Vitamin K: the missing link to prostate health.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Med Hypotheses. 2015 Mar;84(3):219-22. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2014.12.028. Epub 2015 Jan 9.

Vitamin K: the missing link to prostate health.

Donaldson MS1.

Author information

1Hallelujah Acres, 1733 Cutler Way, Zillah, WA 98953, United States. Electronic address: [email protected].

Abstract

Though age-related prostate enlargement is very common in Western societies, and the causes of benign prostate hyperplasia, BPH, have been diligently sought after, there is no biological, mechanistic explanation dealing with the root causes and progression of this very common disorder among men. All treatments to date are based on symptomatic relief, not a fundamental understanding of the cause of the disease. However, recent advances have shown that even subclinical varicoceles, which are more common than generally realized, cause retrograde blood flow from the testes past the prostate gland causing over a 130-fold increase in free testosterone in the veins near the prostate. By treating the varicoceles via embolization of the internal spermatic vein and its communicating and connected vessels the prostate enlargement can be reversed with corresponding symptomatic relief. So, varicose veins in the pampiniform venous plexus, varicoceles, are the direct cause of BPH. But what causes varicoceles? Recent research has uncovered the role of vitamin K in the calcification of varicose veins as well as a role in the proliferation of smooth muscle cells in the media layer of the vein wall. Vitamin K is intimately involved in the formation of varicose veins. The hypothesis is that poor prostate health is essentially a vitamin K insufficiency disorder. By providing vitamin K in the right form and quantity, along with other supporting nutrients and phytochemicals, it is likely that excellent prostate health can be extended much longer, and perhaps poor prostate health can be reversed. A protective role for vitamin K with respect to advanced prostate cancer was already found in the Heidelberg cohort of the EPIC study. This hypothesis can be further evaluated in studies examining the connection between vitamin K and varicoceles, and also by examining the connection between varicoceles and benign prostate hyperplasia. If this hypothesis is found to be true, management of prostate health will be radically altered. Rather than focusing on prostate health as a hormonal imbalance, prostate enlargement will be seen as a result of poor health of the veins in general and the internal spermatic veins in particular. Factors which promote the health of the veins will become a greater focus of research, including the role of vitamin K. Finally, the emerging understanding of the cause of BPH will empower men to take care of their bodies so they can enjoy much better health through their entire lifespan.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
That is one hell of a "hypothesis".

I've had left testicular vericocele since age 18. 90%+ of all vericoceles effect the LEFT testicle. Why? Simply look at the anatomy of the LEFT gonadal/testicular vein. It runs up from the testes to the left renal vein where it makes a sharp 90 degree turn. This is where the impingement begins - pressure increases behind the impingement and the most vulnerable veins are in the pampinoform plexus.

Conversely, the vericose veins draining the RIGHT testicle run upward and into the inferior vena cava at a 20 degree angle. Thus no impingement.

Vericoceles do impact sperm count and testosterone production. It is one of the causes of Primary hypogonadism, which is my condition. In studies of men who had their vericocele surgically corrected to improve fertility - not only does sperm count improve, but testosterone also goes up by about 140 on average. That is a big bump. My morning T levels were 340, so just having the vericocele surgically repaired could get my levels to 480 range. Note 15% of teens have left vericocele, and that percentage goes up as we age. It is estimated that 80% of 70-year-old men have a testicular vericocele, and again 90% of those will be on the left side.

Fireproof

I have read about the benefits of Vitamin K as well as the synergistic benefits of D3 + K.

Have you guys studied about the difference in Vit Ks - K1 vs. K2? I'm a fan of Life Extensions supplements. Here's a short description:
http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01834/super-k-with-advanced-k2-complex

Also - Just recently I found out about their Vit D+K combo supplement - and I am now taking this. One tiny cap daily gets me 5,000 IU of D3, plus K1 & K2.
http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/item01840/Vitamins-D-and-K-with-Sea-Iodine

Jon H

Nelson - This subject is very interesting to me, as I'm very primary hypogonadal, have a varicocele on my left testicle, and slight BPH. I've been on TRT (test cyp) for almost two years.

Is this article in essence stating that i should have my varicocele repaired, simply start taking more vitamin K, or both? When I had my urologist examine the varicocele last year he said "it's just cosmetic, so I don't see a need to repair it". After reading this article I'm leaning towards just going ahead and getting it repaired.

I'm also looking forward to others on Excel Male chime in on this one, especially anyone that's had a varicocele repaired.

I think its important to understand - this is only a hypothesis. There may be a link with vitamin K & varicoceles but specific studies would have to prove this.

As for varicoceles in general - they are very common, and they do lower testosterone. Repairing them is proven to increase testosterone levels. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4708144/

Scroll half way down article to this heading: "Does varicocele repair increase T levels?"
"Taken all these studies together, the authors concluded that serum T was significantly higher than pre-operative levels after varicocele repair. Overall, the mean increase in T was 98 ng/dL."

Jon H

John - Understood, and it looks like the information in the article (for you) applies more towards the effects on testosterone levels. I'm primarily interested in the varicocele/prostate-health connection, as my pre-TRT testosterone level was 180. If it increased by 100 I would still be a miserable wreck without TRT.

Thanks for your prior post, as it was very informative. I knew about varicoceles being more common on the left testicle, but I never knew why.

Jon - I also have left varicocele since age 18 (now 47). Before going on TRT in December my T was 342 in morning, and 204 in afternoon. FSH 16.8 (1.5 - 12.4), and LH 8.2 (1.7 - 8.6). So basically my pituitary was yelling at my testicles to work, but the right testicle could not handle the load alone.

My PSA has been 0.6 both before and after going on TRT. So I'm lucky there. My issue with the original article/hypothesis is that left sided vericocele has a very "anatomical" cause. So suggesting Vitamin K is the cause does not seem to be rooted in science. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicocele#Cause

I have heard many men have both primary and secondary hypogonadism. What were your LH & FSH numbers before starting TRT?

JPB

The speculative part of their hypothesis is that vit-K will help prevent the development of varicocele. The non-speculative part of their hypothesis is that varicocele contributes to problems of BPH, testosterone production, etc. The evidence clearly shows surgery can be effective for varicocele.

gallan

Banned
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale