The Effect of Longer-Acting vs Shorter-Acting TRT on FSH and LH

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Abstract

Introduction:
Testosterone (T) replacement therapy causes suppression of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) that can lead to a decrease in semen parameters and possible infertility. Different T formulations may have varying suppression on FSH and LH.

Objective: To study whether shorter-acting T (multiple daily dosing) has less suppression on FSH and LH serum levels compared with longer-acting T (transdermal gel, injectable).

Methods: A systematic literature search was conducted by following the protocol based on Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis protocols. We comprehensively reviewed the literature by systematically searching manuscripts indexed in PubMed from 1995 to March 13, 2019, to identify studies reporting changes in FSH and LH in hypogonadal men treated with exogenous T which evaluated the effect of exogenous T on FSH and LH.

Results: A total of 8 studies reported the effect of T on FSH and LH in 793 hypogonadal men: 2 used long-acting injectables (enanthate or undecanoate) in a total of 16 men, 5 used intermediate-acting daily topical gels or patches in a total of 471 men, and 1 used short-acting intranasal T (125mL/nostril, twice a day or three times a day) in 306 men. Long-acting injectables decreased FSH by 86.3%, intermediate-acting daily gels/patches decreased FSH by 60.2%, and short-acting intranasal gel decreased FSH by 37.8%. Long-acting injectables decreased LH by 71.8%, intermediate-acting daily gels/patches decreased LH by 59.2%, and short-acting intranasal gel decreased LH by 47.3%.

Conclusions: Our findings suggest that short-acting T preparations do not decrease serum FSH or LH to the same extent as longer-acting transdermal gels and injectables. However, further clinical trial data are necessary to determine whether the effect of short-acting TRT on gonadotropins translates into similar changes in semen parameters and fertility.

INTRODUCTION

Low testosterone (low T) affects 35% of men older than the age of 45 years.1Treatment generally consists of T replacement therapy (TRT) using exogenous forms of T: long-lasting pellets, injections, transdermal gels and patches, and intranasal gel. 2 Direct-to-consumer marketing has increased awareness of low T leading to an increased number of prescriptions for TRT. 3 What is concerning is that about 12% of TRT prescriptions are prescribed to men of reproductive age. 4 Some of the side effects of TRT is decreased intratesticular T levels, infertility, azoospermia, and testicular atrophy 2- all of which can be detrimental to men of reproductive age. In fact, up to 65% of normal men become azoospermic after 6 months of TRT (weekly intramuscular injections of 200 mg T enanthate) and testis volume can decrease by 23%. 5,6 Current strategies for increasing T without affecting fertility or testis volume are off-label prescriptions of estrogen receptor modulators (eg, clomiphene citrate), aromatase inhibitors (eg, anastrozole), and human chorionic gonadotropin. 2 The main reason that human chorionic gonadotropin and clomiphene citrate is able to preserve spermatogenesis is thought to be because of preservation of intratesticular T. Previous studies showed the utility of 17-hydroxyprogesterone as a biomarker of intratesticular T and demonstrated that 17-hydroxyprogesterone was undetectable in men receiving exogenous T, in contrast to those in the control group (men with serum T≤300 mg/dL not receiving any treatment) and men treated with human chorionic gonadotropin and/or clomiphene citrate (P<.05). 7 Because these medications are off label for the symptomatic treatment of hypogonadal men, and most not Food and Drug Administration approved for use in men, identifying strategies to increase T that may lessen side effects are critical.

Azoospermia and testicular atrophy result from exogenous T suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis via a negative feedback mechanism. In our prior work, a short-acting nasal gel T (Natesto, Food, and Drug Administration approved, May 2014) was shown to increase serum T, maintain gonadotropins luteinizing hormone (LH), and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), within the normal range, and not significantly affect semen parameters. 8 Unlike the dosing of other forms of exogenous T (subdermal pellets, injections, and trans-dermal gels) that provide steady delivery for 24 hours or more, the nasal gel is delivered either 2 or 3 times a day, providing discrete peaks (or pulses) in serum T levels with a return to baseline T levels between peaks. Pulsatile dosing, and more importantly, the existence of daily troughs between doses, may allow for reinitialization of the pulsatile release of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) and therefore maintaining the production of LH and FSH. Because GnRH release cannot be directly measured in humans, FSH and LH are used as surrogates.9 We, therefore, hypothesized that short-acting T has a lesser effect on serum levels of gonadotropins (LH and FSH) than long-acting exogenous T.

Discussion

The secretion of gonadotropins, LH and FSH, is stimulated by GnRH release from the hypothalamus onto the pituitary.18 The mechanism of how 1 hormone, GnRH, can stimulate the release of 2 distinct gonadotropins can be explained by the frequency of its release. When GnRH is released in fast pulses, approximately every 1-2 hours, the pituitary favors the release of LH and stimulates the production of T from the testicle. In contrast, for FSH secretion, the pituitary needs to receive a pulse of GnRH every4-6 hours. 19, 20 In our study, we saw the suppression of both LH and FSH with all forms of T; however, the suppression was less pronounced with short-acting T. 17 Interestingly, less suppression of FSH compared with that of LH was noted in the short-acting T (Table 2). Although serum GnRH is unable to be measured, LH has been used as an indirect measure of GnRH secretion. This preservation of LH in the serum with short-acting T formulations suggests that the shorter-acting T formulations may have less suppression on the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis and GnRH pulsatility.

The gonadotropins FSH and LH stimulate testicular function. The physiological role of LH is the stimulation of T synthesis from Leydig cells. FSH stimulates Sertoli cells that support spermatogonial differentiation and maturation and the production of androgen-binding proteins that are essential in maintaining the high intratesticular T levels. 21 More than 95% of the testicular volume is dedicated to spermatogenesis, and without LH and FSH, the synthetic functions of the testes come to a halt, leading to atrophy and infertility. Therefore, short-acting T, through maintenance of LH and FSH release, may preserve testicular function, including spermatogenesis and endogenous T production; however, prospective studies evaluating the effects of short-acting T are needed.

CONCLUSION

Our analyses support that long-acting Ts may have greater suppression of FSH and LH than shorter-acting formulations.
However, further clinical trial data are necessary to determine whether the effect of short-acting TRT on gonadotropins translates into differences in side effects, such as fertility and testis volume.

Attachments

• 2020SEPT15-LA-VS-SH-TRT-FSH-LH-1-s2.0-S2050052120300767-main.pdf
    727.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
My nasal cavities can Not put up with Natesto. Congestion and headaches were common when I tried it. Had to stop after a week. I like injections better and I think they more manageable than a twice per day squirt in the nose.

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1. Studies included in the analysis grouped by the duration of action
Screenshot (1973).png

madman

Super Moderator
Table 2. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) test between groups (long-acting, intermediate-acting, and short-acting) as determined by one-way ANOVA weighted for the sample size for either percent change in LH (F [2,7] ¼ 1.18, P ¼ .36) or FSH (F [2,7] ¼ 0.76, P ¼ .50)
Screenshot (1974).png

Willyt

My nasal cavities can Not put up with Natesto. Congestion and headaches were common when I tried it. Had to stop after a week. I like injections better and I think they more manageable than a twice per day squirt in the nose.
That’s why I am become curious about testosterone base injections as an alternative to Natesto although fact that you cannot get prescription is a major drawback

madman

Super Moderator
That’s why I am become curious about testosterone base injections as an alternative to Natesto although fact that you cannot get prescription is a major drawback

Who in their right mind would want to inject twice let alone three times daily?

When using Natesto for trt in order the reap the full beneficial effects it needs to be dosed 2-3 times daily.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Do diabetics want to inject multiple times daily to manage their blood sugar? It's a matter of wanting to feel good and doing what it takes to achieve that. Personally, if the results were the same I'd prefer the injections to gel up the nose.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
This brings up an interesting question: Is it more a question of product availability than the ability to get a prescription? That is, in treating a patient for hypogonadism may a U.S. physician prescribe testosterone suspension or testosterone in oil for injection? Non-FDA-approved drugs such as enclomiphene may be prescribed, so lack of approval should not be the impediment. Being a schedule III controlled substance should not be an issue, as pure testosterone is already sold in transdermal products. Come to think of it, some men have gotten prescriptions for Andractim, the DHT gel, so that they could legally import it. Is the situation any different with testosterone base?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
DHT gel is actually not legal to import. DHT is not approved in the US by the FDA. The fact that some of us got our deliveries of the DHT gel just means the package did not get intercepted.

I bet 100 dollars that men injecting daily eventually develop injection fatigue after a few months. It’s just crazy that researchers went through the trouble of developing longer acting esters and the fear of high hematocrit or the unresolved low SHBG in some men pushes them to daily injections. I would rather do the oral undecanoate or even Natesto instead. Hey, it’s about personal choice and long term adherence.

madman

Super Moderator
Do diabetics want to inject multiple times daily to manage their blood sugar? It's a matter of wanting to feel good and doing what it takes to achieve that. Personally, if the results were the same I'd prefer the injections to gel up the nose.

Unfortunately, diabetics need to inject multiple times daily to control their blood sugar unless they choose to use an insulin pump.

Regarding trt protocols, we have numerous options such as pellets, patches, oral, buccal, transdermal (gel/cream), nasal, and injections.

If one truly feels better overall injecting more frequently (daily/EOD) then to each his own.

Even then a majority of men would prefer not to inject multiple times weekly.

Using an injectable T base (no ester) instead of Natesto is extreme, to say the least.

Sure if one has no issue with being a pincushion and can adhere to such protocol long-term.

Not many would be so willing to step up to the plate!

Cataceous

Super Moderator
DHT gel is actually not legal to import. DHT is not approved in the US by the FDA. The fact that some of us got our deliveries of the DHT gel just means the package did not get intercepted.
Ok, amend "legally import" to "legally possess". As far as I can tell it is similarly illegal to import a statin from Canada. The FDA's position is muddled. This lawyer says that it is legal to possess DHT with a prescription. Surely this would also apply to testosterone.

How difficult would it be for Empower to offer testosterone in oil? I'd think it's trivial from a technical standpoint, but the regulations may be odious.

I bet 100 dollars that men injecting daily eventually develop injection fatigue after a few months. It’s just crazy that researchers went through the trouble of developing longer acting esters and the fear of high hematocrit or the unresolved low SHBG in some men pushes them to daily injections. I would rather do the oral undecanoate or even Natesto instead. Hey, it’s about personal choice and long term adherence.
If a guy can shave every day then he can manage daily injections. Granted the benefits must make it worthwhile. Less frequent injections result in less natural variations in serum testosterone. The consequences are more subtle than those for having poorly regulated blood glucose, but I'm convinced they exist and can degrade the TRT experience, even in those without a blatant issue like high hematocrit.

Willyt

This brings up an interesting question: Is it more a question of product availability than the ability to get a prescription? That is, in treating a patient for hypogonadism may a U.S. physician prescribe testosterone suspension or testosterone in oil for injection? Non-FDA-approved drugs such as enclomiphene may be prescribed, so lack of approval should not be the impediment. Being a schedule III controlled substance should not be an issue, as pure testosterone is already sold in transdermal products. Come to think of it, some men have gotten prescriptions for Andractim, the DHT gel, so that they could legally import it. Is the situation any different with testosterone base?

How difficult would it be for Empower to offer testosterone in oil? I'd think it's trivial from a technical standpoint, but the regulations may be odious.

I was wondering the same. Why is there a regulatory distinction made between base and esters?

When using Natesto for trt in order the reap the full beneficial effects it needs to be dosed 2-3 times daily.

@madman - You obviously have a lot more experience and knowledge than me on HRT, but this is one point on which I respectfully disagree.

There seem to be plenty of older guys like myself who want to use testosterone for a more limited “on-demand” purpose - e.g., for building muscle/strength and possibility libido. I have been able to achieve the former with a single dose of Natesto 4-5 times per week (versus the prescribed 21 times per week) without shutting down the upstream activity. Why couldn't the same be achieved with single dose of testosterone base pre-workout?

You would contend that this goes against the primary purpose of HRT, which is to improve one‘s overall well-being. I actually agree on that point. However, with steady-state cypionate, I never experienced the purported well-being benefits of boosting mental clarity, energy levels, vitality, increased confidence, etc. The only benefit I enjoyed was increased muscularity and strength. Based on the hundreds of testimonials I’ve read on this forum, I am not alone in that respect.

I recently switched to Defy and am going to give the steady-state approach another shot with a different protocol. But call me a skeptic. I hope to have a more holistic HRT experience this time, but at least now I know that there is an alternative Natesto/Tbase pulsatile approach to fall back on if my second attempt fails.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I was wondering the same. Why is there a regulatory distinction made between base and esters?
A possible distinction is if there's not an FDA-approved drug for injection that consists of testosterone in oil. But this shouldn't preclude availability compared to something like enclomiphene, except for the added restrictions on schedule III drugs.

madman

Super Moderator

@madman - You obviously have a lot more experience and knowledge than me on HRT, but this is one point on which I respectfully disagree.

There seem to be plenty of older guys like myself who want to use testosterone for a more limited “on-demand” purpose - e.g., for building muscle/strength and possibility libido. I have been able to achieve the former with a single dose of Natesto 4-5 times per week (versus the prescribed 21 times per week) without shutting down the upstream activity. Why couldn't the same be achieved with single dose of testosterone base pre-workout?

You would contend that this goes against the primary purpose of HRT, which is to improve one‘s overall well-being. I actually agree on that point. However, with steady-state cypionate, I never experienced the purported well-being benefits of boosting mental clarity, energy levels, vitality, increased confidence, etc. The only benefit I enjoyed was increased muscularity and strength. Based on the hundreds of testimonials I’ve read on this forum, I am not alone in that respect.

I recently switched to Defy and am going to give the steady-state approach another shot with a different protocol. But call me a skeptic. I hope to have a more holistic HRT experience this time, but at least now I know that there is an alternative Natesto/Tbase pulsatile approach to fall back on if my second attempt fails.

I agree that one could very well use pre-workout for a boost in strength/drive or possibly libido but as far as building muscle results would be minimal if any when injecting unesterified T once daily let alone applying Natesto once daily.

Even when following a trt protocol (steady-state) resulting in healthy T levels although there will be improvements in body composition (muscle gain/fat loss) when following a proper diet/training protocol it will be minimal when compared to using steroids doses of T.

Willyt

I agree that one could very well use pre-workout for a boost in strength/drive or possibly libido but as far as building muscle results would be minimal if any when injecting unesterified T once daily let alone applying Natesto once daily.

Even when following a trt protocol (steady-state) resulting in healthy T levels although there will be improvements in body composition (muscle gain/fat loss) when following a proper diet/training protocol it will be minimal when compared to using steroids doses of T.

Gains are all relative of course when you’re talking about a 50yr old lanky build lol. That said, I was very surprised at what an immediate impact standard 100mg per week dose had on my physique. I had been working out religiously for years with negligible gains not realizing that my mid-200 T was making it a futile exercise. Much to learn and appreciate the feedback

fifty

However, with steady-state cypionate, I never experienced the purported well-being benefits of boosting mental clarity, energy levels, vitality, increased confidence, etc. The only benefit I enjoyed was increased muscularity and strength. Based on the hundreds of testimonials I’ve read on this forum, I am not alone in that respect.
I completely agree.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale