Wellbutrin and TRT.

Buy Lab Tests Online

BillyJ03z

Just curious if anyone felt/had symptoms of depression after starting TRT? I am 10 years in on TRT and I have felt mentally tired and unmotivated most of the entire time... I sometimes thought it was High E or low Thyroid but no matter how much I lowered E or adjusted thyroid (Armour) it never changed my mental motivation. I ramped up my Vit D3 intake over several months since I was always low and it did nothing. I've come to accept that I am in depression (not suicidal), just flat all the time and unmotivated. I've read several threads on Excel regarding Wellbutrin and I'm just wondering if I should take the leap and try it. thoughts?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I've found my motivation to be especially poor on higher doses of testosterone. You might experiment with that if you have room for reductions. You might also research selegiline as an alternative to bupropion. It works a little differently and possibly has some anti-aging qualities. Further reading.

BillyJ03z

I've found my motivation to be especially poor on higher doses of testosterone. You might experiment with that if you have room for reductions. You might also research selegiline as an alternative to bupropion. It works a little differently and possibly has some anti-aging qualities. Further reading.
Interesting. So it seems it works by slowing Dopamine and nor-epinephrine breakdown and an inhibitor of prolactin... but does it increase Dopamine? I am very interested in this before I try Wellbutrin.. Right now I am on 15mg of Test Prop ed/sub-cut and I am doing blood work this Friday to see where Im at...Have you tried Selegiline personally?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I'm recently off a trial of 4.5 mg propionate daily, and my motivation during that period was about the best it's been on TRT.

Selegiline does increase dopamine by inhibiting the enzyme that helps to break it down. I've been taking 2.5 mg daily for going on two years now and like the results. I believe it eliminated periods of low mood and listlessness, and has helped some with motivation.

Systemlord

I am 10 years in on TRT and I have felt mentally tired and unmotivated most of the entire time... I sometimes thought it was High E or low Thyroid but no matter how much I lowered E or adjusted thyroid (Armour) it never changed my mental motivation.
Have you tried any other thyroid meds?

What are your Free T3 levels?

What is your TRT protocol?

bixt

How about considering some daily mindfullness meditation, proven to increase dopamine and dopamine receptors, proven to rewire the brain as far as motivation is concerned.

I don't think there are any drugs that can sustainably and without side effects keep dopamine high as well as rewire motivation and reward circuitry.

BillyJ03z

Have you tried any other thyroid meds?

What are your Free T3 levels?

What is your TRT protocol?
Thyroid is Optimal.. I only started Armour to see if it would help my mood/energy but it didn't do anything. the good side effect of Armour was that it optimized my lipid panel which has always been out of whack since starting trt...

TRT protocol currently is 15 mg Test Prop ED/SQ..... Just switched from years being on Cypionate at 3 and 2 times a week, also ED protocols with varying amounts of Cyp.. I've tired just about everything over the past 10 years. My doctor suggested anti-depressants before but didn't want them mainly due to the sexual side effects but Wellbutrin looks promising.

DS3

I’ve was on Wellbutrin for 8 months this year. It was tremendously helpful for depression, more so than any treatment I’ve ever tried. However, it did enhance my social anxiety to the point to where I had to stop taking the medication. If you try Wellbutrin, I hope that you experience the positives that I did without the social anxiety.

Jason Sypolt

Administrator
Wellbutrin works fine in addition to TRT. There is no interaction between the two. It’s a good first choice for attempting to treat depression because it does not come with many of the side effects that the SSRI drugs do. From personal experience, it lets your mood go up, but helps you hold steady instead of going down. So you can still feel all the happiness and pleasure, etc. compared to a SSRI which holds your mood in a sort of neutral zone commonly making people feel like a robot who can’t be happy or sad. Wellbutrin also is not known to have a negative effect on libido and may in fact increase it. It is a stimulant and sometimes prescribed for weight loss because it acts as an appetite suppressant

bfoley

How about considering some daily mindfullness meditation, proven to increase dopamine and dopamine receptors, proven to rewire the brain as far as motivation is concerned.
I was thinking this as well. Just looking for a good one to use. Any suggestions ?

bixt

I was thinking this as well. Just looking for a good one to use. Any suggestions ?
Personally, I do not use any of the guided ones.

In a nutshell you sit relaxed with your eyes closed, in a distraction free place. Clear your mind of all thoughts, and focus on your breathing.

Every few minutes (or even seconds!) you will catch yourself thinking about something. You just then move your focus and concentration back to the breathing. Try 10 mins 3 times a day for starters.

When doing this exercise, you will become aware just how many distracting thoughts are occupying the mind, instead of you controlling the mind. You learn to focus on one task with no distractions.

The prefrontal cortex (brain part responsible for focus) grows in size and matter within a few weeks. You are exercising it. Also, dopamine and dopamine receptors increase. I do not generally save studies on this topic, but they have been done. Some quick googling will find you some evidence in favour of what I have mentioned.

Johnny Test

I’m bullish on Wellbutrin. I’ve been on it nearly 20 years. I’m successful and have a wonderful life. Depression can destroy you as a person. Definitely an amazing tool to have in our toolbox. It’s has a strong safety record and has been out since the 80s. There have been some isolated cases of seizures but they are very far and few between. I’ve never had an issue.

MIP1950

Wellbutrin works fine in addition to TRT. There is no interaction between the two. It’s a good first choice for attempting to treat depression because it does not come with many of the side effects that the SSRI drugs do. From personal experience, it lets your mood go up, but helps you hold steady instead of going down. So you can still feel all the happiness and pleasure, etc. compared to a SSRI which holds your mood in a sort of neutral zone commonly making people feel like a robot who can’t be happy or sad. Wellbutrin also is not known to have a negative effect on libido and may in fact increase it. It is a stimulant and sometimes prescribed for weight loss because it acts as an appetite suppressant
It's a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor. I've tried it. I'm truly a biochemical outlier. it made me too hyper, as well as messing with my sleep. My psychiatrist and I hoped it would help my depression(I have bipolar) as well as helping with erectile function. Prozac(SSRI) sent me into a three day hypersexual mania, which was the beginning of my path to being hospitalized, which saved my life.

BillyJ03z

How long did it take before you felt anything positive and/or anything at all?

I'm a week in with Buproprion SR at 200mg per day and I don't notice anything so far. Also, I got my script filled at Walgreens and they use the brand SOLCO and it seems like the reviews I read aren't great...

BillyJ03z

I’m bullish on Wellbutrin. I’ve been on it nearly 20 years. I’m successful and have a wonderful life. Depression can destroy you as a person. Definitely an amazing tool to have in our toolbox. It’s has a strong safety record and has been out since the 80s. There have been some isolated cases of seizures but they are very far and few between. I’ve never had an issue.
I know this is a reach since you been on it a long time, but do you remember how long it took before you felt it kick in/start to work?

Also, what Brand of Bupropion do you use? or do you use actual Brand Wellbutrin?

Johnny Test

Hi! Sorry for the delay. For me, it took a solid 3-4 weeks to start seeing a difference in my mood. I use generic bupropion XL (the extended release formula I find to be the best). I take 3 a day. These are the ones I take.

Attachments

• 5D9A956D-5788-427E-8DF1-EBF07105823A.jpeg
    5D9A956D-5788-427E-8DF1-EBF07105823A.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel