Who is currently taking Thyroid medication ?..

Buy Lab Tests Online

Fortunate

No to all
Do you want to expand on your experience so others can learn from it? Why did you take thyroid? What were you trying to fix? What dose? How long did you take it? What other meds were you taking at the time? Did you have negative side effects or just no positive benefit?

Thanks.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

VacationMan

Do you want to expand on your experience so others can learn from it? Why did you take thyroid? What were you trying to fix? What dose? How long did you take it? What other meds were you taking at the time? Did you have negative side effects or just no positive benefit?

Thanks.
In my particular case, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's - severe hypothyroid. Low FT4, low FT3, extremely elevated thyroid antibodies, TSH in the high 20's (should be less than 4)...the works. Basically, my immune system is out of whack and is trying to kill off my thyroid.

First indication that I noticed: I was tired all the time and was gaining weight that no amount of dieting would resolve. The thyroid is the thermostat of the human body and more-or-less controls the metabolism.

Started off at the usual starting point - on levothyroxine (AKA: Synthroid). Ended up on a 88 mcg dose of the T4 med, and managed to get FT4 in range but FT3 was still lagging and TSH was still high. Had a look at RT3 and sure enough that was elevated. Doc added 5 mcg of liothyronine (AKA: Cytomel) to the mix [to offset the elevated RT3] and it helped, but TSH was still elevated. We ended up increasing the T3 drug to 10 mcg. Next set of labs should tell the tale.

Can I tell a difference? Absolutely! Lots more energy and I no longer "poop out" in the afternoon. Excess weight is slowly melting away too.

Only negative side effect is that 45 minute wait each morning before I can have my coffee and a light breakfast. Everything else has been positive.

So, have you been diagnosed with a thyroid condition...or...are you just thinking about taking the meds for [insert reason here]...or...is this just curiosity?

Fortunate

In my particular case, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's - severe hypothyroid. Low FT4, low FT3, extremely elevated thyroid antibodies, TSH in the high 20's (should be less than 4)...the works. Basically, my immune system is out of whack and is trying to kill off my thyroid.

First indication that I noticed: I was tired all the time and was gaining weight that no amount of dieting would resolve. The thyroid is the thermostat of the human body and more-or-less controls the metabolism.

Started off at the usual starting point - on levothyroxine (AKA: Synthroid). Ended up on a 88 mcg dose of the T4 med, and managed to get FT4 in range but FT3 was still lagging and TSH was still high. Had a look at RT3 and sure enough that was elevated. Doc added 5 mcg of liothyronine (AKA: Cytomel) to the mix [to offset the elevated RT3] and it helped, but TSH was still elevated. We ended up increasing the T3 drug to 10 mcg. Next set of labs should tell the tale.

Can I tell a difference? Absolutely! Lots more energy and I no longer "poop out" in the afternoon. Excess weight is slowly melting away too.

Only negative side effect is that 45 minute wait each morning before I can have my coffee and a light breakfast. Everything else has been positive.

So, have you been diagnosed with a thyroid condition...or...are you just thinking about taking the meds for [insert reason here]...or...is this just curiosity?
Great question (your last question). Technically, per established norms, I do not meet the criteria, but my rT3 to free T3 ratio is elevated such that most anti-aging docs would recommend thyroid supplementation. I am borderline low on Free T4 and Free T3 and slightly elevated on rT3. I was advised to start cytomel. I did in the past, but it was at the same time as other big changes (TRT changes). So, looking back, it's hard to tell if the cytomel, helped, hurt or did nothing. Thinking about giving it another try now that TRT is stable.

VacationMan

Great question (your last question). Technically, per established norms, I do not meet the criteria, but my rT3 to free T3 ratio is elevated such that most anti-aging docs would recommend thyroid supplementation. I am borderline low on Free T4 and Free T3 and slightly elevated on rT3. I was advised to start cytomel. I did in the past, but it was at the same time as other big changes (TRT changes). So, looking back, it's hard to tell if the cytomel, helped, hurt or did nothing. Thinking about giving it another try now that TRT is stable.
Oddly enough, I started TRT a number of years before my thyroid issue cropped up. It took me quite some time to get my TRT dose dialed in. Now taking 0.5 cc per week in 3 divided shots along with 600 IU of HCG per week in 2 divided shots. I'm compounding my own AI - dissolving four 1mg tabs of Anastrazole in 16 cc of quality vodka. Measure it out with a slip-tip 1 cc syringe w/o needle (.25 cc 3x of the mixture per week along with my test shot)...approximately 0.1875 mg per week. Keeps my E2 in the sweet spot - in range with SHBG. Everyone is different, so your mileage may vary.

I'm no physician, but...

I'd suggest getting FT4 in range first, watch TSH and then assess the need for Cytomel through FT3 & RT3 labs. The human body converts T4 to the active T3. If your T4 is low, your T3 -should- also be low. Make sense?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
...What are you on?
  • If T3 alone, sustained release or regular cytomel?
  • If you have tried both sustained release and standard cytomel, why did you go with the one you stuck with?
  • Dose?
  • Once a day?
  • How long do you wait before eating/drinking?
    • Do you consider coffee "eating"
  • Have you achieved your goals?
  • Any problematic side effects?
@Cataceous, would love to hear your thoughts on above. Thanks!

I'm relatively new to tinkering with thyroid hormones, so I don't have so much to offer. Defy prescribed me regular liothyronine in response to lowish free T3 and highish reverse T3. I've tried doses ranging from 5-15 mcg, usually as a single dose first thing in the morning, trying to wait 20-30 minutes before eating. In general the treatment seems to help by reducing later-day fatigue. Side effects are in the form of sleep disturbances, heart palpitations and feeling too revved up. I felt the best on a 10 mcg dose, but was uneasy about it after finding that peak serums levels were supraphysiological. I'm on a break now and will eventually test to see if reverse T3 has crept back up.

Fortunate

I'm relatively new to tinkering with thyroid hormones, so I don't have so much to offer. Defy prescribed me regular liothyronine in response to lowish free T3 and highish reverse T3. I've tried doses ranging from 5-15 mcg, usually as a single dose first thing in the morning, trying to wait 20-30 minutes before eating. In general the treatment seems to help by reducing later-day fatigue. Side effects are in the form of sleep disturbances, heart palpitations and feeling too revved up. I felt the best on a 10 mcg dose, but was uneasy about it after finding that peak serums levels were supraphysiological. I'm on a break now and will eventually test to see if reverse T3 has crept back up.
During my brief trial, I think I felt the same, but it was at the same time as probable supraphysiologic test levels while on cream.

VacationMan

Keep in mind that liothyronine (generic Cytomel) has a half life of roughly 4 hours. You may feel better by split dosing it - i.e. 5 mcg in the morning, then another 5 mcg mid-afternoon. If you feel jittery (like you've had too much coffee), then you're taking too much and probably should cut back.

By all means, reach out to your physician/PA at Defy and discuss before doing anything!

For me, I had to add Cytomel to my daily meds to "normalize" TSH. I'm having to take 10 mcg daily to combat lowish T3 due to high RT3...in addition to taking levothyroxine (generic Synthroid - the T4 drug). My PCP was taking care of my thyroid prescriptions and refused to increase liothyronine for me. My PA at Defy helped me in this regard. So far, I'm feeling great on this protocol. There again, everyone's condition is different and this isn't a shoe that will fit all feet so...

I'm split dosing liothyronine - 5 mcg in the morning, 5 mcg mid afternoon. I sleep like a rock, no racing heart, no jitter...and...I don't "poop out" mid afternoon now.

Thyroid issues, especially Hashimoto's, are not fun!

lukas_az

Who is currently taking thyroid meds? If so, my questions are as follows:
1) did you notice an increase in energy level ?
2) Did you notice an increase in your mood? Are you in a much better mood?
3) do you notice you burn fat easier?
4) did it improve your cholesterol levels?
thank you in advance.
1. a bit maybe, but also more anxiety some insomnia
2. no
3. no
4. i dont care really what those are

stopped taking it after 2 months or so. did not see much benefits, unlike TRT

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Keep in mind that liothyronine (generic Cytomel) has a half life of roughly 4 hours. You may feel better by split dosing it - i.e. 5 mcg in the morning, then another 5 mcg mid-afternoon. If you feel jittery (like you've had too much coffee), then you're taking too much and probably should cut back.
Those possible "hyper" symptoms tend to occur much later in the day. Any attempts at splitting the dose result in significant sleep disturbances, even when it's just 5 mcg split into two doses a few hours apart. It's possible things would settle down after a few days, but 2-3 nights is my limit before I throw in the towel.

Fortunate

Looks like it was posted in 2017

@Gman86, I haven't finished it yet, but I have listened to most of the podcast. I do not recall Dr. Crisler ever recommending this. What's strange is that they spend a lot of time discussing how to take pregnenolone, dosing, why transdermal is better, why there is no risk of transfer, etc. But, there is little to no discussion regarding why we should take it. What symptom drives a person to try it, or what complaint by a patient leads a physician to recommend it to patients.

There are robust discussion about pregnenelone on the forum, but it's still not totally clear why guys take it. I am intrigued, but need to know more. For the record, I very briefly tried it orally (regular and micronized). I think I felt funky, but it was too short to tell.

Are you investigating it?

I also am a little confused by his thoughts on transdermal testosterone. He clearly likes it, but when I consulted with him, he had a tendency to steer me away from it. That said, I was on it for a period of time. I may have requested it, but I just can't remember. I do miss the guy :(.

Gman86

@Gman86, I haven't finished it yet, but I have listened to most of the podcast. I do not recall Dr. Crisler ever recommending this. What's strange is that they spend a lot of time discussing how to take pregnenolone, dosing, why transdermal is better, why there is no risk of transfer, etc. But, there is little to no discussion regarding why we should take it. What symptom drives a person to try it, or what complaint by a patient leads a physician to recommend it to patients.

There are robust discussion about pregnenelone on the forum, but it's still not totally clear why guys take it. I am intrigued, but need to know more. For the record, I very briefly tried it orally (regular and micronized). I think I felt funky, but it was too short to tell.

Are you investigating it?

I also am a little confused by his thoughts on transdermal testosterone. He clearly likes it, but when I consulted with him, he had a tendency to steer me away from it. That said, I was on it for a period of time. I may have requested it, but I just can't remember. I do miss the guy :(.
Ya it’s so unfortunate that he was taken way too soon, he was truly one of the pioneers of TRT, and I would of loved to see how his thoughts and views evolved overtime on everything

Pregnenolone is such a tricky one. Its probably the biggest hit or miss supplement, when it comes to people’s experiences on it. Only other one I can think of that comes close is DHEA, and then HCG. Sucks that everything can’t just be super clear cut lol

I switched up my protocol recently, so once everything reaches steady state I plan on experimenting with some compounded pregnenolone from empower that I have. Im gonna try and raise my progesterone levels with it, while hopefully getting some benefits form the pregnenolone itself. But I would be very happy if the pregnenolone had a neutral effect on me subjectively, but still raised my progesterone levels. If I can’t get pregnenolone to work for me, I’ll just take exogenous progesterone directly, either through topical cream on my scrotum or injectable progesterone. I have both at the house

not sure why he would be against transdermal test. I remember him talking about transdermal fatigue or something like that, maybe that’s why

Anonymon

Those possible "hyper" symptoms tend to occur much later in the day. Any attempts at splitting the dose result in significant sleep disturbances, even when it's just 5 mcg split into two doses a few hours apart. It's possible things would settle down after a few days, but 2-3 nights is my limit before I throw in the towel.
How people react to T3 tends to depend on the context in which it was taken. If you take it in the morning before you wake up, many people feel energized and have increased cortisol output when they’d want it to output. In the evening, some people feel sleepy when taking it, or revved up if they were already in a state to be a little revved up for other reasons.

T3 seemingly makes you do more of what you’d already be doing anyway at the time, possibly for pituitary reasons. If you’re having adrenal issues, for some people it’ll also make that worse, which seemed to be my case. Most likely going to try an experiment with it starting this Friday the day after my blood test. I’d been on slow release T3 before and it made things better and worse for me at the same time. Going to try something similar to the CT3M with straight T3 to see if I react differently.

MNguy

How people react to T3 tends to depend on the context in which it was taken. If you take it in the morning before you wake up, many people feel energized and have increased cortisol output when they’d want it to output. In the evening, some people feel sleepy when taking it, or revved up if they were already in a state to be a little revved up for other reasons.

T3 seemingly makes you do more of what you’d already be doing anyway at the time, possibly for pituitary reasons. If you’re having adrenal issues, for some people it’ll also make that worse, which seemed to be my case. Most likely going to try an experiment with it starting this Friday the day after my blood test. I’d been on slow release T3 before and it made things better and worse for me at the same time. Going to try something similar to the CT3M with straight T3 to see if I react differently.
Any update on your thyroid routine? I’ve been experimenting with taking my time release T3 before bed to try and boost cortisol. Seems to be hit and miss, but I definitely feel a response. Waiting on recent saliva cortisol results. Last spring my AM cortisol tested low though, which might explain why taking the t3 before bed helps.

Gman86

Any update on your thyroid routine? I’ve been experimenting with taking my time release T3 before bed to try and boost cortisol. Seems to be hit and miss, but I definitely feel a response. Waiting on recent saliva cortisol results. Last spring my AM cortisol tested low though, which might explain why taking the t3 before bed helps.

Interesting, T3 is supposed to boost cortisol? How does taking it before bed boost cortisol in the morning?

MNguy

Interesting, T3 is supposed to boost cortisol? How does taking it before bed boost cortisol in the morning?
I’m not sure of the exact science, but in the STTM book they mention taking a dose of T3 a few hours before you wake up as a way to boost cortisol. Since there is no way in hell I’m waking up at 4am to pop a pill I just started taking my time release t3 before bed and then space out my quick release throughout the day. It’s just an experiment I’m doing. Like I said, it’s been hit and miss, but some days I wake up feeling great.

Gman86

I’m not sure of the exact science, but in the STTM book they mention taking a dose of T3 a few hours before you wake up as a way to boost cortisol. Since there is no way in hell I’m waking up at 4am to pop a pill I just started taking my time release t3 before bed and then space out my quick release throughout the day. It’s just an experiment I’m doing. Like I said, it’s been hit and miss, but some days I wake up feeling great.

Thanks for that info. Any theories on why u feel good some days and not as good others? The slow release T3 before bed doesn’t mess with sleep at all?

MNguy

Thanks for that info. Any theories on why u feel good some days and not as good others? The slow release T3 before bed doesn’t mess with sleep at all?
I mean that’s my experience with HRT in a nutshell. Finding success with something then not being able to maintain consistency. I am curious to see my cortisol results though. Last saliva test I did in the spring was super out of whack. My sleep is also a bit hit and miss, but not anymore so than it was before I started the T3 at night.

Gman86

I mean that’s my experience with HRT in a nutshell. Finding success with something then not being able to maintain consistency. I am curious to see my cortisol results though. Last saliva test I did in the spring was super out of whack. My sleep is also a bit hit and miss, but not anymore so than it was before I started the T3 at night.

So u feel like taking the slow release T3 has improved ur sleep?

I feel u tho, I suffer with brain fog and I’ll do change something and have a few really good days with it and think I figured out how to get rid of it, and everytime it’s short lived and it comes back. Has happened like a million times lol. Very frustrating. Luckily every other aspect of HRT usually is going well for me, so helps a lot to keep going and stay motivated to just keep trying to figure out how to get rid of it. It’s definitely gotten better over the years, but very frustrating that it’s still there to a degree, and that I have good and bad days with it.

I know my cortisol runs on the low end in the AM, so this T3 boosting morning cortisol levels definitely intrigues me. How was ur thyroid levels overall before starting T3?

BuzzSaw

Looking for advice re dosing.

Over the last few years, I've had (private) bloods that suggest thyroid isn't doing too well, and a load of thyroid related issues (even a private doctor mentioned this when the results came out).

I've got some Tiromel 25 mcg, and looking to do a trial on them. What is the best dose to start off on?

MNguy

I feel u tho, I suffer with brain fog and I’ll do change something and have a few really good days with it and think I figured out how to get rid of it, and everytime it’s short lived and it comes back. Has happened like a million times lol. Very frustrating. Luckily every other aspect of HRT usually is going well for me, so helps a lot to keep going and stay motivated to just keep trying to figure out how to get rid of it. It’s definitely gotten better over the years, but very frustrating that it’s still there to a degree, and that I have good and bad days with it.

I know my cortisol runs on the low end in the AM, so this T3 boosting morning cortisol levels definitely intrigues me. How was ur thyroid levels overall before starting T3?

728F766B-56C0-4A90-898D-A4316228E181.png

My sleep appears unchanged. Which is to say not great, but not terrible. I got on T3 before trt. My t3 and t4 numbers were okish, but TSH was high and rt3 was literally 45. Dr. Saya said it was the highest he’d seen all that year. So he put me on t3 only treatment. Still have a hard time getting the rt3 below 20, which is why I’m on a higher dose. I found a section where Hormetheus discusses the night time t3 tactic in his website. Can’t guarantee it will work, but it’s worth a shot.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me