Why the Coronavirus Seems to Hit Men Harder Than Women...Estrogen Levels?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Cataceous

Super Moderator
New study says 'high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce' spread of COVID-19

According to the researchers' findings, "High temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19." An increase of just one degree Celsius and 1% relative humidity increase substantially lower the virus's transmission, according to the data analyzed by the researchers.
The study is the latest in a limited but growing body of research, not all of which has been peer-reviewed, that examines the effect of weather on the spread of the SARS-Cov-2 virus, which causes the COVID-19 illness.
Using the value R to represent the transmission, the paper also found that cities in northern China, where temperatures and relative humidity were lower, had larger transmission values than cities along the country's southeast coast.
1584578640690.png

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Guided_by_Voices

Iron overload is likely more common in men.

Also, not related to men, but note that outbreaks have been generally much more severe in the north where it has been winter, the sun has been weak, and hence Vitamin D levels are lower. Vitamin D is a key aspect of immune function.

Rock H. Johnson

If there is no cloud cover then the ultra-violet part of the sunlight spectrum could be a factor in killing off the virus while airborn.

Its 39C or 102.2F here today......

Cataceous

Super Moderator
There have been some pessimistic articles concerning possible help from the weather in fighting the virus. But here's a new one that's back to a note of optimism:
“The cold, dry air of winter clearly helps SARS-CoV2 -- the virus that causes COVID-19 -- spread among people,” explain the Yale researchers in a statement. “But as humidity increases during spring and summer, the risk of transmission of the virus through airborne particles decreases both outside and indoors in places such as offices.”

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Does Estrogen Help Fight Coronavirus COVID-19

Females, generally, mount more robust immune responses to viral challenges than males, which can result in more efficient virus clearance.122 Epidemiological studies showed that males experiencing a higher rate of incidence and case fatality compared with females after SARS‐CoV infection.123, 124 During the MERS outbreak, the disease occurrence rate in men was almost twice as much as in women and the case fatality rate was the same as the occurrence rate among men and women.125 In addition, Channappanavar et al had reported that male mice were more susceptible to SARS‐CoV infection compared with age‐matched female mice. However, the mortality was increased in female mice when the ovariectomy was done or the estrogen receptor antagonist was given.126 Wei et al127 also found that serum levels of prolactin, follicle‐stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone of SARS patients were significantly higher than those of control groups, while estradiol (E2), pregnancy hormone, and thyroid‐stimulating hormone were considerably lower than those of normal controls. Interestingly, estrogenic compounds had been found to reduce influenza A virus replication in primary human nasal epithelial cells derived from female, but not male, donors.128 In addition, resveratrol, a phytoestrogen from grape seeds and red wine, had been reported to be a potent anti‐MERS agent in vitro.129 Therefore, 17β‐Estradiol or phytoestrogen could also be an alternative option to be considered for the treatment of COVID‐19.

Source:
Potential interventions for novel coronavirus in China: A systematic review

Cataceous

Super Moderator
The vulnerability of the virus to higher temperatures and humidity has been confirmed, though how much this will help remains unclear:

DragonBits

I doubt it's that simple, I think genetics is also involved though E2 is involved.

" even elderly women with Covid-19 are outliving their male peers, and there is a drastic reduction in levels of hormones for women after menopause."

They are doing a test of both estrogen and progesterone on men, so we should know the results in a few months.

Can Estrogen and Other Sex Hormones Help Men Survive Covid-19?

Men are more likely than women to die of the coronavirus, so scientists are treating them with something women have more of: female sex hormones.

DorianGray

"...I doubt it's that simple, I think genetics is also involved though E2 is involved..."

I read somewhere that, overall, women fare better in longevity and immunity because of some factor(s) involving having that double X chromosome. Nice to have a backup, I guess.

pmgamer18

On the news this morning Russia is now the second largest country hit by the infection.
pmgamer18

CROM

When I was much younger I would use 200mg of testosterone per week for bodybuilding. That’s all I needed to build a lot of muscle since I have very low SHBG. But long-term at that dosage it caused an immune disorder. My immune system started attacking some of my organs. This was confirmed by an actual scientist. You can see a little of the tissue damage that occurred on an x-ray. There is much medical literature that the immune disorder that I had was a result of the elevated androgens from testosterone injections. That immune disorder causes a hyperactive cytokine response. And it’s the cytokine storm that seems to kill COVID sufferers. That immune disorder stopped right when I stopped taking steroid dosages of testosterone.

I think I was the first person to bring up the subject of TRT and COVID on this forum. I brought up the subject because COVID seems to affect people who have immune issues…

Did testosterone cause my immune issues, OR was it a combination of having exceptionally low SHBG and synthetic testosterone that caused this immune response, after all testosterone lowers SHBG. BUT doctors are now saying that androgen suppression might help prevent sever cases of COVID. Those same medications used to suppress androgens in COVID patients are the same medications used to treat people that suffer from the immune disorder I experienced.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Low T in men means higher risk? A tip of the hat to "cujet" over at PeakTestosterone for this:

Men with low testosterone levels that contract COVID-19 are at far greater risk of dying from the virus, a study has found.
A recent study found men are twice as likely to die from the coronavirus, but clinicians have been unable to determine why this is.
But a study from a German hospital of 45 COVID-19 patients admitted to intensive care reveals the male sex hormone testosterone may play a key role.
The hormone is known to help regulate the body's immune response but when a man has low levels of testosterone, the immune system is not kept in check and can go haywire following infection.
This leads to a so-called cytokine storm, which happens when the immune system goes out of control as it tries to kill the pathogen.
It begins damaging the body itself and, if left unchecked, it can be fatal.

Edit: I see "Jinzang" has already started a thread on this...

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Another harmful effect of COVID-19? Damage to the endocrine system, causing worsening of certain endocrine conditions, according to a mini review of the literature. "The virus that causes COVID-19 -- SARS-CoV-2 -- binds to the ACE2 receptor, a protein which is expressed in many tissues. This allows the virus to enter endocrine cells and cause the mayhem associated with the disease," said study author Noel Pratheepan Somasundaram, MD, of the National Hospital of Sri Lanka, in a statement. (Journal of the Endocrine Society)

Attachments

• Coronavirus COVID19 affects endocrine system.pdf
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 114
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com