We Know Estrogen is a Sex Hormone, But is it Also a Neurotransmitter?

Buy Lab Tests Online
My pal Dr. Mark Gordon just sent me this:

Is brain estradiol a hormone or a neurotransmitter? - PubMed

This may explain why T gels are better for treating sexual dysfunction; they provide much more variability throughout the day. This would be in addition to increasing DHT more than shots (usually).

It also may explain why lowering estrogen too far inhibits sexual function.

Be careful with aromatase inhibitors (and ONLY if the estrogen really is too high)!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Jeffrey Becker

I think the issue of variability very important. The emphasis on strictly steady state levels probably at least to some extent, probably blunts the perceived and actual receptor level beneficial effects. A form of resistance perhaps.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Curious if having a prolonged history of deficient estrogen could also contribute to an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease / dementia? I know genetics can factor in the predisposition of this disease, but maybe sub-optimal estrogen levels could also be a variable this and other brain related diseases (?)

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
This is all I could find on the relationship of low estradiol and dementia

Endogenous estradiol and risk of dementia in women and men: The Rotterdam Study

[h=3]Abstract[/b]We determined whether higher endogenous estradiol levels were associated with lower risk of dementia in older men and women not using hormonal replacement therapy, using a case-cohort design within the Rotterdam Study, a population-based follow-up study on chronic diseases, including dementia, in 7,983 subjects aged 55 years or older, and ongoing since 1990. The analyses were based on a random subcohort of 508 women and 438 men, and on 76 women and 53 men with incident dementia. Cox proportional hazards models with robustly estimated standard errors showed that in women higher levels of total estradiol were associated with higher risk of dementia (age-adjusted hazard ratio per standard deviation increase 1.38; 95% CI 1.04–1.84). Age-adjusted HR's of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia associated with higher levels of total estradiol (per SD increase) were 1.24 (95% CI 0.87–1.76) and 2.19 (95% CI 1.22–3.92), respectively. Similar results were observed for bioavailable estradiol. Additional adjustments for potential confounders did not change the results substantially. In men, no clear association was observed between estradiol levels and risk of dementia or its subtypes. The findings do not support the hypothesis that higher levels of endogenous estradiol reduce risk of dementia, neither in women nor in men. Ann Neurol 2003

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
estradiol1.jpg

I like this graphic to show the target tissues affected by estradiol

Steroid users report a strong sense of well being and feeling 'alpha male' on Testosterone injections and some herbal test-boosting products. I have experienced this myself. It is very real, incredibly strong, incredibly relaxing (anoxlytic) and feels wonderful. Either testosterone (another hormone) influences neurotransmitters, or is a neurotransmitter. Estrogen makes women moody. Clomid makes some men weepy. This is nothing new, eh?

ironman

Thank you Dr Crisler and Nelson, that may explain partly why my shbg is 44 with E2 at 44 also. It's amazing how many different funtions are effected by the simplest things.

DHM

Thank you Dr Crisler and Nelson, that may explain partly why my shbg is 44 with E2 at 44 also. It's amazing how many different funtions are effected by the simplest things.

Same here.

TAT, no AM wood, irritated all the time, brain farter, no sex desire, and fatter by 40lbs over 5 years. Decided to get a hormone draw in January.

LabCorp

Failing Free T (6.7-8.7 over 5 blood draws/6 months) with lower quartile Total T.

SHBG is high every time between 40-45 nmol/L.

Went on clomid stim test for 7 days= Free T doubled, Total T doubled, and SHBG jumped to 56nmol/L.

Not as tired at night during the test, no difference otherwise except a bloodshot eyes. Also gained about 6lbs in a week for no reason.

Worth mentioning, my ALT/SGPT has been over the limit for the last 3 test (50, 55, 75 iu/l). No increases due to working out (TAT= no gym).

Had a CMP (no hormones) last year with less symptoms and high quartile ALT was 33 iu/l (working out at the time).

No surprise, PCP doesnt get Free T and SHGB and pretty reluctant to Rx.

its ironic how as pre-meds, high GPA is a main focus, but a patients lab test that just passes an assay parameter for men ages 2-200yr is great news and not worth treating.

Reality check.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching