Testosterone:E2 ratio calculation

Buy Lab Tests Online

SixHouse

Can't find a consistent answer to this. When calculating the T:E2 ratio, should I use free or total testosterone?

I'm doing this for self research purposes. My last labs looked like this:

Total T: 1110 (ref 250-1100)
Free T: 224.2 (ref 35-155)
E2: 35 (ref <= 29)

T was high but that had to do with timing. My schedule got screwed up so I could only get blood drawn a few hours after injecting. But regardless, these values put the ratio at 295 which definitely doesn't make sense. If I use the free number that still gives a ratio of 60. Everything I read says things like "The normal testosterone (T)/estradiol (E2) ratio is 1.7"

So can someone clear this up for me?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
The potentially useful ratios compare total to total or free to free. Total to total is more commonly discussed. It's easy to get tripped up over units. Simplest is to get testosterone and estradiol in the same units and compare E2/T to what is typical: 0.4-0.5%.

In your case presumably testosterone is in ng/dL and estradiol is in pg/mL. Estradiol is converted to ng/dL by dividing by 10: 35 pg/mL = 3.5 ng/dL. So E2/T is 0.3%, maybe a little lower than average.

More discussion of the ratio here:

Last edited:

SixHouse

In that link Nelson says:

T/E has to be at least 10 for fertility (in a small study, so this is not cast in stone)
Total T in ng/dL divided by E2 in pg/ml

Which is again confusing. He's saying T/E but you're saying E/T. Also he makes no mention of converting units. Can you clear this all up?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
It's all talking about the same thing—how testosterone compares to estradiol, but the units are different. If I tell you it's 32 degrees outside you need to know if it's Fahrenheit or Celsius before you know if it's hot or cold. The different ways of defining the relative comparison of estradiol and testosterone are interchangeable, readily cross-converted. For example, E2/T as a percent is converted to the commonly used T/E2 ratio in US units by dividing the value into 10. For your number of 0.317% above, 10 / 0.317 = 32 (ng mL / pg / dL). It is also calculated directly from your test results: 1110 ng/dL / 35 pg / mL = 32 (ng mL / pg / dL). On this inverse scale your ratio is now on the high side of what's considered typical—more like 15-25.

Reiterating: all that matters regarding these ratios is that people agree on which version is being used. Being familiar with these two common ones—and their normal values—is probably all you'll need.

TorontoTRT

Your E2 is way too low. But your testing is not done properly so these numbers don’t mean anything. Test again on trough. For 1100 test your E2 should be over 60.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me