T3 with Coffee

Buy Lab Tests Online

Fortunate

It is commonly accepted that one should take thyroid medication on an empty stomach. There is also research that demonstrates reduced absorption of certain thyroid medications if taken with coffee. But, from what I can tell, this has only been studied for T4. I could not find any information in the literature on specifically whether or not coffee interferes with T3 (Cytomel) absorption. I suspect it has not been studied, but most resources appear to infer from the T4 data that T3 can also be affected by coffee and recommend waiting 30-60 minutes.

So, that brings us to using anecdotal experience for guidance. For anyone here that takes T3, do you avoid coffee for a period of time? Is there anyone that simply has their morning coffee, regardless of when you took T3? Has anyone experimented with both scenarios and noticed any difference in how they feel?

Thanks!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

MarcoFL

I have gone both ways on this. I would try to take for most part with just water as things like tannins can bind with medications causing some loss of efficacy. That being said 10% of the time I drink black coffee shortly after my Armour thyroid or T3 I have been on. Many times I do take if I wake up at 5am for a bathroom run then go back to sleep.

Vtail

When I first started on thyroid meds I would wait a couple of hours before coffee. Nowadays I take my T3 and T4 with water as soon as I wake up and then wait about 30 minutes before coffee. My blood levels are no different. I still wait a couple of hours before eating anything.

Vince

Super Moderator
When you say coffee, I would think you're talking about black coffee. I believe it's the caffeine, that interferes with the digestive of thyroid meds.

Fortunate

When you say coffee, I would think you're talking about black coffee. I believe it's the caffeine, that interferes with the digestive of thyroid meds.
Vince, I believe you are correct. Either caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that reduces absorption.

VacationMan

Evening routine - I lay out my thyroid meds on the night stand along with some water. Take them as soon as I wake up. I normally wait 30 or so minutes before having coffee, but sometimes I cheat and have that morning coffee earlier. I figure it's OK to cheat once in a while but not every day.

Fortunate

I hope it’s OK to pivot and ask some related questions about others’ experience with T3? (T3 is new to me). What symptoms were you hoping to resolve? What dose did you start at? How slowly did you titrate up? And, what dose did you end up at? I am low end normal on T3 and slightly high rT3. If you believe in using the t3:rT3 ratio as a guideline, I meet criteria to supplement as a “subclinical hypothyroid” case. I have been advised to start at 5 micrograms and slowly titrate up as needed. The symptoms I am chasing have a fair amount of overlap with low T symptoms (energy, mood, mental acuity) in addition to a few others.

Thanks in advance.

Vince

Super Moderator
Virtually al medical associations and medical experts say that food and drink will interfere with thyroid medications. They go onto state if the medication is taken with food or drink the dosages will likely need to be increased to compensate for lesser absorption. That includes coffee too.

Cytomel (T3) will have the same absorption issues with food or drink. T3 half life is very short and should be taken twice per day with water only.

This is what AbbVie (Abbott Labs), the manufacturer of Synthroid (T4) have to say: Synthroid Official Website

M.J

For some reason caffeine have this strange affect on me, once I have a drink in the morning I feel energetic and everything seems Fine near the sunset I get very dehydrated” I don’t feel thirsty” but my body feel weak and tired need to sleep i read about it and they say it’s dehydration, if I have too much It hit me very hard, so I limited the amount to only one cup and have more glasses water, the affect is less intense yet still there.

only solution was to stop caffeine no tea no coffee nothing with caffeine. I don’t know if I have issues with caffeine or this is normal. But I know I can’t take it anymore.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me