What Every Man Should Know About Prostatitis

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
What factors can falsely elevate your PSA level?

There are other factors that can affect the PSA level besides prostate cancer. The following conditions can lead to increased PSA levels:

1. Increasing age
  2. Benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH), a condition that commonly develops as those assigned male at birth age and causes the prostate to grow in size
  3. Inflammation or infection of the prostate, like prostatitis or a urinary tract infection
  4. Hormone medications, like testosterone
  5. Ejaculation, which can raise the PSA level for a short period of time (so it’s a good idea to avoid ejaculating for a few days before the test)
  6. Riding a bike, or anything that puts pressure on the area near the prostate (i.e., between the genitals and the anus)

This is the number one reason for PSA increases while on TRT.

Chronic Nonbacterial Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome
It has been widely reported that more than 90 percent of men with prostatitis
meet the criteria for chronic nonbacterial prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CNP/CPPS).

"Like many such poorly understood conditions, CNP/CPPS remains a challenging syndrome. Patients usually have symptoms consistent with prostatitis, such as painful ejaculation or pain in the penis, testicles or scrotum. They may complain of low back pain, rectal or perineal pain, or even pain along the inner aspects of the thighs. They often have irritative or obstructive urinary symptoms and decreased libido or impotence. As a rule, these patients do not have recurrent urinary tract infections. The physical examination is usually unremarkable, but patients may have a tender prostate."

Asymptomatic Prostatitis
Information presented at the NIH consensus conference added asymptomatic prostatitis as a new category, partly because of the widespread use of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test.

Clearly, symptomatic bacterial prostatitis can elevate the PSA test to abnormal levels. Asymptomatic prostatitis may also elevate the PSA level. In addition, patients who are being evaluated for other prostatic diseases may be found on biopsy to have prostatitis. There are no studies elucidating the natural history or appropriate therapy of this condition. It does appear that PSA levels return to normal four to six weeks after a 14-day course of antibiotics.23 Treatment is routinely recommended only in patients with chronic asymptomatic prostatitis known to elevate the PSA level. In these patients, it may be prudent to treat before drawing subsequent PSA samples.

Treatment of Prostatitis
prostatitis antibiotics.jpg

From Medscape:

"Antibiotics that penetrate well into the acid milieu of the prostate are nonpolar and lipid-soluble and have a high measure of acid strength, a small molecular radius, and low serum protein binding. Drugs that best fit these criteria are the fluoroquinolones, doxycycline, minocycline (particularly effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus [MRSA]), trimethoprim (available in the United States only as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [TMP-SMZ]), rifampin, and erythromycin. Of this group, the fluoroquinolones appear to achieve the best tissue levels."

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I discovered I had a bad case of prostatitis last month. I had backache, pain under my belly button, tender perineum and a bloated feeling. I thought my IBS was acting out but my doctor told me prostatitis related referred pain is common. My urine came back normal but I was put on Cipro for 11 days. At the second day, my symptoms disappeared.

My symptoms just returned after a month. I may have refractory prostatitis, so starting a second cycle now using doxycycline.

MarkLA

Be careful on Cipro and Levaquin and other fluoroquinolones. The side effect profile should not be dismissed casually. I had a friend take Levaquin and she had horrendous joint issues, low energy, etc. for many weeks after stopping. For some people sides may persist indefinitely..

IANAD - but if there is an older antibiotic with fewer sides, I'd prefer that.

In your case, you recovered fine which I'm glad...

CoastWatcher

Best wishes for a full recovery Nelson. May I ask what are the causes of non-bacterial prostatitis? How can it be prevented?

As the author of the article Nelson attached pointed out, there is no clear understanding of what causes non-bacterial prostatitis. There is even great disagreement as to the nature of the condition (he writes that it is likely that "multiple disorders" are being lumped together and called non-bacterial prostatitis).

Having dealt with it for years, since I was in my 20s, I can attest to the fact that it is a poorly understood, uncomfortable condition. I will add that on the occasions I had confirmed, bacterial prostatitis, the clinical presentation was different, far more uncomfortable, and did yield to antibiotics.

raygo

I've been dealing with this condition for many years. My understanding is that a really lengthy antibiotic cycle is required for prostatitis. At least a month.

As for causes, I won't elaborate other than quote "nonbacterial prostatitis may be caused by stress and irregular sexual activity". I'm not sure what is meant by "irregular", but my first bout, about 25 years ago, was definitely related to sex (and nothing all that wild either).

I've had some success with keeping it in check by adding a high-quality oregano supplement. I can verify that it helped when my doc wouldn't really listen to my complaints.

PROSTATE INFECTION | True Oregano Oil | Powerful Antimicrobial - FOH INC.

CoastWatcher

I've been dealing with this condition for many years. My understanding is that a really lengthy antibiotic cycle is required for prostatitis. At least a month.

As for causes, I won't elaborate other than quote "nonbacterial prostatitis may be caused by stress and irregular sexual activity". I'm not sure what is meant by "irregular", but my first bout, about 25 years ago, was definitely related to sex (and nothing all that wild either).

I've had some success with keeping it in check by adding a high-quality oregano supplement. I can verify that it helped when my doc wouldn't really listen to my complaints.

http://www.remedy-prostate-infection.com/oregano_oil_prostate_treatment.html

You're the second recent person I've encountered who has made this suggestion. Many thanks.

joshmaximus

Will oil or oregano work if its non bacterial? What r suppose to do if no infection is present??

BJE

I’ve dealt with prostatitis for about fifteen years. It started with acute bacterial prostatitis which had me so sick I couldn’t get out of bed. Since then I’ve had frequent recurring chronic prostatitis.

Seldom has any infection been found yet antibiotics have always improved symptoms. However lately when symptoms have flared up I’ve gone to the doctor and got a prescription but then I’ve waited a few days before starting treatment and the symptoms have disappeared on their own without treatment. So maybe it has not been an infection. At any rate it can be a very frustrating condition.

A caution on Cipro. For treatment of my first acute case I was given Levaquin, another drug in the same class as Cipro. I had three rounds of ten days each. On the third time I started having tendon pain in my hands and Achilles’ tendons. I stopped the levaquin but had trouble walking for about three weeks. After that I refused any flouroquinolon drugs. A few years back my doctor convinced me to try Cipro. After taking the first dose the tendons in my hands started hurting. I will never take another dose of it.

There is an orthopedic surgeon in my area who is retiring because of neuropathy in his hands which he blames on the use of Cipro. I also met a man at my gym who took Cipro for prostatitis and now has neuropathy that his doctor blames on Cipro.

I think the most effective antibiotic for me has been a series of rosephin shots. I think that if I perhaps was harboring a bacteria in my prostate that kept flaring up that perhaps this antibiotic had finally cleared it up. Another thing I feel has helped my prostate is regular prostate massage using an Aneros prostate massager.

broker

I am almost convinced my prostate issues started after using hcg.
I too have an irritated prostate that sometimes feels that a tennis ball is inside my rectum.
No real pain but i have a feeling of irritation.

Bremster

As the author of the article Nelson attached pointed out, there is no clear understanding of what causes non-bacterial prostatitis. There is even great disagreement as to the nature of the condition (he writes that it is likely that "multiple disorders" are being lumped together and called non-bacterial prostatitis).

Having dealt with it for years, since I was in my 20s, I can attest to the fact that it is a poorly understood, uncomfortable condition. I will add that on the occasions I had confirmed, bacterial prostatitis, the clinical presentation was different, far more uncomfortable, and did yield to antibiotics.

As for causes, I won't elaborate other than quote "nonbacterial prostatitis may be caused by stress and irregular sexual activity". I'm not sure what is meant by "irregular", but my first bout, about 25 years ago, was definitely related to sex (and nothing all that wildprinprinpprin either).

I am no stranger to the excruciating pain associated with this problem, I call them the screemy weemies, I have had them for years, generally associated with post orgasm and sometimes a lack of a orgasms for some time. I pop an aspirin and voilà within minutes they are gone.

BJE

I’ve dealt with prostatitis for about 15 years. Sometimes it has been diagnosed with cultures as a bacterial infection and has responded to antibiotics. I’ve been on multiple long duration antibiotics which it has responded to. However recently I’ve been avoiding antibiotics and after a few days of pain it has suddenly cleared up.

tropicaldaze1950

I had chronic prostatitis in my 20's and early 30's. Then, it disappeared. In my 50's, had a couple of years where I had blood in my semen(hematospermia). Checked out okay with a urologist. Several years later, lower back discomfort and discomfort in my bladder. The marriage was a mess and I lost the ability to get erections. The uro told me to masturbate several times a week because the prostate was congested.(my words) It did help. I realize, now, that I have chronic lower back discomfort. Though the marriage is 'sort of' better, no erections. Now my wife is beginning to talk in a round about way about her sexual issues, which go back to her 20's, long before we knew each other. She can't come to terms that she likes everything on the sexual platter. I told her, gently, that our marriage has been impacted by the issues that she never wanted to deal with. A sexy woman who's messed up. Sorry for going off topic.

broker

I have prostatitis but never any infection. My always feels irritated and i urinate often. My left testicle has been swollen for 9 years and doc told me it was eppididimytis but again, never an infection.
If i drink wine, that totally irriates my prostate. Its a big issue and affects my quality of life.

burnoutat42

Nine days ago I awoke to flank pain on both sides coupled with testicular pain which radiated into upper abdomen. The aforementioned was accompanied with straining while urinating and the need to go the bathroom 10 to 20 times a day!

I would never consider taking an ABX especially a Fluoroquinolone as they have undoubtedly ruined so many peoples lives! I haven't taken an RX drug in seventeen months after coming off of Klonopin a "Benzodiazepine" and a wide array of others drugs after seventeen years of use!

Like many others here I'm looking for "Natural Solution" not a man made pharmaceutical which often times unfortunately causes far more problems then the problem it was originally intended to treat.

xibxang

This may be the dumbest question you'll read today so apologies in advance.

Yesterday I was diagnosed with prostatitis and was prescribed 100mg of doxycycline daily. Just under 24 hours later and my symptoms have improved substantially.

My question is: can I expose my wife to my semen whilst I'm on doxy? I'd hate to give her thrush or something.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale