The "Your T3 is pooling" theory

Buy Lab Tests Online

mcs

I'm not sure sure I buy into the "your T3 is pooling and not getting into the cells" theory, as I've not been able to find data in the literature that supports pooling as an actual measurable phenomenon. To this day, the only resource I've found that even mentions it is from Janey Bowthorpe's Stop the Thyroid Madness lay blogs, books and its steadfast followers, practitioners included.

If anyone can share some actual evidence-based links that can show that pooling is more than just a theory that looks good on paper and sounds like a convenient cause of what's happening to some who are on T3 or NDT, please do so.

Then there's also the whole issue with rT3 interpretation for those of us that look beyond conventional wisdom's views. I found this blog to be one of the more intelligent views:
What’s The Deal With Reverse T3? | Dr. Alan Christianson

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Interesting article—thanks for sharing. I had top-of-range reverse T3 and have felt a lot better with a fairly small daily T3 dose, 10 mcg. But the thought of an undiscovered underlying cause has been nagging at me. Only recently did I start to consider a potential connection to my perpetually bottom-of-range serum protein. The article does mention protein malnutrition as being linked to Euthyroid Sick Syndrome. Of course I'm not sure that a connection would hold with a mild low-protein condition, but now that I'm taking extra protein every morning I will see what my next lab results show.

apsjiml

I'm not sure sure I buy into the "your T3 is pooling and not getting into the cells" theory, as I've not been able to find data in the literature that supports pooling as an actual measurable phenomenon. To this day, the only resource I've found that even mentions it is from Janey Bowthorpe's Stop the Thyroid Madness lay blogs, books and its steadfast followers, practitioners included.

If anyone can share some actual evidence-based links that can show that pooling is more than just a theory that looks good on paper and sounds like a convenient cause of what's happening to some who are on T3 or NDT, please do so.

Then there's also the whole issue with rT3 interpretation for those of us that look beyond conventional wisdom's views. I found this blog to be one of the more intelligent views:
What’s The Deal With Reverse T3? | Dr. Alan Christianson

pooling, or reverse t3 are two separate topics.

Pooling would be suggesting that the t3 is not getting into the cells and the free t3 levels is just "pooling in the blood" That is a stop the thyroid madness thing. I will say, Knowing people that went in for lab testing that have adrenal insufficiency as well as hypo thyroid I have seen them not take their cortisol on the day of the lab tests and their free t3 is way higher. The next time they go in for labs (usually to retest it) their free t3 is back down once they take their cortisol the morning of the lab test. I have seen that. . I have not seen studies on it. just mentioned in stop the thyroid madness. However, I have seen peoples labs like that. I will say I have seen many people go on t3 only and their free t3 went way down along with reverse t3, I think it is from " One potential problem with these methods is the separation of 3,5,3′-triiodothyronine (T3) and 3,3′,5′-triiodothyronine (rT3), due to the high level of structural similarity between the compounds. However, as rT3 is not physiologically active, it is necessary to be able to separate the two compounds in order to obtain an accurate result [2]. A study found that rT3 and T3 can be separated when the MS detector is operated in negative mode " I wonder sometimes how accurate the free t3 test is at times. because I never see lc-ms/ms used.

Now reverse t3 issues, the issue could obviously be if a person is taking t4, and they have high reverse t3 and low free t3, they can't keep taking a lot more t4, that is not going to work because it is just getting converted into reverse t3 instead of free t3. That is what reverse t3 is made from. (t4) Reverse t3 issues lack of deiodinase) are caused from anything from genetic issues, inflammation, low testosterone, low iron, low growth hormone and so many other things not yet known. When people have this issue, often times, they try to go up in thyroid because free t3 is not very good, and they go up in a combo thyroid therapy or t4 and all they end up with is high reverse t3 and still have lower free t3. As far as studies, they have one study on older people and compared people with a reverse t3 over the range and the others in the range and the people with the highest reverse t3, had a worse metabolism and health. Animal studies did show rt3 lowers their metabolism. More studies need to be done for sure. A direct comparison of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry with clinical routine testing immunoassay methods for the detection and quantification of thyroid hormones in blood serum
How reliable are free thyroid and total T3 hormone assays?

apsjiml

Interesting article—thanks for sharing. I had top-of-range reverse T3 and have felt a lot better with a fairly small daily T3 dose, 10 mcg. But the thought of an undiscovered underlying cause has been nagging at me. Only recently did I start to consider a potential connection to my perpetually bottom-of-range serum protein. The article does mention protein malnutrition as being linked to Euthyroid Sick Syndrome. Of course I'm not sure that a connection would hold with a mild low-protein condition, but now that I'm taking extra protein every morning I will see what my next lab results show.

Underlying causes could also be genetic, deiodinase gene defects, any inflammation- could be HAshimoto's I suppose, to arthritis , can cause this , as well as low iron, low growth hormone, low testosterone, all make a huge difference in thyroid conversion

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me