Vitamin D supplementation modestly reduces serum iron.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Systemlord

I started Vitamin D supplementation due to a deficiency on Jan 13th and started having problems I couldn't identify until now. My iron requirements have gone up considerably since starting Vitamin D supplementation and was having symptoms that started at the time I started Vitamin D supplementation.

It states: Vitamin D can also potentially affect circulating iron status by promoting erythropoiesis and by suppressing hepcidin expression. Lower levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and hepcidin increase iron bioavailability for erythropoiesis and hemoglobin synthesis by preventing iron sequestration in macrophages.

I'm not fully able to comprehend what any of this means, so my question is does this mean hemoglobin levels will increase?

Thanks.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Wolverine

Interesting. Thanks for posting. It appears that Vit D and serum iron may have an inverse relationship. My ferritin is always good but my serum iron in range low and I supplement with 5000iu of Vit D daily. I'm going to stop the Vit D and see if my serum iron levels go up.

T

tareload

I started Vitamin D supplementation due to a deficiency on Jan 13th and started having problems I couldn't identify until now. My iron requirements have gone up considerably since starting Vitamin D supplementation and was having symptoms that started at the time I started Vitamin D supplementation.

It states: Vitamin D can also potentially affect circulating iron status by promoting erythropoiesis and by suppressing hepcidin expression. Lower levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and hepcidin increase iron bioavailability for erythropoiesis and hemoglobin synthesis by preventing iron sequestration in macrophages.

I'm not fully able to comprehend what any of this means, so my question is does this mean hemoglobin levels will increase?

Thanks.
I don't remember your whole story. Why are you on exogenous Testosterone again? You also appear to take iron supplements, you are diabetic, and you regularly run very high Hct. Seems like you continue to throw gasoline on a fire but maybe I am missing something. Have you been checked for hemochromatosis?

What was your pre-TRT baseline labs? Baseline TT, SHBG, Hct, CMP? What's was your bodyfat level prior to TRT vs now? How long have you been on TRT?

If you don't know/estimate BF, what is your height/weight/waist circumference now vs prior to TRT?

I've been reading over your posts for years now but you never seem to figure things out. Genuinely curious at this point.

Systemlord

I don't remember your whole story. Why are you on exogenous Testosterone again? You also appear to take iron supplements, you are diabetic, and you regularly run very high Hct. Seems like you continue to throw gasoline on a fire but maybe I am missing something. Have you been checked for hemochromatosis?

What was your pre-TRT baseline labs? Baseline TT, SHBG, Hct, CMP? What's was your bodyfat level prior to TRT vs now? How long have you been on TRT?

If you don't know/estimate BF, what is your height/weight/waist circumference now vs prior to TRT?

I've been reading over your posts for years now but you never seem to figure things out. Genuinely curious at this point.
Yes, I stopped TRT in 2019 (started 2017) due to multiple deficiencies (iron, potassium, vitamin C & D), once satisfied with iron status I hopped back on TRT 8 months later and eventually found out injections was never going to work (Test prop maybe) and last May went on Jatenzo and had a positive experience for the first time.

I need shorter half-life formulations of TRT to make it work, the longer half-life causes dangerously low blood pressure while sleeping, waking up clears the blood pressure issues which start as I'm drifting asleep.

I strongly believe these issues arise from rock steady hormones, and don't respond to TRT beyond EOD injections and don't have those blood pressure issues likely due to a non-response to treatment.

I'm a diabetic (A1C 6.4%, down from 12% 8 months ago) and run a high HCT requiring phlebotomies every 2 months.

Pre-TRT Total T was 91 ng/dL, LH 3.6 and FSH 4.6 and SHBG 11. My body fat was 35% and is now 28% and falling.

As for recurring problems, these deficiencies always seem to come back due to not taking enough supplements and I have learned what side effects belong to each deficiency, having had all four simultaneously it took time to figure it all out.

Right now, I'm dealing with vitamin D toxicity and have to avoid calcium. As for the comment about throwing gasoline on a fire, I can see how it looks that way, but my diabetes is very finicky.

It also took me a while to learn I can't take the vitamins all at once in the morning, or it like I didn't take it at all. That was a hard lesson to learn. I have to take my iron three separate times during the day, same with vitamin D.

I had GI tract testing which showed food is accelerated through the GI too quickly.

Last edited:
T

tareload

Yes, I stopped TRT in 2019 (started 2017) due to multiple deficiencies (iron, potassium, vitamin C & D), once satisfied with iron status I hopped back on TRT 8 months later and eventually found out injections was never going to work (Test prop maybe) and last May went on Jatenzo and had a positive experience for the first time.

I need shorter half-life formulations of TRT to make it work, the longer half-life causes dangerously low blood pressure while sleeping, waking up clears the blood pressure issues which start as I'm drifting asleep.

I strongly believe these issues arise from rock steady hormones, and don't respond to TRT beyond EOD injections and don't have those blood pressure issues likely due to a non-response to treatment.

I'm a diabetic (A1C 6.4%, down from 12% 8 months ago) and run a high HCT requiring phlebotomies every 2 months.

Pre-TRT Total T was 91 ng/dL, LH 3.6 and FSH 4.6 and SHBG 11. My body fat was 35% and is now 28% and falling.

As for recurring problems, these deficiencies always seem to come back due to not taking enough supplements and I have learned what side effects belong to each deficiency, having had all four simultaneously it took time to figure it all out.

Right now, I'm dealing with vitamin D toxicity and have to avoid calcium. As for the comment about throwing gasoline on a fire, I can see how it looks that way, but my diabetes is very finicky.

It also took me a while to learn I can't take the vitamins all at once in the morning, or it like I didn't take it at all. That was a hard lesson to learn. I have to take my iron three separate times during the day, same with vitamin D.

I had GI tract testing which showed food is accelerated through the GI too quickly.
Thanks for the time to lay some of your history out there. Obviously would be difficult to work through all your history on a forum but I was puzzled why you are (1) taking iron, (2) raising Hct, (3) then draining blood so frequently? How about drop the iron and see how your Hct responds? Again I am probably missing something(s) but with your data just curious why the iron supplementation?

I'm sure you are aware probably the best thing you could do for yourself is dramatically reduce your waist circumference. You could do that with or without TRT.

I wish you the best.

T

tareload

1. Why are you taking iron supplement?
  2. Drop the iron supplement and drop the frequent phlebotomy?
  3. What was your Hct before TRT?
  4. Do you have an iron panel prior to TRT?
  5. Were you diagnosed anemic prior to TRT?
  6. What does your iron panel+ferritin look like currently?

Hereditary Hemochromatosis

This reference may be of interest to you:

Last edited by a moderator:

Systemlord

How about drop the iron and see how your Hct responds?
I tried that and didn't feel good at all, it took me several months to figure out my iron dosing. I take 3 (28mg each, chelated) in the morning, 1 at noon and the last one at 3pm, if I miss one, I start to feel bad 2 hours later.

If I miss any and don't take them, the following morning I can get out of bed. My brain just won't wake up and it takes a while to get going. The crazy thing is if I stop TRT while being anemic as I did in 2019, ferritin 24, iron 42, without iron supplements, ferritin will increase to 120, iron 136 within 2 months in its own.

I did just that by adding vitamin C to my diet for the first time in my life. I always had a hacking cough throughout my 20's, 30's and 40's. No more.

Last edited:
T

tareload

Have you seen a hemotologist/oncologist who is trained in blood disorders to properly work you up and provide guidance?

Systemlord

Have you seen a hemotologist/oncologist who is trained in blood disorders to properly work you up and provide guidance?
Yes, but didn't get very far. I do have Gilbert's syndrome, bilirubin 2.3, but no yellow skin.

The minute I tell them ferritin climbs by itself with no supplementation when TRT is stopped, they will blame the TRT. I joined Kaiser in 2017 with iron at the very bottom of the ranges, iron saturation at 14% (20-55%) and nobody said a thing.

The leg pain I had for 20 years got worse on TRT and 2.5 years later, then I became anemic. That chronic cough I had for 20 years went away with iron supplementation.

I'm just glad to be finely going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching