Creatine Contraindications

Buy Lab Tests Online

Will Brink

Below is a side bar from a lengthy article I wrote on the recent studies covering the many potential benefits of creatine. This short side bar covers the possible contraindications of creatine

Are there any contraindications Of Creatine Monohydrate?

Hundreds of studies to date have shown that creatine monohydrate is an amazingly non-toxic and safe supplement with numerous benefits. Further studies directly examining possible side effects, both prospective and long-term retrospective (up to five years), have failed to find any serious side effects of creatine supplementation (65-69) on various markers studied, such as renal function, hepatic function, and others. So are there contraindications of creatine monohydrate?

Although creatine monohydrate is clearly safe for healthy people with a very low side-effects profile using up to 10 grams per day, are there specific groups who should not use it?

Again, the data suggest very few actual contraindications. The only people who should avoid creatine supplements are those with a history of renal disease and/or those taking nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys) medications. There's been a handful of case reports that show very high doses of creatine (and the reports were not always clear as to what form of creatine was used) were associated with kidney dysfunction.(70) Typical for such a simple case report, it's unclear what other medications were involved or pre-existing medical condition existed.

However tenuous the connection between high-dose creatine monohydrate and pre-existing kidney dysfunction, it's prudent to advise people with a history of renal disease and/or those taking nephrotoxic medications to avoid creatine supplementation until more data exists examining that connection. As creatine monohydrate supplementation may cause a transient increase in creatinine levels in some individuals, it may act as a false indicator of renal dysfunction.

Full Article via LEF HERE

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Will Brink

The focus is on the creatine -> creatinine link and in most people it does not raise creatinine. Two, stacks of studies find no effects of creatine supplementation on BP, nor kidney function, etc. If someone has pre existing elevated BP, a good idea to keep an eye on BP while using creatine just to be safe and should be considered a possible contraindication until more data exists looking specifically at creatine use in people with pre exisiting elevated BP.

rhino5169

Thanks for deciphering.
So does that mean that creatine does not increase BP directly, but creating makes the kidney's work harder )possibly) thus increasing BP?
Sorry for the ignorance, not my area of expertise.
My angle is that I stopped creating because of HBP, which is now much better, especially since starting with magnesium and Niacin, so im wondering if I could restart while keeping an eye on BP.

Secondary questions:
1. If I do restart and watch my numbers, what is the time frame that BP would increase? Days, weeks?
2. Is creating advisable or not advisable while on TRT, (water retention -> HBP)

Thx Will

Will Brink

Thanks for deciphering.
So does that mean that creatine does not increase BP directly, but creating makes the kidney's work harder )possibly) thus increasing BP?

As mentioned, no studies have found elevated BP, and in those with healthy kidneys, no effect on kidney function either. So, no reason to worry about creatine use and PB, unless you have pre existing elevated BP as a contraindication, and I'm only saying that because it has not been studied.

Sorry for the ignorance, not my area of expertise.
My angle is that I stopped creating because of HBP, which is now much better, especially since starting with magnesium and Niacin, so im wondering if I could restart while keeping an eye on BP.

I'd hesitate to recommend you do that not knowing the underlying cause of the elevated BP. You could try 1g and see what happens, then go to 2g if you see no impact on BP. 2-3g is all you need it appears.

Secondary questions:
1. If I do restart and watch my numbers, what is the time frame that BP would increase? Days, weeks?
2. Is creating advisable or not advisable while on TRT, (water retention -> HBP)

Thx Will

Would likely take weeks or longer as tissue stores increase is my guess. In my view, creatine is advisable for everyone all the time with just a few possible acceptations per above. Creatine has so many potential benefits to mind and body it's a "no brainer" in my view. There's also studies that suggest creatine is good for the vascular system and one study found a drop in BP and a number of studies suggest cardiovascular benefits. Here's an interesting study:

Effects of dietary creatine supplementation on systemic microvascular density and reactivity in healthy young adults

"The main findings of this study are as follows: i) oral supplementation with creatine monohydrate in healthy, moderately physically active young adults improves systemic endothelial-dependent microvascular reactivity; ii) the supplementation also increased skin capillary density and recruitment, which are dependent on microvascular endothelial function; and iii) blood pressure was also reduced after the supplementation."

http://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-13-115

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching