Telmisartan and libido

Buy Lab Tests Online
Hey guys so far i feel like am dialed in almost.
Only thing is I started to take telmisartan for water retention and it works quite good. But somehow I feel like my mood and libido is not on point when I take it.
I am not 100% sure if telmisartan is the reason. But which ARB works like telmisartan and has a good half Life if telmi is the reason.
Did anybody have similar experience with ARBs and switched to another and fixed it.
My telmisartan dose is 20 mg. It was just for water retention.

Nelson recommended amiloride. But I am not sure if my doctor prescribes a diuretic.
@Nelson Vergel could i take amiloride daily? I always hear diuretics are dangerous etc

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

I have never heard of telmisartan being a diuretic. In fact, I take telmisartan 80mg/d and also take 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide and never seen a drop in libido. Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking a substance in the body that causes the blood vessels to tighten. The hydrochlorothiazide sends me to the restroom every hours.

Does telmisartan decrease libido?

Many commonly prescribed antihypertensive medications may give rise to sexual dysfunction, which often presents in men as a decrease in libido, difficulty attaining or maintaining an erection, and ejaculation problems, and, in women, as a delay in orgasm.

Recent studies indicate that AIIAs(ARBS) may offer a therapeutic option to prevent or correct erectile dysfunction in patients with hypertension. AIIAs have been shown to positively impact several indices of sexual function and perceived quality of life, effects possibly attributable to blockade of the effects of ANG II in mediating penile detumescence.

There was a clinical trial done on Telmisartan and 3,932 people reported to have side effects when taking Telmisartan. Among them, 1 person (0.03%) had Loss of libido. So it it possible, absolutely but very rare.

Yes it might be something else.
Regarding telmisartan being a diuretic. It's more and more prescribed by doctors especially water retention. I took 40 mg and instantly lost all my water in the body in 6-8 hours. My doctor told me something in the line that it's because testosterone and other steroids stimulate the angiotensin receptor and that is the reason why we experience water retention. He said it's not the estrogen. So...that's what I have heard and it worked like a charm

mcs

I am not a fan of BigPharma, but Telmisartin is an exceptionally excellent drug and the best of all the ARBs. I take 80mg once daily. Zero side effects. Many health benefits.

Since it is a potassium-sparing compound, I would caution you against using any other antihypertensive drugs that cause an increase in potassium.

t_spacemonkey

telmisartan isn't a diuretic? i take 40mg. initial adjustment period with headaches but not feel great. libido / mood good.
i tried losartan, had awful reaction, anxiety /mood in hell.
i think you need to look elsewhere

Ribeye

Only thing is I started to take telmisartan for water retention and it works quite good. But somehow I feel like my mood and libido is not on point when I take it.
I am not 100% sure if telmisartan is the reason. But which ARB works like telmisartan and has a good half Life if telmi is the reason.
Did anybody have similar experience with ARBs and switched to another and fixed it.

Nelson recommended amiloride. But I am not sure if my doctor prescribes a diuretic.
@Nelson Vergel could i take amiloride daily? I always hear diuretics are dangerous etc
telmisartan is not a diuretic. It may, as many of the ARB's have done, be combined in the same pill or tablet, with a diuretic. Usually in the US, that is done with hydrochlorothiazide a well know potassium sparing diuretic. All the ARB's work the same way, and alll are effective. Candisartan is probably the most potent, but for a variety of reasons having to do with insurance coverage etc is not the most prescribed. For a host of very technical reasons, most med's for lowering BP can cause the issues you describe, but the ARB's are known for being very clean in side effects, or adverse events, and generally don't drive low libido or low mood. Libido is a fickle thing. Many, many things, can drive it or eliminate it.

I am amending my post. Hydorcholorthyazide is NOT. a potassium sparing diuretic. Potassium sparing diuretics like spironolactone work by lowering the amount of aldosterone an adrenal hormone that tells the body how much salt to absorb. the more salt or sodium, the more water your body needs the higher your BP goes. These diuretics may block the effect of androgens they can cause gynecomastia. However, these drugs are NOT used as first line diuretics, and NOT in combination with ARB's like Telmisartan, Valsartan, Losartan, Candasartan, or others. Those diuretics, like hydrocholorthyazide, do not affect androgens to nearly the degree and pose small risk if any, of interfering with testosterone. These drugs do not work the same way, and at the same sites in the kidney, and are not going to pose the same interference with testosterone. Generally aldosterone, which IS potassium sparing, is used more in patients who have heart failure, and other disease and often in combination with other diuretics. Perhaps one of the docs from Defy could comment, but it is unlikely that any of these diuretics would have a significant effect on someone supplemented testosterone levels. I wanted to also add, I am NOT a physician but have worked in medical pharmaceuticals for a long time. Generally speaking the ARB's are an absolutely fantastic class of drugs for treating hypertension, with or without diuretics. They can not only lower someone's high BP, but because of they way they work, and how they work, can promote the health of your organs, including brain, kidney, heart, etc. Even with limited effect on BP, I would take one along with an agent to get my BP under control if I needed a second med to do so. In the early 2000's many of the cardiologists were taking them, like aspirin, just for the organ protective effect at low doses.

Last edited:

avaialableuser

If blood pressure is the concern try amlodipine.
I used Telmisartan (the cure all, elixir of the gods), for over a year and it had zero positive impact on my blood pressure.
Regardless, whatever you decide upon, break 'em in half during the first few weeks, as presumably, you're checking your BP multiple times a day. Less is typically more, even with BP meds.

Also, if you're on gear, trying something like a diuretic is a horrible idea.

BigTex

If blood pressure is the concern try amlodipine.
I used Telmisartan (the cure all, elixir of the gods), for over a year and it had zero positive impact on my blood pressure.
Regardless, whatever you decide upon, break 'em in half during the first few weeks, as presumably, you're checking your BP multiple times a day. Less is typically more, even with BP meds.

Also, if you're on gear, trying something like a diuretic is a horrible idea.
I have been on a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) for maybe 20 years and been using AAS for 43 years. Never had any issues. I also coached football in the Texas heat for 36 of those years. They key is to drink plenty of fluids and learn to stay close to a restroom.:) I still drink over a gallon of water every day of my life.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me