1, Peigneux P1.

Abstract

STUDY OBJECTIVES:

A link between sleep loss and increased risk for the development of diabetes is now well recognized. The current study investigates whether sleep extension under real-life conditions is a feasible intervention with a beneficial impact on glucose metabolism in healthy adults who are chronically sleep restricted.

DESIGN:

Intervention study.

PARTICIPANTS:

Sixteen healthy non-obese volunteers (25 [23, 27.8] years old, 3 men).

INTERVENTIONS:

Two weeks of habitual time in bed followed by 6 weeks during which participants were instructed to increase their time in bed by one hour per day.

MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS:

Continuous actigraphy monitoring and daily sleep logs during the entire study. Glucose and insulin were assayed on a single morning blood sample at the end of habitual time in bed and at the end of sleep extension. Home polysomnography was performed during one weekday of habitual time in bed and after 40 days of sleep extension. Sleep time during weekdays increased (mean actigraphic data: +44 ± 34 minutes, P < 0.0001; polysomnographic data: +49 ± 68 minutes, P = 0.014), without any significant change during weekends. Changes from habitual time in bed to the end of the intervention in total sleep time correlated with changes in glucose (r = +0.53, P = 0.041) and insulin levels (r = -0.60, P = 0.025), as well as with indices of insulin sensitivity (r = +0.76, P = 0.002).

CONCLUSIONS:

In healthy adults who are chronically sleep restricted, a simple low cost intervention such as sleep extension is feasible and is associated with improvements in fasting insulin sensitivity.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I always heard that too much sleep was not good for you neither. I guess you need to find that area that feels good to you.. I know I need about 7 hours of sleep to feel good during the day. There are times when I get 5 hours asleep and it slows me down for the rest of the day. But the strange thing is I still feel good when I workout and not tired, at least not during my workout. :)

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me