Statin use and TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online

sh1973

I wanted to get some feedback from any members that are or have taken statins. My cholesterol has been in the 210-240 range since my early 20s. My HDL is normally 55-60 and triglycerides in the 60-80 range. I’m not overweight, don’t smoke, drink occasionally, no family history of heart disease, no diabetes, exercise at least 30 minutes daily. The only medication I take is cypionate 60mg per week. My doctor has really been pushing for the last year for me to get on a Statin to get my LDL down which was 153 last week when I had it checked. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about statins but I’m sure there are people who use them successfully. I’m just not sure in my situation with no risk factors that I even need them. Any thoughts appreciated.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

hotdog

Your liver is manufacturing that cholesterol within a feedback circuit. If you are going to interfere with that mechanism by suppressing the manufacture of cholesterol in your liver then maybe you first need to consider the downstream impact. Cholesterol is the precursor of the five major classes of steroid hormones: progestogens, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, androgens, and estrogens.

Blackhawk

Search on my username and "statins" on this forum. I think you will find my story a few times over. Not going to write it all yet again.

Or let's just say Lipitor was a very bad thing for me.

captain

Low carb diet and fish or krill oil to help. I used a statin for a short time but I don't need it if I stay out of the carbs. Metformin will help also and I think would be better than statin if it works for you.

Last edited:

sh1973

Thanks captain, I think I will do the low carb approach first along with some natural choices to see how it goes.

RPellerin

I wanted to get some feedback from any members that are or have taken statins. My cholesterol has been in the 210-240 range since my early 20s. My HDL is normally 55-60 and triglycerides in the 60-80 range. I’m not overweight, don’t smoke, drink occasionally, no family history of heart disease, no diabetes, exercise at least 30 minutes daily. The only medication I take is cypionate 60mg per week. My doctor has really been pushing for the last year for me to get on a Statin to get my LDL down which was 153 last week when I had it checked. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about statins but I’m sure there are people who use them successfully. I’m just not sure in my situation with no risk factors that I even need them. Any thoughts appreciated.
Your numbers are great I wouldn't be concerned.
I take a Statin, but my total was 452.

Guided_by_Voices

What actual evidence is there that lowering LDL if trigs and HDL are good provides any benefit? I believe the cholesterolcode.com site has put out a call for any study or evidence that shows LDL is a risk if trigs and HDL are good, and none have appeared so if your doctor has such evidence he or she should go there and point it out. Also, even the somewhat forward-thinking people who believe aspects of cholesterol are a risk that should be treated (e.g. Peter Attia and a few others) don't use the calculated LDL for anything. Bottom line, get a low-carb-friendly doctor who who focuses on the real controllable factors for heart attacks (such as HRV, sleep quality) not on lipids since your trigs and HDL are good.

sh1973

Holy shit man. I’ve never seen numbers that high. I’ve been thinking the doctors a little wacko for wanting me to take them since I have no other risk factors. I think after hearing your example I’m probably good.

Vince

Super Moderator
You didn't post your present age. If you're 50 or 40 if heart disease is in your family. I would get a heart scoring CT scan, to see if you even have any plaque in your arteries. If you're plaque free, you shouldn't have much of a concern for using a statin. I was told the only purpose of a statin is to stabilize plaque.

sh1973

Just turned 46, no history of heart problems nor any family history. I’ve never had a scan. Never been a smoker and the only medication is cypionate.

Golfboy307

That post from Kendrick was totally fascinating! That guy is certainly not mainstream, but boy does he raise some good points. I also like how honest he is about what medicine does not know about the whole CVD process.

SH1973, if you have NO other risk factors, I would lean against using a statin. Especially with decent HDL and triglycerides.

xqfq

You didn’t provide enough information for anyone to weigh in really. Your non-HDL-C is around 180 which is high. As Vince says above, if you’d like to see if you have older plaque in your arteries you could get a CAC done. If it’s 0 or very low for your age you might be able to avoid a statin if you want to. But if you tolerate a statin well, then why not use it? They are some of the most prescribed drugs in the world and there are many different statins and alternatives that work via different mechanisms if not tolerated or your lipid goal isn’t reached.

Statins have a bad reputation on forums like these, so I would not let comments here deter you from using a medication recommended by a competent physician. A low dose of a statin is unlikely to have any side effects. The comments above about cholesterol and sex hormones aren’t quite correct.

sh1973

Not sure what you mean or what else I can provide? 5’ 9” , 175lbs, 46y/o, never smoked, occasionally drink, exercise daily, only medication taken cypionate, no other health problems, eat very healthy, unfortunately my total cholesterol has been 210-240 20 years no matter what I do.

Golfboy307

Yes, let me clarify a bit from my end. I am not anti-statin. I just don't think it should be put the water supply like fluoride.

In fact, under doctor's supervision, I take red yeast rice which contains the natural compound in statins (along with Kyolic garlic). So, in a sense, I am on a very low dose version. I do this because of family history and mild hypertension (controlled). Unlike OP, I have several risk factors. I had a CAC when I was 39 (12 years ago) which was zero. My last cholesterol readings were LDC - C of 75, HDL of 42, Trigs 78, and LDL - P of 1100. (Would like to get that particle count lower). Prior to the RYR and garlic, I was in the 110-120 range for LDL C. Not a huge worry, but you have to look at all of the factors.

Dr.V.P.C.

Statins works great against CV inflammation and to lower LDL (pleitropic effect) even in very low dosages, specially when combined with low dose ezetimibe.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me