The "old guy" workout :)

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nashtide

That depends on loading, time of the push, goals, etc. Max push for short distance will have different effects than moderate loads for longer distances and short rest periods. If you're trying to HIIT, a load that's close to max effort for 20-30s seconds of pushing, followed by 1m rest, should be in the ball park. What distance choices do you have?
I’ve not actually measured the distance, but I’d estimate it at about 50 feet.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

JimGainz

I used to lift competitively in high school and college, now at 52 I have no desire to slug heavy weights around. My routine consists of dumbbells, and barbells – mostly complex movements such as deadlifts, front squats, bent over rows, overhead press – are the core of my program. I’ve recently begun incorporating farmers carries on my lifting days and this has done absolutely wonders for my shoulder strength, trap size, and scapular stability. I lift 4 days per week, hitting each body part twice, and I’m done in 30-40 minutes. No cardio other than casual bike rides or now, doing 1 or 2 rounds of the 7 minute workout app when I feel like it.
As we age, resistance training becomes more important than cardio IMO. A lot of cardiac health is inherited and other risks can be mediated through statins if it becomes a problem – but old age muscle wasting is a real disease – and a real problem so it’s good that we keep up the strength training as we age.

Will Brink

I’ve not actually measured the distance, but I’d estimate it at about 50 feet.

If HIIT, weight you can just make the distance in 20-30 seconds, 1min rest. For endurance work, strength development, etc, could be different, such as longer or shorter rest periods and such. Cant go wrong with sled work.

Nashtide

If HIIT, weight you can just make the distance in 20-30 seconds, 1min rest. For endurance work, strength development, etc, could be different, such as longer or shorter rest periods and such. Cant go wrong with sled work.
I have a leg weakness issue. I won’t bore you with the details. So if I decide to try the sled it would be more for strength than HIIT.

galaxy

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on high intensity training. There's a lot of research coming out that what matters most is intensity of effort rather than load. Ie training to failure with 50%,75%, or 90% of 1RM all achieve the same thing for the most part. Additionally the research is showing that strength training to failure shows a lot of similar adaptations to pure cardio. Finally, if you rush between sets you'll get a metabolic workout as well.

Also for those looking for a joint friendly workout Drew Baye has a high intensity program called project Kratos that's all bodyweight and timed static contractions that use different mechanically disadvantaged positions to continually escalate the resistance up.

Loki

I have much better workouts when I shorten the rest time and increase my reps. With that being said I also have to increase the weight as I grow and get stronger. When I tell people I do high rep sets and they look at me they often call bullshit..... Until I tell them I am doing 315 on bench for 25 reps...

I still love getting stronger so I always pyramid as well down to 4 reps or so just to see how much stronger I am getting... Anything below 4 reps for me just seems dangerous for very little reward..

Sly

I am now 47 years old and have been lifting for 34 years. I went from a skinny 160 my senior year to a high of 227 in my late 20’s. Was usually one of the biggest guys as far as muscles in the gym. I am now plagued with arthritis, so severely in my elbows(had surgery on the right) to where I haven’t done direct bicep work in over 2 years. I still get compliments on my arms though and my body in general. My workouts have went from 5 days a week to 2. When I do workout every exercise is performed very deliberately and the “mind muscle” connection is the main focus. Moderate weight on back and chest exercises along with isometric moves have revived muscle memory and I actually look stronger than I am. The old adage, “ work smarter not harder” definitely works.

Fred52

I'm 52 with a home gym. All free weights with a rack. I squat with an SSB and deadlift with a Hex/Trap bar. I'm 5'9" and 193 lbs at 16% body fat. Hit 315 on bench back in July, OHP 180 lbs and 460 deadlift. Squats are my bane, and I've injured myself a couple times lately. Still not giving up on them...just going light and S L O W L Y working back up.

Recently just switched up my program to be a lot more dumbbell oriented. My heaviest dumbbells are 90's and I can do sets of ten on bench with those so I have a pair of 105's coming in.

slicktop

I'm 52 with a home gym. All free weights with a rack. I squat with an SSB and deadlift with a Hex/Trap bar. I'm 5'9" and 193 lbs at 16% body fat. Hit 315 on bench back in July, OHP 180 lbs and 460 deadlift. Squats are my bane, and I've injured myself a couple times lately. Still not giving up on them...just going light and S L O W L Y working back up.

Recently just switched up my program to be a lot more dumbbell oriented. My heaviest dumbbells are 90's and I can do sets of ten on bench with those so I have a pair of 105's coming in.
WTF... how? I'm your same height and weight but at 11%, 42 y/o, and can't get close to 315 on the bench. Is that your actual 1RM or your working weight? Damn. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, too.

Fred52

WTF... how? I'm your same height and weight but at 11%, 42 y/o, and can't get close to 315 on the bench. Is that your actual 1RM or your working weight? Damn. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, too.

I've been benching (on and off) for 35 years. In college I weighed 150 and could bench 260. The funny part is I have longish arms for my height. But I do have a short compact torso...so that probably helps. I like to bench heavy and low reps...2-6 range mostly. I was following a program called nSuns 5-day...and that's what got me to 315. The 315 was a 1RM but if you see the video I think I might have been able to do two: Movie Maker: 315 - 3 Plate BP

slicktop

I've been benching (on and off) for 35 years. In college I weighed 150 and could bench 260. The funny part is I have longish arms for my height. But I do have a short compact torso...so that probably helps. I like to bench heavy and low reps...2-6 range mostly. I was following a program called nSuns 5-day...and that's what got me to 315. The 315 was a 1RM but if you see the video I think I might have been able to do two: Movie Maker: 315 - 3 Plate BP
Well shit, good stuff man. I've literally never tried a max on the bench, so I can only guess my 1RM from a calculator. But that's something to be proud of, keep up the good work!

JohnTaylorHK

As I get older, I have realised the importance of complete nutrition, eating real food, properly hydrating and getting 8 hours per day of quality sleep. I have all but given up weights now as not being necessary for me, though I'm still sparring 3 times per week. I do a lot of isometric work whenever I'm in a situation where I'm doing nothing else, queuing, riding the bus etc. Having a sympathetic boxing partner who is not (always!) trying to knock my head off also helps. The HIIT I get from 6 to 8 rounds of sparring makes me feel as good as at any prior time in my life. 65 next year, and hoping to be boxing at least for another 10 years with proper caution. Namaste.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me