TRT induced anxiety and panic attacks can be caused by Monoamine Oxidase A gene.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Systemlord

MAOA gene​

Monoamine Oxidase A

The MAOA gene provides instructions for making an enzyme called monoamine oxidase A. This enzyme is part of a family of enzymes that break down molecules called monoamines through a chemical reaction known as oxidation. Among the monoamines broken down by monoamine oxidase A are certain chemicals that act as neurotransmitters, which transmit signals between nerve cells in the brain. Neurotransmitters are broken down when signaling is no longer needed.

Specifically, monoamine oxidase A is involved in the breakdown of the neurotransmitters serotonin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Signals transmitted by serotonin regulate mood, emotion, sleep, and appetite. Epinephrine and norepinephrine control the body's response to stress. Dopamine transmits signals within the brain to produce smooth physical movements.

Monoamine oxidase A also helps break down monoamines found in the diet. It seems to be particularly important in the breakdown of excess tyramine, which is found in cheese and other foods.

Monoamine oxidase A appears to be involved in normal brain development before birth. The enzyme plays a role in the controlled self-destruction of cells (apoptosis), which is an important process in the development of many tissues and organs, including the brain.

Treatment -> pregnenolone, and or magnesium.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
We could also discuss this paper. I will try to get the full one.

Simbarn

We could also discuss this paper. I will try to get the full one.
I wonder if this is connected with the possibility that testosterone replacement can increase levels of SERT in some individuals, thus lowering the amount of serotonin in the synapse.
I was discussing this with another member in this thread.

I wonder if this is connected with the possibility that testosterone replacement can increase levels of SERT in some individuals, thus lowering the amount of serotonin in the synapse.
I was discussing this with another member in this thread.

Yes this topic is something I’ve been researching for a bit. If anyone has done Ancestry or 23andme, you can run your data through NutraHacker and see your SNPs. I have both MAO-A messed up and SERT. NutraHacker suggests avoiding all androgens and estrogens and using progesterone. I’m not sure what research they are pulling from to get this info, but I’m assuming it some study and not just a blog.

I’ve been on and off TRT and can’t really say that my anxiety gets any worse on it, maybe more physical symptoms. That being said, my last TRT ride was way too high of a dose.

There are also COMT and GAD1 issues to look towards for anxiety as well, and of course just past issues, trauma, etc.

I think the genetic thing is going to be helpful down the road, but there are lot of rabbit holes to fall down and hucksters out there trying to cash in on this with supplements and consultations and all of that is well.

Interesting thread. Subbed.

I have comt mutations, but 23andme didn't test for Mao mutations...unsure why.
I believe all your genetic data is in the 23andMe test, they just don’t provide analysis of all genes. If you plug your raw data into GeneticGenie (free or donation based) or Nutrahacker (small fee) you should see all of your SNPs.

GreenMachineX

I believe all your genetic data is in the 23andMe test, they just don’t provide analysis of all genes. If you plug your raw data into GeneticGenie (free or donation based) or Nutrahacker (small fee) you should see all of your SNPs.
Right, it reads "not analyzed" or tested or whatever. Pretty lame.

XXY47

I struggled with this most of my life, and then I had other issues with my digestion. My current doctor did the tests and thought, I should try a elimination diet and see what I was eating that was contributing to digestion issues. But while I was on the elimination diet (basically only meat and no carbs) for a month. Once I completed my month I knew exactly what was driving my anxiety, depression, mood swings, and loss of cognitive thought, etc. I will never go back to eating carbs, only steak for me.

GreenMachineX

I struggled with this most of my life, and then I had other issues with my digestion. My current doctor did the tests and thought, I should try a elimination diet and see what I was eating that was contributing to digestion issues. But while I was on the elimination diet (basically only meat and no carbs) for a month. Once I completed my month I knew exactly what was driving my anxiety, depression, mood swings, and loss of cognitive thought, etc. I will never go back to eating carbs, only steak for me.
I've recently noticed the exact opposite. Low carb diets make me crazy... crazy high energy, anxiety, heart rate, insomnia, etc, but my brain works too well lol.

XXY47

I've recently noticed the exact opposite. Low carb diets make me crazy... crazy high energy, anxiety, heart rate, insomnia, etc, but my brain works too well lol.
This is not really a low carb diet, it is a no carb diet. Seems when I had a bunch of tests, I should have to ability to get nutrients from my intestines but the mechanism that usually does that is damaged. Which from what the doctor explained is why I have to drink so much water and kind of wet down my food. I make sure my meat is fatty, because I basically live on the fat. I also drink no caffeine which is another story and one that resulted in nerve damage.

I get pressured from time to time to sample a carb food, if I do I lose about 2-3 weeks of work because I am sick. Bloat, mental fog, no energy, my gut swells up to a beachball, and I have blood in my stool. And thus why my doctors recommend Keto/carnivore strict and fasting.

But I will admit a buddy of mine blows through carbs and throws weights and is lean, he never seems to have any issues. I guess a lot plays on if you can digest your food.

TLR

I had issues with anxiety before starting TRT, but I noticed a sharp increase in it after starting. Had been stable for 12 years on 50 mg Zoloft a day before that. Dose increases and trying other meds doesn’t touch it except for Clonazepam. Tried to go off with a Clomid restart but apparently my balls are fried. So, I’m currently running 60 mg a week and taking Clonazepam. It’s humbling to realize just how much we DONT know about the interactions and effects of hormone manipulation. Envious of the guys that can hop on testosterone and it seem to work for them as advertised

granger

also if taking a benzo as I am sure you know that will decrease your natural test levels ie clomid won't work aswell. I think it restricts LH hormone(double check that) but pain meds will do the same thing, and why on the train spotting movie buddy talks about how horny he gets off off heroin. assume other things involved but prob gets a big dose of LH and test after stopping heroin.

in other words clomid block receptor to make your body make more LH and then test however benzo is preventing the LH from being released/working(not sure of mechanism) and therefore not much test would be produced.

also Zoloft will decrease test aswell so if on benzo and antidepressant one would think you need HCG to restart ur testies vs clomid... I am sure im not saying anything you dont know.. but ya.

be careful and not just hop on a MAOI because u feel it maybe an answer as MAOI will restrict your diet and do have side effects you may not want to play around with. interesting enough we are learning that in fact its not serotonin deficiency that is causing depression. SSRI work for some however its more of a mood changer to feel less overall than actually cure the cause which as it turns out isn't a lack of neurotransmitters like SSRI increase.

at any rate magnesium seems like a reasonable thing vs promoting MOAI.

Last edited:

TLR

also if taking a benzo as I am sure you know that will decrease your natural test levels ie clomid won't work aswell. I think it restricts LH hormone(double check that) but pain meds will do the same thing, and why on the train spotting movie buddy talks about how horny he gets off off heroin. assume other things involved but prob gets a big dose of LH and test after stopping heroin.

in other words clomid block receptor to make your body make more LH and then test however benzo is preventing the LH from being released/working(not sure of mechanism) and therefore not much test would be produced.

also Zoloft will decrease test aswell so if on benzo and antidepressant one would think you need HCG to restart ur testies vs clomid... I am sure im not saying anything you dont know.. but ya.

be careful and not just hop on a MAOI because u feel it maybe an answer as MAOI will restrict your diet and do have side effects you may not want to play around with. interesting enough we are learning that in fact its not serotonin deficiency that is causing depression. SSRI work for some however its more of a mood changer to feel less overall than actually cure the cause which as it turns out isn't a lack of neurotransmitters like SSRI increase.

at any rate magnesium seems like a reasonable thing vs promoting MOAI.
Yeah….it was in 2015….I used HCG, Clomid and anastrozole for 6 weeks….got good gonadotropin response but testicles didn’t seem to care….

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me