The Importance of Labs

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sean Reed

Banned
[h=3]The Importance of labs[/b]One of the most critical things you can do to improve health and longevity is to get regular blood work. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of labs. Labs are one of the best steps you can take to protect your health and enhance your well-being. https://thepathologist.com/issues/1015/the-true-value-of-laboratory-medicine/

It is widely held that annual blood testing, labs, is the most important action you can take to avoid life-threatening disease. With labs in hand, you can catch critical changes in your body before they manifest as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, or a host of other diseases. Nowhere is this more important than if you are using steroids and or on TRT. Having the proper blood tests can empower you to enact a science-based disease-prevention program that could add decades to you life.

The importance of labs is why I strongly recommend at least 2 screening a year (every 6 months).
Blood tests have benefits that go far beyond disease prevention. For example, by monitoring levels of testosterone, GH (measured as IGF-1) and TSH you can take decisive steps to enhance your quality of life, perhaps by correcting a depressive mental state, erectile dysfunction, abdominal fat, or by improving your memory and energy levels. For these markers you generally want to be in the high normal range (keep in mind that for TSH lower numbers equal a faster metabolism) for optimal health and performance.

PSA
For men, Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) is a protein manufactured by the prostate gland in men. Elevated levels may suggest an enlarged prostate, prostate inflammation, or prostate cancer. Elevated levels of PSA may not necessarily signal prostate cancer, and prostate cancer may not always be accompanied by expression of PSA. All doctors order this. If you are using steroids you will also need a prostate exam at least once a year. This exam sucks, you will hate (well most of you, lol) but but it is necessary.

Testosterone (Total and Free) and SHBG
Everyone looks at Total Test, but it is Free test that is really important. Free T is the Testosteron your body can actually use. High SHBG (Steroid Hormone Binding Glubule) can cause you to be deficient in Free T even though your total T looks normal.

TSH
Secreted by the pituitary gland, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) controls thyroid hormone secretion in the thyroid. When blood levels fall below normal, this indicates hyperthyroidism (increased thyroid activity, also called thyrotoxicosis), and when values are above normal, this suggests hypothyroidism (low thyroid activity). Overt hyper- or hypothyroidism is generally easy to diagnose, but subclinical disease can be more elusive.

It should be noted that the range for TSH was changed by endocrinologists in 2002, but many other doctors are unaware of this change.

Estradiol (estrogen)
Like testosterone, both men and women need estrogen for numerous physiological functions. Estradiol is the primary circulating form of estrogen in men and women, and is an indicator of hypothalamic and pituitary function. Men produce estradiol in much smaller amounts than do women; most estradiol is produced from testosterone and adrenal steroid hormones, and a fraction is produced directly by the testes.

Most steroids aromatize into estrogen. That is why you need either an AI or a SERM.
Keep in mind that a man needs SOME estrogen. AI’s are notorious for driving estro too low resulting in erectile dis function. That is why an AI twice week us usually enough to get the job done.

Liver Function tests
ALT AST, Albumin, Total protein, Bilirubin.

Hematocrit (Hem.)
Hem. measures your red blood cell count. The higher the better your cardio capabilities will be. Unfortunately, high Hem can also contribute to stroke. You need to closely monitor Hem., especially as you get older.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Sean Reed

Banned
LOLOLOL...I just noticed that the Defy discounted medical labwork is attached to my post. I SWEAR, that is just a coincidence, lol.

Lab work is expensive, a good portion of mine is covered by my insurance. If you do not have coverage Defy looks like an excellent option.

A few hundred dollars for labs is money well spent...very well spent. It is a huge part of the puzzle for improving our life's through science and information.

Sean Reed

Banned
Past Results
Graph of Past Results
Component Results

Component

Your Value

Standard Range

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]TESTOSTERONE LEVEL
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]719 NG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]300 - 890 NG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]16.3 NMOL/L
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]19.3 - 76.4 NMOL/L
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]CALC FREE TESTOSTERONE
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]22.0 NG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]4.8 - 25.7 NG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]Unless Otherwise Indicated, All Testing Performed At:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, 9200 Wall St., Austin, TX 78754
Laboratory Director: Mark A Silberman, M.D.
CLIA Number 45D0505003 Cap Accreditation No. 21525-01
[/TD]

These scores were me on 160 mgs test/week with a tiny amount of Masteron. Crazy, huh? My body is clearly a fast metabolizer. I have noted that I am different for a long time, I was not aware of the fact that there was literature on, or a concept of "fast metabolization."

I bumped my self up to 300 mgs test/week, so I am sure these numbers are higher.

I competed naturally in body building 6 times. I then switched over to the NPC and used a very low dosage steroid regime. It was not until I was coached by an IFBB pro that I used a large amount of steroids, which I did one time for 3 months.

After that I retired from competitive body building and took up something less dangerous, MMA (LOL). I competed on submission grappling and BJJ.

When I was fighting I did very low dosage gear programs, usually under 400 mgs/week followed by a pct and 3 months off.

This was many years ago, before the explosion of TRT. When I finished my PhD I got married and started a family. With a college teaching job I did not want to break the law. I did a pct and was 100% natural for years.

At the age of 47 I started having symptoms of low test and sure enough my TT was 281 and I have been on trt ever since.

My theory is that 20 years of TRT/gear use has simply caused my body to metabolize testosterone much faster than normal.

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]ESTRADIOL LEVEL
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]36.1 PG/ML
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]25.8 - 60.7 PG/ML
[/TD]

[TD="class: srchbl, colspan: 3"]I take 1 mg of Arimidex e4d
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]HEMATOCRIT
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]49.7 %
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]37.0 - 49.0 %
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]HEMOGLOBIN
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]17.0 G/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]13.0 - 17.0 G/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]CHOLESTEROL
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]153 MG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]<200 MG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]TRIGLYCERIDES
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]112 MG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]<150 MG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]HDL CHOLESTEROL
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]43 MG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]>39 MG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]LDL CHOLESTEROL CALCULATED
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]88 MG/DL
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]<100 MG/DL
[/TD]

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]LDL/HDL RATIO, SERUM
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]2.04 RATIO
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]<3.55 RATIO
[/TD]

My fat numbers are not fasted, and to be honest, I eat like a pig. I counter that with tons of HIT cardio.

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]SOMATOMEDIN-C
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]122 NG/ML
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]49 - 168 NG/ML
[/TD]

My GH levels, as measured via IGF-1 are naturally very low, around 70 ng/dl That is the bottom of the range for an old man and definitely not healthy. I use MK-677 in low dosage to prop my GH up. I have used Grey Tops in the past. 122 ng is a middling number, but my grey market source for MK-677 is gone so I use it sparingly.

I do have a script for pharm MK-677 which I may use, although it is over priced a bit.

[TD="class: nameCol srchbl"]PSA
[/TD]
[TD="class: valueCol"]2.56 NG/ML
[/TD]
[TD="class: rangeCol"]<4.00 NG/ML
[/TD]

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
You did only show a small part of your labs, but what you showed looks pretty good to me. My last labs I was using 100mg of testosterone cyp and 500iu of HCG every 3 1/2 days. I'm currently injecting testosterone daily, 20mg. I've never had to use an AI.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Sean, is your doctor cool with your PSA result of 2.56? Mine had jumped into the low 2's recently and my medical team was giving me the stutter step.

Sean Reed

Banned
Sean, is your doctor cool with your PSA result of 2.56? Mine had jumped into the low 2's recently and my medical team was giving me the stutter step.

Yes, although they insist I get manually checked every freakin' time I come in. They had a cute female Asian American doc doing a fellowship there for a while, but the last couple of times it was a dude w/ big hands. Ugh. I tell him every time he has to buy me dinner first with no luck.

The 2.56 is a limiting factor on my Mast use.

I posted my Lipschultz labs. I also get labs from my FP to monitor other variables.

Of note, my TSH jumped from 1.78 to 2.72. For those not familiar, TSH is basically a measure of your metabolism. The lower the faster, kind of like a golf score.

In 2002 The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists concluded that higher scores should be viewed more aggressively. I have been considering using a small amount of T 4.

My liver and Kidney functions are a bit high so I monitor them.

Vince

Super Moderator
Sean, when you say you inject 300 milligrams of testosterone weekly. I assume you're injecting testosterone cypionate. Do you inject once weekly , or do you inject multiple times a week. Most member inject every three and a half days. For nice steady levels. Also when you have labs done, do you have them on injection day before you inject?

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
LOL Sean, my GP is a small handed Asian female. She can't understand why I usually insist on a prostate check when I see her?!?! It's worth every penny of the $25 copay!!!

Sean Reed

Banned
Vince: E4D gives me nice steady levels. My last labs were done on day 4 before my next injections so they may have been slightly lower as a result.

BTW, I use Enanthate.

Zooka15

Im lost , I think this site is to help people learn and optimize TRT, The Title states importance of labs, but it recommends you need an AI or SERM. Also about a dosing of 300mg......no where near TRT. Im sorry , This seems like a post I would read on Tnation.

Sean Reed

Banned
LOL Sean, my GP is a small handed Asian female. She can't understand why I usually insist on a prostate check when I see her?!?! It's worth every penny of the $25 copay!!!

You give new meaning to the phrase "happy ending."

I have a story. It is highly inappropriate, so sensitive readers should move along.

My young and extremely beautiful wife has a tendency to be 20 lbs overweight. Her FP is an idiot, she got her medical license from a Cracker Jack box.

In 2002 The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) revised their ranges for TSH (the gold standard for measuring your metabolism). The higher the number, the slower your metabolism. The old range was .5 to 5. The new range was .3 to 3.
My wife scored at 3.4. This was around 2010, 8 years after the range revisions. My wife needed treatment, but her doctor was too stupid to be aware of the new range, even after I pointed out the AACE recommendation. She insisted that anything under 5 did not need treatment.

I was trying to explain things to my wife and her doctor, but they could not wrap their tiny heads around what the new standards meant. They were clueless.

I was frustrated, so I took a step back looked at the two of them and said "you two, just stay pretty." My wife knows what that means and said "oh no you didn't" to which I replied "oh yes I did. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Her Quack doc then looks at my paperwork and said "Mr Reed, it says here that you have not had an exam in some time. I have an opening right now."

Soooo, I was in the exam room with her nurse who was a solid 8. My wifes doc comes in, snaps her latex glove on and says "drop your pants and turn. I am going to check your prostate, and my nurse will check you for testicular cancer."

However, what she thought was punishment was in fact the opposite.

Sean Reed

Banned
Im lost , I think this site is to help people learn and optimize TRT, The Title states importance of labs, but it recommends you need an AI or SERM. Also about a dosing of 300mg......no where near TRT. Im sorry , This seems like a post I would read on Tnation.

It seems you are not aware of the interconnections of the endocrine system. Please look at the evidence. I am what is known as a hyper-processor. 200 mgs of test/week puts my TT around 700 ng and my Free T around 19, both within range. My FT would be lower if I did not manipulate it with another compound. I have seen many men score more than double my numbers from 200 mgs/week.

I am sure that what works for me will not work for you.

To get my body to where it should be requires more testosterone, or a compound that manipulates my SHBG. 300 mgs/week is a sweet spot. 300 mgs/week was prescribed to me by one of the worlds leading experts on TRT, Dr Larry Lipshults. It is also consistent with what I have learned in 25 years of experience with Testosterone and its derivatives.

https://www.larrylipshultz.com/about/dr-larry-lipshultz Lipshultz is very arrogant, but he does know his stuff.

Finally, when you take in exogenous testosterone your body metabolizes it. The end product is estrogen. There is variation, but the vast majority of men need either an AI (Aromatase Inhibitor) or SERM (Selective Estrogen Regulating Module) to manage these side effects. YMMV

AI's and SERMs are a core component of TRT. Both were created as breast cancer drugs but they have very difference mechanisms of action. My advice is to always have them BEFORE your start Test therapy.

Last edited:

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Excellent advise Sean!! Next time I see my GP, I will ask her to bring in her nurse (also about an 8) to cover the testicular region while she proceeds with a thorough prostate exam! Learning something everyday here!!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me