Thyroid Lab Results and Symptoms

Buy Lab Tests Online

DixieWrecked

Prior to treating my hypothyroidism I really didn't even know that i had hypothyroidism. My Dr pinpointed some things on my blood work and explained how medication might help. That was 8 months ago. Here are those lab results.

free t3 (2 - 4.4): 3.1
free t4 (.82 - 1.77): 1.45
TSH (.45 - 4.5): 2.3

I worked my way up to a grain of T3/T4 and never really noticed much until now (6-8 months later). I have very little energy. Tired all the time. My resting heart rate is 40. Body temps between 96.4-97.2. Feeling depressed. In other words I feel like I am doing much worse. My next set of labs is on Tuesday.

Question: Do you think my blood work warranted medication? What were other options I could have taken before going to medication? Any advice is appreciated.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gman86

Your blood work indicates that you may benefit from thyroid medication. What looks like happened is that you are taking too low of a dose, and might have lower levels than when u started.

DixieWrecked

@BuzzSaw no rt3 but that is on the req for my labs on Tuedsay.

@Gman86 why would I have lower values now? I thought their wasn't a negative feedback loop for thyroid like there is with test. Shouldn't the meds just be adding to my natural production of t3/t4?

Gman86

@BuzzSaw no rt3 but that is on the req for my labs on Tuedsay.

@Gman86 why would I have lower values now? I thought their wasn't a negative feedback loop for thyroid like there is with test. Shouldn't the meds just be adding to my natural production of t3/t4?

I’ve wondered this myself. I did an experiment recently to try and see if very low doses will just add to your natural production. But still not sure. Labs kept coming back looking basically the same as when I’m on nothing at all. Had labs done on a 1/4 grain, and 1/2 grain.

But the amount of suppression is definitely dose dependent. On 2 1/2 grains, I was completely suppressed, as far as I know. TSH was basically at zero.

Vince

Super Moderator
Prior to treating my hypothyroidism I really didn't even know that i had hypothyroidism. My Dr pinpointed some things on my blood work and explained how medication might help. That was 8 months ago. Here are those lab results.

I worked my way up to a grain of T3/T4 and never really noticed much until now (6-8 months later). I have very little energy. Tired all the time. My resting heart rate is 40. Body temps between 96.4-97.2. Feeling depressed. In other words I feel like I am doing much worse. My next set of labs is on Tuesday.

Question: Do you think my blood work warranted medication? What were other options I could have taken before going to medication? Any advice is appreciated.
A very low-dose generic T3 may help. I would start with a very low dose like 6.25 MCG of liothyronine. If all goes well you may like to take it twice a day.

DixieWrecked

@Vince Do you say that to avoid t4 to rt3 conversion?

Is it possible that skipping meds and using coq10 and iodine would have been helpful?

Last edited:

BuzzSaw

I’ve wondered this myself. I did an experiment recently to try and see if very low doses will just add to your natural production.

Not sure, but I think if you supplement with thyroid meds then it shuts down your own thyroid production (like TRT)?

Vince

Super Moderator
Not sure, but I think if you supplement with thyroid meds then it shuts down your own thyroid production (like TRT)?
If you take thyroid meds, you will lower your TSH. You can completely shut down your thyroid, with high dose thyroid meds. That shouldn't be an issue on low-dose meds.

Vvs1

Get a reverse t3 and saliva cortisol test. Ideally the cortisol 4 sample, 24 hour type.

Your adrenals probably have to work harder to make up for the low thyroid.

BuzzSaw

I see, thanks. I'm gonna be on a small dose of T3 (15 or 25ug daily), to hopefully supplement my thyroid (and not shut it down). See how it goes, but good luck getting it dialled in.

JimGainz

All the discussion is so premature, key tests omitted but being done now, I see no reason to have been treating anything absent those tests most notable is the RT3. The initial tests are not bad per se, a little sub optimal perhaps but treatment at that point was ill advised.

IMHO.
I totally agree. Those labs look fine overall. Reverse T3 will be a key determining factor

DixieWrecked

Alright gents I got my labs back and here are the results. If I miss anything please just let me know and I'll edit this post. Your input is appreciated.

38mcg t4 / 9mcg t3
free t3 (2 - 4.4): 3.4
free t4 (.82 - 1.77): 1.38
TSH (.45 - 4.5): 2.78
rt3 (9.2 - 21.4): 19.2

pre thyroid treatment

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors