T therapy (cream & injections). Results. Ongoing log of my journey

Thread starter #1
Hi,

So my results were revealing and not surprising considering my symptoms. I’m certain I’ve been on the low end for a good 20 years, if not even in my adolescence.

PRE-TRT symptoms:
The symptoms I had pre TRT that really affected me are:
  • Lack of assertiveness/confidence/drive
  • Memory is not as good
  • Loss muscle mass (3 pounds over the last 5years)
  • Increase in body fat (from 11% to 13%)
  • No energy to do anything after 4-5 hours of work or activities.
  • Wounds won’t heal properly
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Lowered libido (from being in the mood 3-4 times/week to 2/week)
PRE-TRT results:
Free Testosterone:
152 Ref: 196 - 636 PMOL/L
Or converted to ng/dl 4 Ref: 6-18

Total Testosterone:
11.4 Ref: 7.6 - 31.4 NMOL/L
Or converted to ng/dl 328.5 Ref: 219 - 904.9

Progesterone: 2 Ref: 0 - 0.6 NMOL/L
Prolactin: 8.6 Ref: 4 - 18 ΜG/L
Cholesterol total: 5.22 Ref: 0 - 5.19 MMOL/L
HDL cholesterol: 2.3 Ref: 1 - 2.3 MMOL/L
LDL cholesterol: 2.68 MMOL/L No reference
Estradiol: 53 Ref: 0 - 158 PMOL/L (I’ll ask about the sensitive test for my next labs, in 6 weeks)
NO DHT, I'll ask for it for my next labs

[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]I’ve been under desiccated thyroid for 12 years, the doc felt my levels were baseline low so that will be increased a little.[/FONT]
My platelets are low, under the reference. T will likely help increase that. It’s being monitored.
Vitamin D was on the low end so I’ve been asked to increase my current dose.

I'm 4 weeks in as I post this. I’m on cream 75mg twice a day.
Within the first 3-4 days on the cream it had an immediate impact on my libido, it shot up big time! A little more assertiveness/confidence. Nothing else so far, not in terms of energy, strength, cognitive, muscle mass, etc...

The minuses are: Holy hell, acne breakout like I’ve never had over my upper arms, shoulders, chest and upper back. It’s like a rash. I’m now using twice a day the acne.org products on those areas and not just my face. We’ll see how this works out as I’ve only started doing so a few days ago. I’m also going to try Nizoral shampoo, some people with hormone related acne have had good success with using it on their body as well.

Slightly sensitive nipples. It’s a slight sensitivity, I only feel it if I pinch or rub them with a small pressure.

From what I’ve read. These are the two symptoms that many individuals just have to live with to some degree.

My question is regarding acne. I’m ok with having to deal with some, but this massive explosion is hopefully just a reaction of my body adjusting. Is that to be expected for some individuals when they first start?

Last edited:
Topical testosterone creams increase DHT more than injectables or any form of TRT, so it's perfect for someone with low DHT on injectables or used in combination when injectables isn't enough to raise DHT.

However I wouldn't advice blocking DHT with Finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor which can permanently ruin your life by causing brain/receptor damage.

Thread starter #3
I think the breakout has subsided, it's only been 3 days of using Acne.org products but even my partner says it looks under control, now what is there just has to heal and see if it's under control. It probably did not help I was on vacation and lathering sunscreen everyday...

I'm going to be patient, I'm willing to live with this problem until my T is optimized, then we can see if it's still and issue.

Thanks for the tip on finasteride. I agree, I did my research and I'm not touching that even it was just to look at it!

So those are your labs while on the cream? They look like pre-TRT labs from someone that’s Hypogonadal. So you’re really feeling pretty good, especially sexually, from having those low of levels?

Also, where are you applying the cream?

It sucks that everyone on creams doesn’t get their DHT tested. I would love to see how high their DHT levels are, especially the guys applying it transcrotally.

Thread starter #5
Hi @Gman86 , I'll edit my initial post so it answers your questions. I should have been more specific. I'll answer them here as well.

Those are my PRE TRT labs. So even with those low labs, my libido was "ok". By that I mean that if after two days I had not had sex, the third day I was really wanting it. Still, that is a drop from my historical libido or where I like to be (as well as my GF!).

• Memory is not as good
  • Libido lowered
  • Difficulty sleeping

My libido going through the roof (I want some everyday) is 4 weeks in. The cream is applied transcrotally.

I verified my labs and no DHT tested :( . I'll mention it for next time.

Last edited:
Hi @Gman86 , I'll edit my initial post so it answers your questions. I should have been more specific. I'll answer them here as well.

Those are my PRE TRT labs. So even with those low labs, my libido was "ok". By that I mean that if after two days I had not had sex, the third day I was really wanting it. Still, that is a drop from my historical libido or where I like to be (as well as my GF!).

• Memory is not as good
  • Libido lowered
  • Difficulty sleeping

My libido going through the roof (I want some everyday) is 4 weeks in. The cream is applied transcrotally.

I verified my labs and no DHT tested :( . I'll mention it for next time.
Awesome, thanks brotha. So do you have labs while on this protocol, or is it too early? And the acne could just be from hormones fluctuating, like during puberty when we get a spike in sex hormones. The acne might stabilize once your body gets used to being on the test cream. There are a few doctors that use test cream transcrotally with almost all of their patients, with very good success apparently, and I assume that they all have very high DHT. I also assume they are not all having crazy acne. If they were, I’m sure all these patients wouldn’t be reporting doing so well on test cream. So it’s most likely either from your body needing to get used to these new hormone levels, or maybe your dose is too high. I’d be very curious to see where your levels are currently.

So you say you’ve been on natural desiccated thyroid for 14 years? How many grains are you currently using? And do you split the dose up throughout the day?

Also how old are you?

And lastly, how are you currently feeling? Is libido still through the roof? Is that the only positive you’ve had so far?

Thread starter #7
I'll be getting labs done in 6 weeks. That will be 10 weeks from starting TRT.

The breakout happened over 3 days in the 4th week. It was a nuclear bomb on my back, shoulders and especially the chest. Now it seems to have stopped breaking out so much. I'm not panicking, I know I have to give it a good 6+ months to let everything stabilize reasonably.

The Thyroid is 12 years on 90mg (about 1.5 grains). One dose in the morning 30 minutes before eating.

I'll be 46 in March.

Libido is still going strong and so far, it's the only noticeable positive, started on the 3rd day too! From what I'm reading, people tend to feel differences starting between 3-6 weeks.

I'll be getting labs done in 6 weeks. That will be 10 weeks from starting TRT.

The breakout happened over 3 days in the 4th week. It was a nuclear bomb on my back, shoulders and especially the chest. Now it seems to have stopped breaking out so much. I'm not panicking, I know I have to give it a good 6+ months to let everything stabilize reasonably.

The Thyroid is 12 years on 90mg (about 1.5 grains). One dose in the morning 30 minutes before eating.

I'll be 46 in March.

Libido is still going strong and so far, it's the only noticeable positive, started on the 3rd day too! From what I'm reading, people tend to feel differences starting between 3-6 weeks.
Thanks for the info. And ya it’s true, sometimes guys can feel all the effects right away, sometimes it takes months before all the positive effects are felt. Patience is key. Way easier said than done though lol. But that’s good that the acne issue is at least improving. And I would personally split your thyroid dose.

Just because it’s mostly slow releasing T4, doesn’t mean there’s no benefit to splitting it. Each grain contains 9mcg of T3, which is quick acting. Your body can only absorb so much T3 at one time. It can only improve things to take 1 grain in the morning, and 1/2 grain in the evening. Studies have shown that taking thyroid medication in the evening, either yields the same absorption results, or better absorption. Never less. Just take it inbetween meals. It can’t hurt to split the dose, it can only improve things, and it’s extremely common for people to split their NDT dose. So just something to consider.

Oh, also, how’s the testicles doin? I’ve heard from one guy on here that applying test cream transcrotally made his testicles shrink down to raisins. He said they shrunk considerably more than when he was on injections.

Thread starter #9
Thanks for the tip on the thyroid. I'm looking into this now and can't believe I never read about this...

Testicles have not shrunk, yet. If they end up in permanent cold water "shrinkage" mode, that's fine. I don't care about that and my neither does my GF.

Thanks for the tip on the thyroid. I'm looking into this now and can't believe I never read about this...

Testicles have not shrunk, yet. If they end up in permanent cold water "shrinkage" mode, that's fine. I don't care about that and my neither does my GF.
What part are you referring to that’s hard to believe. The fact that thyroid medication can be taken in the evening, despite what we usually hear about taking it 1-2 hours before meals in the morning?

Thread starter #11
I mean it's hard to believe that I never found info about splitting the dosage when I did significant research on NDT in the past.

I've read enough the past few days to be convinced of it's merit. I'll be splitting it from now on.

I mean it's hard to believe that I never found info about splitting the dosage when I did significant research on NDT in the past.

I've read enough the past few days to be convinced of it's merit. I'll be splitting it from now on.
Oh ya, same. I’ve done an insane amount of research on the thyroid the past couple months, and I just learned about the benefits of splitting NDT as well. I was also shocked to hear about the benefits of taking it in the evening. The evening dose especially benefits guys on T3 only. Apparently in the morning, you get the benefits of no food interacting with the thyroid medication, but it goes through your system very quickly, and you may not be absorbing as much as you could be. With the evening dose, you take it in between meals, so you get the benefit of the medication not interacting with any food, but you also get the added benefit of increased absorption. This is due to your body still processing the food you ate a few hours before, and therefore the thyroid medication will move slower through the intestines which gives more time for your body to absorb more of the thyroid medication. But this is food downstream from the thyroid medication, that’s causing the slower gastric emptying, so it apparently doesn’t interact with the medication at all. The studies show that it either is just as effective, or more effective than the morning dose. And apparently it doesn’t mess with sleep.

Dr. Westin Childs is a wealth of knowledge in regards to thyroid. The man knows his stuff.

Thread starter #14
Update after 5 total weeks:

PRO: Libido went up immediately, 3rd day in went to where it's never gone before and has remain there so far.

CON: during week 4 for a period of 3 days I had an acne explosion (see previous posts). Since then I've not broken out more (a couple here and there), so it looks like it was spike.
My resting heart rate went up from 53 to 63.

Observations: A few times the past couple of days I discovered what people meant by "hearing" your heartbeat. Only occurred in the morning as a woke up.

Finally, no changes at all in anything else so far... energy, strength, focus, drive, body composition.

As my GF said, I'm starting with a total and free T range that's typical of an 85-100 year old... So I would not be surprised to be one of those that it takes longer for benefits to show up.

PRO: Libido went up immediately, 3rd day in went to where it's never gone before and has remain there so far.

CON: during week 4 for a period of 3 days I had an acne explosion (see previous posts). Since then I've not broken out more (a couple here and there), so it looks like it was spike.
My resting heart rate went up from 53 to 63.

Observations: A few times the past couple of days I discovered what people meant by "hearing" your heartbeat. Only occurred in the morning as a woke up.

Finally, no changes at all in anything else so far... energy, strength, focus, drive, body composition.

As my GF said, I'm starting with a total and free T range that's typical of an 85-100 year old... So I would not be surprised to be one of those that it takes longer for benefits to show up.
Thanks for the update. Ya just be patient. But sounds like you’re doing pretty well. Having a high libido is an awesome sign. Our bodies are meant to do one thing on this planet, and that’s to reproduce and pass on it’s genetic code. So when you have a high urge to repodruce, that’s an excellent indicator that your body is working properly.

Have you noticed any differences from splitting your NDT dose?

bkb33

I am interested to see if you maintain this. I started with T cream all applied trans-scrotally. First 4 weeks, libido was greatly increased. Then I just hit a wall out of nowhere!

The last 2 weeks, my sex drive has been better than it was pre-TRT, but not nearly what it was during those first 4 weeks. We increased my cream dose (from 2 to 4 clicks) and I am now applying half trans-scrotally, half to inside of leg. Nothing noticeable so far to report since the protocol change, but it's only been a few days.

Thread starter #17
I am interested to see if you maintain this. I started with T cream all applied trans-scrotally. First 4 weeks, libido was greatly increased. Then I just hit a wall out of nowhere!
Yeah I'm expecting it to drop. Funny thing is I'm starting week 6 and the last 2 days it's felt PRE TRT. But I give myself a good 10-14 days of feeling a certain way before "confirming" it's effect.

Thread starter #18
Have you noticed any differences from splitting your NDT dose?
I could not do it :(. I received my new prescription and it's in a capsule! I've never had NDT in a capsule but the dosage is specially formulated for me via compounding so I guess that's why.

I'd have to open it and try to take half and then the other half. Seeing as I can't be very precise. I don't think it's a good idea. I've made note of it and I'll ask my practitioner if I the compound pharmacy could do it in 2 doses. I really want to try it as I find the research quite compelling.

I could not do it :(. I received my new prescription and it's in a capsule! I've never had NDT in a capsule but the dosage is specially formulated for me via compounding so I guess that's why.

I'd have to open it and try to take half and then the other half. Seeing as I can't be very precise. I don't think it's a good idea. I've made note of it and I'll ask my practitioner if I the compound pharmacy could do it in 2 doses. I really want to try it as I find the research quite compelling.
Ya desiccated thyroid should always be in capsules, as far as I know. It’s literally just dried pig’s thyroid, so should just be a powder in a capsule. But ya just try to get smaller doses next time. When I start, I think I’m gonna just pay extra and get the smallest doses possible, and just get more do them. Gonna get 15mg doses. Which is a 1/4 of a grain