Why can’t all major labs standardize and ranges?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Westin

Why can’t all major labs standardize and ranges? It’s really frustrating when you use multiple labs like Labcorp and or Quest. Isn’t there some kind of industry Association that can set the standards And methods for testing? Are use Labcorp most of the time and Quest sometimes and mayo clinic twice a year and their range is completely different from all of them.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Westin

Why can’t all major labs standardize and ranges? It’s really frustrating when you use multiple labs like Labcorp and or Quest. Isn’t there some kind of industry Association that can set the standards And methods for testing? Are use Labcorp most of the time and Quest sometimes and mayo clinic twice a year and their range is completely different from all of them.
Forgive any grammatical errors I was using voice to text.

fifty

When I went to Dr Crisler back in the mid 2000s, I got labs at my hospital (hospital lab not labcorp or quest). I remember him commenting how different they were and how it wasn't easy to make sense of them.

I am not impressed with labwork repeat-ability/reliability personally. To me it's a few steps better than Theranos.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
@madman has commented on the harmonization efforts. E.g. see:

CDC STANDARDIZED TOTAL TESTOSTERONE AND ESTRADIOL TESTS
FT using TruT vs Dialysis methods

The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill passed by Congress in March will fund efforts to harmonize laboratory tests, the culmination of more than a decade of AACC advocacy efforts. AACC worked closely with Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-Kan.) and other lawmakers, as well as a partnership of 17 clinical associations. The bill provides $2 million to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The agency plans to use the new funding for materials and monitoring that will enable harmonization of tests for free testosterone, thyroid stimulating hormone, and estrogen.

madman

Super Moderator

It is happening as we speak and is being undertaken by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Partnership for the Accurate Testing of Hormones (PATH).

CDC Laboratory/Manufacturer Hormone Standardization (HoSt) Program

Standardization of Total Testosterone and Estradiol are already in practice and Free Testosterone is just a matter of time.

Screenshot (1039).png

Regarding harmonized reference ranges only Total Testosterone (250-916 ng/dL) has been done so far.....mind you it has not been implemented across all major labs as of yet.

Harmonized reference ranges for Free Testosterone and Estradiol are in the works and it is just a matter of time.

How long it will take before the harmonized reference ranges will be implemented across all the major labs.....hard to say but should be within the next year or two.

Screenshot (1041).png

Screenshot (1040).png

How long it will take before the harmonized reference ranges will be implemented at the major labs.....hard to say but should be within the next year or two.

Best piece of advice for now is to have your blood work done at the same lab using the same testing method and most importantly test at the proper time (trough).....keep your protocol consistent (dose/injection frequency/timing of injections) as any deviation in such will skew test results when comparing your blood work.

If you are seeking the most accurate testing methods:

Total Testosterone: Liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS-MS) (gold standard)

Estradiol: Estradiol, Sensitive, Liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS-MS)

Free Testosterone: Equilibrium Dialysis (gold standard) or Ultrafiltration

If you choose to use a calculated method than stick to the TruT calculator:
Click here for access to the free TruT public calculator.

Now for Total Testosterone and Estradiol testing we can nit pick here but regarding Free Testosterone the testing method is critical.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching