What is considered low testosterone?

Buy Lab Tests Online

CROM

If someone has a total testosterone of 150 but their free testosterone is within range, do they have low T? That was my case before I started TRT. I had clinically low total testosterone but my free testosterone was within range (but maybe on the lower end of the scale).

So if someone has a total testosterone of 500 and mine is 150 but both of us have our free T at 10…are we equal? Is it only the free T that maters?

I have read that people with low T don’t live as long as people with normal testosterone. So using the example above would one person be healthier than the other if their FREE T is the same?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

bluerage

The article just gives normal ranges. It doesn't answer the OP's question of being in range for free/bioavailable but being below range in TT.
I know that I was initially turned away with a TT of under 300 yet being in range for bioavailable T.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I would view free T as the most important factor. But when total testosterone is too low you cannot achieve adequate free T, period. I view a cutoff for normal (calculated) free T as about 10 ng/dL. With a total testosterone of 150 ng/dL you can only get to about 6 ng/dL—and that's with SHBG going to zero, but normal albumin.

Systemlord

Someone can be in range and have all the symptoms of low testosterone, the symptoms and the labs are how we diagnose a testosterone deficiency, doctors will no knowledge focus only on numbers.

I've seen guys in the 500 range fully symptomatic, then I've seen guys in the 200 ranges and no symptoms. What's normal if going to be different for everyone.

CROM

Someone can be in range and have all the symptoms of low testosterone, the symptoms and the labs are how we diagnose a testosterone deficiency, doctors will no knowledge focus only on numbers.

I've seen guys in the 500 range fully symptomatic, then I've seen guys in the 200 ranges and no symptoms. What's normal if going to be different for everyone.

Yeah totally get that treating symptoms is what is most important rather than a number. But I have read that increasing testosterone improves insulin sensitivity and improves pre-diabetes/diabetes and such. I am not diabetic but pretty sure that I have some level of insulin resistance. So if my TOTAL testosterone is low does it worsen my insulin resistance or is everything based on FREE testosterone?

My free testosterone is through the roof now that I am on TRT cuz my SHBG is only 6. But now my free T is so high I am having side effects like acne. To get my free T in normal range and reduce side effects I will have to lower my dose significantly...bringing my TT to the low/lowish range.

My main concern is if total testosterone has an effect on health factors or is it just about free testosterone.

Gman86

Yeah totally get that treating symptoms is what is most important rather than a number. But I have read that increasing testosterone improves insulin sensitivity and improves pre-diabetes/diabetes and such. I am not diabetic but pretty sure that I have some level of insulin resistance. So if my TOTAL testosterone is low does it worsen my insulin resistance or is everything based on FREE testosterone?

My free testosterone is through the roof now that I am on TRT cuz my SHBG is only 6. But now my free T is so high I am having side effects like acne. To get my free T in normal range and reduce side effects I will have to lower my dose significantly...bringing my TT to the low/lowish range.

My main concern is if total testosterone has an effect on health factors or is it just about free testosterone.

All about the free testosterone, so you have nothing to worry about. Free T is what activates testosterone receptors all over the body, and therefore improves insulin resistance. So as long as your free T is in a healthy level, you’re all set.

Systemlord

My free testosterone is through the roof now that I am on TRT cuz my SHBG is only 6. But now my free T is so high I am having side effects like acne.

An SHBG of 6 is the lowest I have ever seen, daily injections is the very best you could ever do to improve the way you feel on TRT while minimizing symptoms of high estrogen.

Anything less than daily injections may very well make TRT less effective and increase the negative symptoms.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me