Trazodone: Common sleep drug is little-known antidepressant

Buy Lab Tests Online

sammmy

I take Zolpidem about every other day - it gives me 6 hours of sleep. Falling asleep on it is sudden and effortless like turning off a light switch and I never remember the moment of falling asleep, nor I remember any dreams on Zolpidem. Obviously it impacts memory formation while the drug is active during the night. However, my memory formation during the day when the drug concentration falls to negligible levels is not affected.

On days when I don't take Zolpidem, I have trouble falling asleep and the night is broken into a sequence of several disconnected dreams with waking up in between. I also do not seem to fall into a very deep dreaming, my logical sense remains turned on during the dream and I am able to evaluate the dream and often direct it in the way I want - something untypical for a real dreaming state.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I have several patients on Trazodone 100mg and then I'll put a topper on like hydroxyzine 25 or the 50 mg to help them get to sleep and stay asleep and for many it works. I do not prescribe men more than a 150 mg of Trazodone because I've seen a number of cases of priapism and I want to avoid that.
Trazodone and priapism?

Sides

Trazodone and priapism?

"And some evidence suggests that it can cause priapism, or persistent erection, a medical emergency that may require surgery and can lead to impotence if not treated promptly."

LerxstM4

How often do use Zolpidem and when you do, do you sleep eight hours question

Hey Vince, I take it every night around the same time (9:40ish) and usually turn the lights out at 10:15. I sleep soundly all night and normal wake time is 5:30ish.

Not quite 8 hours but I also don't feel tired during the say and never ever take naps. Im pretty regimented.

On weekends I take it later and sleep a little later, depending on what time the sun starts poking through the closed shutters.

LerxstM4

Hey Vince, I take it every night around the same time (9:40ish) and usually turn the lights out at 10:15. I sleep soundly all night and normal wake time is 5:30ish.

Not quite 8 hours but I also don't feel tired during the say and never ever take naps. Im pretty regimented.

On weekends I take it later and sleep a little later, depending on what time the sun starts poking through the closed shutters.

---I actually thought this was in reply to my earlier post so I spoke out of turn.

DorianGray

Trazodone and priapism?

I saw one paper long ago about it possibly increasing libido (can't recall the reference) but never heard anything about priapism either. But, pulled this up just now:

"... but the severe priapism, which happens in perhaps one in 6,000 to 10,000 patients, was more common among the young. Some older folks on trazodone might find a little increase in sexual function, but most did not..." (Is Trazodone the New Brain Wonder Drug?)

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I saw one paper long ago about it possibly increasing libido (can't recall the reference) but never heard anything about priapism either. But, pulled this up just now:

"... but the severe priapism, which happens in perhaps one in 6,000 to 10,000 patients, was more common among the young. Some older folks on trazodone might find a little increase in sexual function, but most did not..." (Is Trazodone the New Brain Wonder Drug?)
Interesting find. I tried it once for sleep but it left me feeling foggy the next day. I never tried it again, maybe I should.

DorianGray

Interesting find. I tried it once for sleep but it left me feeling foggy the next day. I never tried it again, maybe I should.

Well, if you have any left, and don't need to be sharp out of the gate, what the heck. Too bad we don't know how long they took it before effects were noted as such. Probably harmless with normal dose in a healthy person in any case. Good luck but be careful.

Vince

Super Moderator
Well, if you have any left, and don't need to be sharp out of the gate, what the heck. Too bad we don't know how long they took it before effects were noted as such. Probably harmless with normal dose in a healthy person in any case. Good luck but be careful.
When I do decide to try Trazodone again, I would cut the pill in quarters. I would try it at a very low dose and see what benefit I get if any.

Gef

I only now saw this old thread; hope it’s alright. I’ve taken trazodone off and on over the past several years mainly for sleep but I limited it due to the numerous serious erections during the night and the possible risk of priapism. Recently I began again in order to wean off eszopiclone. However it’s strange to me that this time the night wood is no longer consistent as it once was; kind of hit and miss. The effectiveness as a sleep aid is now just mostly effective. Can current T levels influence my response to trazodone? It may just be coincidental but when I dropped my dosage of enclomiphene recently the nightly wood returned to “normal”. Might there be a connection or merely coincidental?

Vtail

I tried Trazadone recently at the advice of a friend. He said 25mg lets him sleep soundly. I tried 25, then 50, then 75 and my sleep was still broken throughout the night (as is usual for me), I then tried 100mg which was the dosage my doc wrote it for and I did sleep well but was very groggy the next morning - so its a no-go for me. In fact, I woke to pee in the middle of the night and was so groggy that it made me feel a little nauseous until I was able to lie down again. Other than that, no side effects like those discussed in this thread. Maybe I didn't take it long enough.

Fortunate

I only now saw this old thread; hope it’s alright. I’ve taken trazodone off and on over the past several years mainly for sleep but I limited it due to the numerous serious erections during the night and the possible risk of priapism. Recently I began again in order to wean off eszopiclone. However it’s strange to me that this time the night wood is no longer consistent as it once was; kind of hit and miss. The effectiveness as a sleep aid is now just mostly effective. Can current T levels influence my response to trazodone? It may just be coincidental but when I dropped my dosage of enclomiphene recently the nightly wood returned to “normal”. Might there be a connection or merely coincidental?
I can't speak to how T may interact with Trazadone, but I have been on Trazadone for several years for sleep. 100mg every night. I have tried a few times to wean off it, and it has been hell. Feel terrible during the day, so I just accept that I need it to sleep.

As an aside, I find Trazadone is useful for sleep induction (helps you fall asleep), but not great for sleep maintenance (stay asleep). I actually also take doxepin, also for sleep. Both are antidepressants, but of different classes. Trazadone gets me to sleep and doxepin keeps me asleep. There is some controversy over long term use of tricylics and possible connection to dementia. That said, I'll go nuts if I can't sleep, so I accept the risks.

I would caution against long term use of ambien and drugs in that class. Can be hard to get off (although I am also stuck on my meds), and in my opinion, makes you more likely to be groggy and hungover in the morning. These drugs are essentially very low dose benzodiazepines, which are fairly risky.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
About 8% of U.S. adults said they use medication to sleep, with even higher rates reported among women and older adults, a CDC survey study showed.

Key findings
Data from the National Health Interview Survey

1. In 2020, 8.4% of adults took sleep medication in the last 30 days either every day or most days to help them fall or stay asleep.
  2. Women (10.2%) were more likely than men (6.6%) to take medication for sleep, and the use of medication generally increased with increasing age.
  3. Use of sleep medication varied by race and Hispanic origin for both men and women.
  4. Among men, those with the highest family incomes were least likely to use sleep medication compared with lower- and middle-income groups.

Fortunate

About 8% of U.S. adults said they use medication to sleep, with even higher rates reported among women and older adults, a CDC survey study showed.

Key findings
Data from the National Health Interview Survey

1. In 2020, 8.4% of adults took sleep medication in the last 30 days either every day or most days to help them fall or stay asleep.
  2. Women (10.2%) were more likely than men (6.6%) to take medication for sleep, and the use of medication generally increased with increasing age.
  3. Use of sleep medication varied by race and Hispanic origin for both men and women.
  4. Among men, those with the highest family incomes were least likely to use sleep medication compared with lower- and middle-income groups.
I've used Trazadone for sleep for years. My biggest issue with it is that it's really hard to get off. I tried to stop cold turkey once and felt horrendous. I didn't know about withdrawal until I experienced. I did some bro-science research and found lots of similar stories.

Another time, I tried to taper off, but that didn't work either, so I said, "F it - I'll just stay on it."

My two cents.

Sly

Trazadone helped me sleep, but felt hungover the next day. Not worth it IMHO. I’ll stick with ibuprofen Pm.

sammmy

Trazadone helped me sleep, but felt hungover the next day. Not worth it IMHO. I’ll stick with ibuprofen Pm.

If the ibuprofen does not contribute to the sleep effect for you, it is not a good idea to take it daily - damages intestines and kidneys. For me pure ibuprofen helps sleep but I am a minority.

Better take only the other component with the main sedative properties - diphenhydramine.

Sly

If the ibuprofen does not contribute to the sleep effect for you, it is not a good idea to take it daily - damages intestines and kidneys. For me pure ibuprofen helps sleep but I am a minority.

Better take only the other component with the main sedative properties - diphenhydramine.
I’ve tried taking just the diphenhydramine and it’s not the same for me. I take the Walgreens brand Ibuprofen Pm, nothing else compares for me. I take upwards of 2,400mg of ibuprofen per day for the last 10 years and all my numbers are golden that would be affected by it. My only health issue is high hemoglobin, which I manage with blood donations.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me