What is your philosophy on vacation health/fitness?

Buy Lab Tests Online

bkb33

I thought this may be a good question to crowdsource. I'm 27 and would appreciate wisdom from older men, particularly those in healthy relationships.

My diet is always fully dialed, I don't consume alcohol, and I do some form of exercise daily. I also walk 10K steps a day. I love this lifestyle; it's genuinely not a struggle, as I appreciate how good it makes me feel. I don't like the inflammation/lethargy associated with unhealthy foods and lack of movement. Being active/healthy is good for my spirit.

I'm going on my honeymoon in Mexico in a few weeks, and my wife (of 2 years -- yeah, this trip is delayed) takes health/fitness much less seriously than I do (though she does care about it to some extent). I want to invest in our relationship and make sure she has a good time that she'll remember fondly.

I've been thinking about what to do that week -- should I eat healthfully, do some form of exercise, drink alcohol, continue my IF practice, etc. I will have access to healthy options and a gym at my resort, so I could do the same stuff I always do. But I probably won't.

I've gone on trips where I've been totally dialed, and I've gone on trips where I've gone totally off the wagon, but I haven't settled on my optimal approach.

I don't think there's any 'right' answer, but I'd love to hear: What's your vacation philosophy? How much do you 'let your hair down,' so to speak?

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Guided_by_Voices

I think vacations are a really important part of the health learning process, at least for me. For me, travel means I can't eat really low carb, totally paleo, or lift heavy, so it forces me to try other things which have been really helpful learning experiences. For example, stopping whey protein on a trip and having my joints feel better gave me a clue that I might have a sensitivity to whey protein. Using lighter weights for higher reps and focusing more on long walks has also been enlightening. While I stay 95% paleo at home, I ate a fair amount of pasta in Italy (it was great) and didn't really have any issue from it, so doing things like that (I think) helps avoid zealot-level adherance to things which are important but which don't require perfection. Enjoying yourself is likely healthier than feeling deprived but eating "healthy".That said, you should certainly avoid foods that you know will give you a bad reaction. If you haven't been drinking alcohol, a small amount will have an out-sized affect. It's also possible to eat new but healthy food if you seek out good local eateries. The locals usually eat fairly well.

Airborne Warrior

I just keep myself ticking over. Vacations are supposed to be enjoyable and carefree after all and not worrying too much about when you're going to fit in your next workout or the restaurant you're going to has the healthy option you desire. If i've lost a little fitness or put on a few pounds after enjoying myself for a while it won't take long to get back on track again.

bkb33

I think vacations are a really important part of the health learning process, at least for me. For me, travel means I can't eat really low carb, totally paleo, or lift heavy, so it forces me to try other things which have been really helpful learning experiences. For example, stopping whey protein on a trip and having my joints feel better gave me a clue that I might have a sensitivity to whey protein. Using lighter weights for higher reps and focusing more on long walks has also been enlightening. While I stay 95% paleo at home, I ate a fair amount of pasta in Italy (it was great) and didn't really have any issue from it, so doing things like that (I think) helps avoid zealot-level adherance to things which are important but which don't require perfection. Enjoying yourself is likely healthier than feeling deprived but eating "healthy".That said, you should certainly avoid foods that you know will give you a bad reaction. If you haven't been drinking alcohol, a small amount will have an out-sized affect. It's also possible to eat new but healthy food if you seek out good local eateries. The locals usually eat fairly well.

Thanks for sharing this really cool perspective. One note about the whey protein: have you tried Tera's brand? I've found that is very easy on both the joints and stomach.

I’d throw a bag of resistance bands in my suitcase and workout every other day with them. I’d do a lot of walking, eat fairly clean, and have sex with the wife daily. Diet is not a huge deal, nor is exercise for that matter. Getting a good pump is like meditation for me. Then again, I tend to be pretty ritualized with most of what I do. Enjoy your vacation and your wife.

madman

Super Moderator
I thought this may be a good question to crowdsource. I'm 27 and would appreciate wisdom from older men, particularly those in healthy relationships.

My diet is always fully dialed, I don't consume alcohol, and I do some form of exercise daily. I also walk 10K steps a day. I love this lifestyle; it's genuinely not a struggle, as I appreciate how good it makes me feel. I don't like the inflammation/lethargy associated with unhealthy foods and lack of movement. Being active/healthy is good for my spirit.

I'm going on my honeymoon in Mexico in a few weeks, and my wife (of 2 years -- yeah, this trip is delayed) takes health/fitness much less seriously than I do (though she does care about it to some extent). I want to invest in our relationship and make sure she has a good time that she'll remember fondly.

I've been thinking about what to do that week -- should I eat healthfully, do some form of exercise, drink alcohol, continue my IF practice, etc. I will have access to healthy options and a gym at my resort, so I could do the same stuff I always do. But I probably won't.

I've gone on trips where I've been totally dialed, and I've gone on trips where I've gone totally off the wagon, but I haven't settled on my optimal approach.

I don't think there's any 'right' answer, but I'd love to hear: What's your vacation philosophy? How much do you 'let your hair down,' so to speak?

Seeing at is your honeymoon I would just be spontaneous day to day and forget worrying about eating this or that, should I drink or not drink, should I exercise as although health/fitness is of great importance to you.....taking a short break from your regular lifestyle is not going to have a huge impact on you physically regarding strength/muscle loss.

This is your honeymoon and as you stated "I want to invest in our relationship and make sure she has a good time that she'll remember fondly".....make this vacation something she will remember and step outside of your comfort zone for a week to truly make this a memorable experience.

I know it may be easier said than done if one is set in their ways but as we say you only live once.....make the best of it.

bkb33

Some excellent advice for younger guys here on this thread. This is why I come here. Thanks to all for being willing to share their wisdom!

bkb33

I’d throw a bag of resistance bands in my suitcase and workout every other day with them. I’d do a lot of walking, eat fairly clean, and have sex with the wife daily. Diet is not a huge deal, nor is exercise for that matter. Getting a good pump is like meditation for me. Then again, I tend to be pretty ritualized with most of what I do. Enjoy your vacation and your wife.

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. Get a quick pump (~30 minutes) and you feel so zen for the rest of the day. Not trying to be a robot, but engaging in some activity and getting the blood flowing is such a boon, making you more present and enjoyable to be around.

bkb33

Seeing at is your honeymoon I would just be spontaneous day to day and forget worrying about eating this or that, should I drink or not drink, should I exercise as although health/fitness is of great importance to you.....taking a short break from your regular lifestyle is not going to have a huge impact on you physically regarding strength/muscle loss.

This is your honeymoon and as you stated "I want to invest in our relationship and make sure she has a good time that she'll remember fondly".....make this vacation something she will remember and step outside of your comfort zone for a week to truly make this a memorable experience.

I know it may be easier said than done if one is set in their ways but as we say you only live once.....make the best of it.

I really appreciate your perspective. My one concern with this approach was: What if I set the tone early in our marriage (e.g., I let my hair down on vacation), and then I don't want to do that forever? I don't want to disappoint her down the road.

Normally when I travel, I really enjoy sticking to my routine, and I truly have the most fun when I do that; I get to experience new things and places while feeling fulling myself. But I also want to balance her enjoyment. Delicate balance between self-love and other-love, this marriage thing :)

bkb33

Life is too short. Enjoy it. When i travel i try ti workout daily (i enjoy it). I eat the foods i like. Drink a bit. And relax

Do you have any parameters around what you drink (e.g., a certain number of drinks or type of drink)? I was thinking of telling myself, I'll drink a bit, but only red wine or clear/light liquors (vodka, gin, tequila), and no more than 2-3 per day.

HealthMan

Do you have any parameters around what you drink (e.g., a certain number of drinks or type of drink)? I was thinking of telling myself, I'll drink a bit, but only red wine or clear/light liquors (vodka, gin, tequila), and no more than 2-3 per day.
You are way overthinking this. Just relax and enjoy your trip. Exercise while there. If you are too concern about your diet eat healthy food. 2-3 drinks a day should be enough if you are really worried about it.

madman

Super Moderator
I really appreciate your perspective. My one concern with this approach was: What if I set the tone early in our marriage (e.g., I let my hair down on vacation), and then I don't want to do that forever? I don't want to disappoint her down the road.

Normally when I travel, I really enjoy sticking to my routine, and I truly have the most fun when I do that; I get to experience new things and places while feeling fulling myself. But I also want to balance her enjoyment. Delicate balance between self-love and other-love, this marriage thing :)

I think she would know what she was getting into before you married and if she expects to change who you truly are than things are not looking to good down the road.

Vacation should be a time to let yourself go.....step away from your set routine.....it is not like you need to do a complete 360.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me