New Member: Waiting For Initial Labs

Buy Lab Tests Online
I just wanted to say I was glad that I found this forum even though I still haven't received my lab results yet.

My story is I'm 44 years old, I exercise regularly, and eat way better than I ever have in my life. I found myself with low energy, no motivation, I can't concentrate like I used to, and no matter how hard I try, I can not lose my midsection fat. When I track my calories by weighing everything, I tend to lose muscle instead of fat.

My wife is a social worker, and she gave me an ultimatum, either get my hormone levels checked or see a psychiatrist. I picked option A. I'm just worried that my labs will come back normal and option B may be on the table. I had a bad experience with antidepressants prescribed for being misdiagnosed with TMJ fifteen years ago, so you can understand my aversion to psychiatrists.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I just wanted to say I was glad that I found this forum even though I still haven't received my lab results yet.

My story is I'm 44 years old, I exercise regularly, and eat way better than I ever have in my life. I found myself with low energy, no motivation, I can't concentrate like I used to, and no matter how hard I try, I can not lose my midsection fat. When I track my calories by weighing everything, I tend to lose muscle instead of fat.

My wife is a social worker, and she gave me an ultimatum, either get my hormone levels checked or see a psychiatrist. I picked option A. I'm just worried that my labs will come back normal and option B may be on the table. I had a bad experience with antidepressants prescribed for being misdiagnosed with TMJ fifteen years ago, so you can understand my aversion to psychiatrists.

Get your hormones checked first. If option B must be taken, see a counselor first, rather than a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist will prescribe meds, a counselor will explore other options and refer you to a psychiatrist only as a last resort. There are other interventions that can work better than medications.

Also, don't rule out cognitive behavioral therapy. What you are dealing with may not be an either or proposition. Too many people, especially men, want a quick fix for mental health issues. Old fashioned work and effort can also improve mental health as well .

Full disclosure. I am a licensed counselor and I see this all the time. Even if you get your hormones in place, the world won't be all puppies and rainbows. Get you body right, but don't neglect to do some work on your mental health as well. They can go hand in hand.

Welcome to Excelmale. What labs did your doctor order?

Thanks for the welcome, but this is sad, because I don't exactly know what labs were ordered. I was referred by my wellness physician to an endocrinologist that specializes in TRT and they took 4 vials of blood while I was there along with a copy of my annual physical lab results. The nurse drawing my blood did mention something about hormone levels and thyroid being checked, but I didn't pay attention to the rest of the stuff. She did want a copy of my labs to make sure they didn't duplicate anything done just last month. Regardless, my follow-up appointment is on Friday, so I'll know more then.

Right now, I am of the mindset that if this helps, I don't care about cost or what was done. I just want to get pointed in the right direction towards feeling better! At first I was just telling myself that I'm getting old and I just need to get adjusted to things not working the way they used to ten years ago. Now, I realize there is something more to it than that.

Right now, I am of the mindset that if this helps, I don't care about cost or what was done. I just want to get pointed in the right direction towards feeling better! At first I was just telling myself that I'm getting old and I just need to get adjusted to things not working the way they used to ten years ago. Now, I realize there is something more to it than that.

You are only 44 and, whether or not you know it, you are still a young man. You still have 30 or 40 more years to get fit and stay that way. If they tell you you have to accept aging, get a new doctor because it just isn't true. If you are not happy with what they tell you, ask for a referral to someone who knows about this stuff. The average endocrinologist doesn't know enough to help someone in your situation.

Don't take no for an answer. If your testosterone and hormones are good, see a counselor and maybe a nutritionist. You can get better. Today in my 60s, I feel as good as I did in my early 40s. Abilities change and workouts need to be modified a bit, but you can still feel great and maintain muscle mass.

And don't forget that mental attitude is more important than anything else.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Thanks for the welcome, but this is sad, because I don't exactly know what labs were ordered. I was referred by my wellness physician to an endocrinologist that specializes in TRT and they took 4 vials of blood while I was there along with a copy of my annual physical lab results. The nurse drawing my blood did mention something about hormone levels and thyroid being checked, but I didn't pay attention to the rest of the stuff. She did want a copy of my labs to make sure they didn't duplicate anything done just last month. Regardless, my follow-up appointment is on Friday, so I'll know more then.

Welcome to EM! Glad you joined!! OK, the good news is that 4 vials of BW is being checked, that has the potential to cover a lot of ground. One (1) step at a time ... Get those labs, hear what your medical team has to say, then post them here and see what comments we have for you.

Well, I forgot to request a copy of my labs, but I will repeat what I was told. My testosterone levels are in the tank (326), my free testosterone was really low, and my thyroid is under-productive. As a result weekly testosterone injections will happen for the next month prior to obtaining more blood work for a long-term plan. I was also prescribed Nature Throid to take daily and Anastrozole to take once a week. Edit: I was also sold BioTE DIM to take as a supplement.

Here's to hoping that I am on the right path to feeling better.

CoastWatcher

Well, I forgot to request a copy of my labs, but I will repeat what I was told. My testosterone levels are in the tank (326), my free testosterone was really low, and my thyroid is under-productive. As a result weekly testosterone injections will happen for the next month prior to obtaining more blood work for a long-term plan. I was also prescribed Nature Throid to take daily and Anastrozole to take once a week.

Here's to hoping that I am on the right path to feeling better.
I'm a bit puzzled. While I'm glad your doctor recognized that the total testosterone value you presented with requires attention, what was meant when you wrote "prior to obtaining more blood work for a long term plan?" It's standard practice to obtain a complete panel of tests prior to the start of therapy. Was your LH, FSH, and SHBG run? A baseline PSA is a mandatory test, too. And what about estradiol?

Without some of these you and your doctor are guessing as to what an appropriate protocol would look like. For example, are you dealing with primary or secondary hypogonadism? The answer is in the LH and FSH results. Do you need multiple, smaller injections of testosterone per week, or will a single injection result in better results? Your SHBG gives the answer to that question. Is the control of estradiol going to likely require anastrozole, if not now, down the road? That can only be known when the estradiol/sensitive test is run.

Do you know if these were run? When do you start your injections?

I'm a bit puzzled. While I'm glad your doctor recognized that the total testosterone value you presented with requires attention, what was meant when you wrote "prior to obtaining more blood work for a long term plan?" It's standard practice to obtain a complete panel of tests prior to the start of therapy. Was your LH, FSH, and SHBG run? A baseline PSA is a mandatory test, too. And what about estradiol?

Without some of these you and your doctor are guessing as to what an appropriate protocol would look like. For example, are you dealing with primary or secondary hypogonadism? The answer is in the LH and FSH results. Do you need multiple, smaller injections of testosterone per week, or will a single injection result in better results? Your SHBG gives the answer to that question. Is the control of estradiol going to likely require anastrozole, if not now, down the road? That can only be known when the estradiol/sensitive test is run.

Do you know if these were run? When do you start your injections?

I started my injections today. The additional blood work after a month is to see how I am responding to the current treatment and if it needs to be tweaked for the long-term plan. I had a complete panel done before, but he wants to see how my body responds to the plan of action because as he put it, not everyone responds the same.

CoastWatcher

I started my injections today. The additional blood work after a month is to see how I am responding to the current treatment and if it needs to be tweaked for the long-term plan. I had a complete panel done before, but he wants to see how my body responds to the plan of action because as he put it, not everyone responds the same.

He's right. Absent results, we're not able to offer any more than our best wishes. You'll have no trouble injecting yourself, it becomes routine very quickly. Good luck.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me