Why It Is Harder To Add Muscle Mass As We Age?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
We lose muscle mass and strength as we age. This is known as sarcopenia.
Muscle loss could begin in our 30s. Genetics and lifestyle play a major factor and there is a lot of inherited individual variability
There are several reasons why we become weaker: Our nervous system becomes more inefficient, our muscle quality decreases, our anabolic hormone secretion decreases, our bodies develop chronic inflammation and anabolic resistance.
How to prevent age-related muscle loss: eat more protein – at least 1.2g/kg BW up to 2g+/kg (counter-indication: careful if you have damaged kidneys), strength training with high intensities and volumes, active lifestyle outside the gym, supplement various nutrients like vitamin E, D, and omega-3s (if you are deficient).
There are also riskier solutions, but for those you have to see your doctor.
Anabolic Resistance: Why it is Harder to Add Muscle Mass as We Age and How to Fight It • Sci-Fit

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I know this is an old post, but I wonder if this would be true for those who continue to work out throughout their lifetime?

It certainly was for me. I was 61 when I started TRT and got on because of this. I have been lifting and doing resistance work consistently since 1967. After late 40's I couldn't make any gains and injuries were frequent. Since starting TRT, I have gained back some muscle and replacing weights with resistance band training has helped considerably with muscle building. I am back to where I was in my early 40s, but inevitably the decline will return. I try to delay it by packing on as much lean muscle as I can without too much fat and size for the sake of bulk. Sarcopenia will return, but I want to hold off as long as I can.

I saw a quote from Sylvester Stallone the other day where he said “You're as healthy as your joints.” I believe that and that's why I train exclusively with bands today.

Saul

I saw a quote from Sylvester Stallone the other day where he said “You’re as healthy as your joints.” I believe that and that’s why I train exclusively with bands today.

I agree with that. It is often my limiting factor and can control what lifts I can do. Why do you believe or find that bands are easier on the joints?

I agree with that. It is often my limiting factor and can control what lifts I can do. Why do you believe or find that bands are easier on the joints?

Because the initial movement of any exercise is easy and it gets harder throughout the movement. Take a curl for example. If you are curling 45 lbs you are moving all of it from the start and then less after the midpoint. With a band, the movement is easy initially but very hard at the end. More muscle and less joint. Your joints are not taxed, the muscles are. Google resistancebandtraining.com . Watch the exercises and see what I'm talking about. When the muscle is at its strongest point, resistance is greatest and when the joint is most vulnerable, resistance is light to non existent. And, trust me, they are a great workout. I dropped 8% body fat and gained 7 lbs body weight age 62 to 64. Granted, it could also happen with weights, but I know me. I would have gotten hurt somewhere during that time. I've been training almost continuously since 1967 and the past 15 were a battle with injuries. Stallone can afford TRT, HGH, stem cell therapy and whatever is out there. I can't, so I got to be smart.

Kroneborge

Thanks for this idea. my wrists have been bothering me for years. I used to take a lot of NSAID's but now just Ice my wrists after I lift (which usually does the job). But I will look into these bands.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me