The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
J Strength Cond Res. 2017 Apr 7. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001935.

The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles in Resistance Training Males.

Wilson JM1, Lowery RP, Roberts MD, Sharp MH, Joy JM, Shields KA, Partl J, Volek JS, D'Agostino D.

Abstract

This study investigated the impact of an isocaloric and isonitrogenous ketogenic diet (KD) versus a traditional western diet (WD) on changes in body composition, performance, blood lipids, and hormonal profiles in resistance-trained athletes.

METHODS:

Twenty-five college aged men were divided into a KD or traditional WD from weeks 1-10, with a reintroduction of carbohydrates from weeks 10-11, while participating in a resistance-training program. Body composition, strength, power, and blood lipid profiles were determined at week 0, 10 and 11. A comprehensive metabolic panel and testosterone levels were also measured at weeks 0 and 11.

ketogenic keto diet.jpg

RESULTS:

Lean body mass (LBM) increased in both KD and WD groups (2.4% and 4.4%, p<0.01) at week 10. However, only the KD group showed an increase in LBM between weeks 10-11 (4.8%, p<0.0001). Finally, fat mass decreased in both the KD group (-2.2 kg ± 1.2 kg) and WD groups (- 1.5 ± 1.6 kg). Strength and power increased to the same extent in the WD and KD conditions from weeks 1-11. No changes in any serum lipid measures occurred from weeks 1-10, however a rapid reintroduction of carbohydrate from weeks 10-11 raised plasma TG levels in the KD group. Total testosterone increased significantly from Weeks 0-11 in the KD diet (118 ng/dl) as compared to the WD (-36 ng/dl) from pre to post while insulin did not change.

CONCLUSIONS:

The KD can be used in combination with resistance training to cause favorable changes in body composition, performance and hormonal profiles in resistance-trained males.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

BigTex

J Strength Cond Res. 2017 Apr 7. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001935.

The Effects of Ketogenic Dieting on Body Composition, Strength, Power, and Hormonal Profiles in Resistance Training Males.

Wilson JM1, Lowery RP, Roberts MD, Sharp MH, Joy JM, Shields KA, Partl J, Volek JS, D'Agostino D.

Abstract

This study investigated the impact of an isocaloric and isonitrogenous ketogenic diet (KD) versus a traditional western diet (WD) on changes in body composition, performance, blood lipids, and hormonal profiles in resistance-trained athletes.

METHODS:

Twenty-five college aged men were divided into a KD or traditional WD from weeks 1-10, with a reintroduction of carbohydrates from weeks 10-11, while participating in a resistance-training program. Body composition, strength, power, and blood lipid profiles were determined at week 0, 10 and 11. A comprehensive metabolic panel and testosterone levels were also measured at weeks 0 and 11.

RESULTS:

Lean body mass (LBM) increased in both KD and WD groups (2.4% and 4.4%, p<0.01) at week 10. However, only the KD group showed an increase in LBM between weeks 10-11 (4.8%, p<0.0001). Finally, fat mass decreased in both the KD group (-2.2 kg ± 1.2 kg) and WD groups (- 1.5 ± 1.6 kg). Strength and power increased to the same extent in the WD and KD conditions from weeks 1-11. No changes in any serum lipid measures occurred from weeks 1-10, however a rapid reintroduction of carbohydrate from weeks 10-11 raised plasma TG levels in the KD group. Total testosterone increased significantly from Weeks 0-11 in the KD diet (118 ng/dl) as compared to the WD (-36 ng/dl) from pre to post while insulin did not change.

CONCLUSIONS:

The KD can be used in combination with resistance training to cause favorable changes in body composition, performance and hormonal profiles in resistance-trained males.
Here is the full study

Seems this study adequately covered the strengths and problems with the Keto diet. One issue in the Discussions,

However, the current study found that peak power only increased in the​
WD and not KD from weeks 1-10. Following a one-week reintroduction of​
carbohydrates, the KD group experienced an increase in muscle power which​
negated differences between conditions. Research indicates that short sprints (6 s)​
are highly reliant on fast glycolytic capacity (5).​

If you are doing an activity that involves the use of fast glycolytic muscle fibers (Type IIx), not having glucose is going to be a big negative. In the sport of powerlifting for instance, I tried this diet and went for 3 months, I was having a great deal of difficult coming close to my old max in the 3 lifts being on thsi diet.

In the 90's Vince McMann hired Dr. Mauro DiPasquale to work with athletes of the World Bodybuilding Federation using the keto diet hoping to cut down on the amount of steroids being used. At show time, some of the top pro's came in looking flat and much less muscular. The bottom line is glycogen fills muscle cells and make a bodybuilder appear much harder and cut.

Attachments

• The_Effects_of_Ketogenic_Dieting_on_Body.96026.pdf
    562.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

BigTex

A total testosterone improvement of 154 points for the keto diet is startling.

This is a 50 y.o. orthopedic surgeon & fitness buff who has been setting worldwide rowing records for his age class on a meat-only diet. More than the recommended amount of dietary protein is enough to kick you out of ketosis:

https://twitter.com/sbakermd?lang=en
A meat only diet is not Keto, Keto is high fat.. Proteins are a source of gluconeogenic substrates and can be used to produce glucose under fasting or a low-carbohydrate intake.

According to two of the leading experts on the keto diet, Dr Stephen Phinney & Dr. Jeff Volek:

10% or less carbs <50
20% or less Protein 1.2 - 2g/kg

Adaquate sodium 3000-5000mg/d
Total fat >150g/d
Avoid polyunsaturates fats
Adaquate potassium (vegies/broth) 3000-4000mg/300-500mg magnesium
Saturated fats OK
A keto diet is Not a high protein diet/high fat

In conclusion, this study highlighted the fact that a significant proportion of the carbon skeletons released from dietary AA deamination was converted into glucose during the 8 h following the ingestion of a protein-lipid and carbohydrate-free meal.

Last edited:

testiculus

A meet only diet is not Keto, Keto is high fat.. Proteins are a source of gluconeogenic substrates and can be used to produce glucose under fasting or a low-carbohydrate intake.

According to two of the leading experts on the keto diet, Dr Stephen Phinney & Dr. Jeff Volek:

10% or less carbs <50
20% or less Protein 1.2 - 2g/kg

Adaquate sodium 3000-5000mg/d
Total fat >150g/d
Avoid polyunsaturates fats
Adaquate potassium (vegies/broth) 3000-4000mg/300-500mg magnesium
Saturated fats OK
A keto diet is Not a high protein diet/high fat

In conclusion, this study highlighted the fact that a significant proportion of the carbon skeletons released from dietary AA deamination was converted into glucose during the 8 h following the ingestion of a protein-lipid and carbohydrate-free meal.
Agree with most of the above. A carnivore diet can be ketogenic, but typical grocery store beef cuts are too lean. The ideal cut is untrimmed ribeye. Not a cheap diet...

When I experimented with the carnivore diet, I found I could stay in ketosis with higher protein intake than the Phinney/Volek recommendations. But this only held true with a zero carb intake, 20 g/day of carbs and you gotta cut protein back to stay in ketosis.

I highly recommend the carnivore diet if you have any kind of GI issues. A couple of months of carnivore works wonders at healing intestinal inflammatory diseases. Otherwise, I think there's not any benefit over a standard ketogenic diet. It can be a difficult diet to follow as it becomes monotonous after a while.

testiculus

The amount of carbs and protein that allow you to maintain a blood level of ketones >0.5 mmol/L. Carbs have a bigger effect than protein on ketone levels, and for most carbs will need to be <50g/day to reach this level of ketones. For some carbs will need to <20g/day to reach this level of ketones.

BigTex

The biggest problem with trying to keep in ketosis is so many things have >1g of sugar in them which qualify them as "sugar free." Most all of the sugar substitutes will also kick you out of ketosis. Processed meats and cheese are also out. My wife loves this diet and started it in bodybuilding years back. NO ONE does this any longer in contest prep.

testiculus

If this is your first time trying a keto diet and are serious about staying in ketosis, you should assume that anything that is processed will knock you out of ketosis until proven otherwise. The first time I tried keto, I had problems with breakfast and couldn't figure out what was causing my ketone levels to drop. Turns out the breakfast sausage I was eating had a bunch of sugar in it.

BigTex

Dr. RIchard Kreider from Texas A&M just sent me this study back in 2018 on Ketogenic Diets and muscle hypertrophy.

Vargas, Salvador & Romance, Ramón & Petro, Jorge & Bonilla Ocampo, Diego & Galancho, Ismeal & Espinar, Sergio & Kreider, Richard & Benitez-Porres, Javier. (2018). Efficacy Of Ketogenic Diet On Body Composition During Resistance Training In Trained Men.: 769 Board #30 May 30 2. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 50. 166. 10.1249/01.mss.0000535634.18139.f9.

Abstract

Nowadays, ketogenic diet (KD) is widely used in body aesthetics for changing body composition, even though there is a lack of research regarding to the possible benefits on muscle hypertrophy.

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of an 8-week KD during energy surplus and a resistance training protocol on muscle hypertrophy in trained men.

METHODS: 24 healthy men (age 30 ± 4.7 years; weight 76.7 ± 8.2 kg; height 174.3 ± 19.7 cm; > 2 years of consecutive training experience) performed an 8-week resistance training (RT) program with similar hypertrophy training variables. Participants were randomly assigned to either a KD (10:20:70, n=9), or a non-ketogenic diet (55:20:25, n=10, NKD), or a control group (n=5, CG) in hypercaloric condition (39 kcal · kg−1 · d−1). Body composition changes were measured by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) before and after each nutritional intervention and training program in all participants. Compliance with the ketosis state was monitored by measuring urinary ketones weekly. Statistical evaluations to determine significant differences between groups and substantive significance were performed with paired t-test, where critical α was p < 0.05, and Cohen’s d effect size (ES), respectively.

RESULTS: There was a significant reduction in fat mass (Δ= -10.4%, p =0.030, ES = 0.46) and abdominal visceral adiposity in KD (Δ= -16.3%, p =0.008; ES = 0.84); while no significant changes were observed in the NKD and CG groups. Muscle mass significantly increased after 8 weeks of RT program in the NKD group only (Δ=+2.1%, p <0.01, ES = 0.31).

CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that KD can be helpful for decreasing abdominal visceral adiposity and fat mass, but not to increase muscle mass during positive energy balance in men undergoing RT. This study shows the relevance of macronutrient manipulation in RT programs, in order to improve body composition parameters focusing on training goals (fat reduction and/or increase of muscle mass) in trained men.

So this diet might be helpful in burning body fat, but not helpful at all building muscle mass. Glucose seems to be the key.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me