Standing extensions vs over head

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

Looks like evidence points to the over head triceps extension as giving you the best bang for the buck when compared to the standing neutral arm triceps extensions. More emphasis seems to be placed on the triceps brachii long head 8in the over head position.

Maeo S, Wu Y, Huang M, Sakurai H, Kusagawa Y, Sugiyama T, Kanehisa H, Isaka T. Triceps brachii hypertrophy is substantially greater after elbow extension training performed in the overhead versus neutral arm position. Eur J Sport Sci. 2022 Jul 12:1-26. doi: 10.1080/17461391.2022.2100279. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35819335.

Abstract​

The biarticular triceps brachii long head (TBLong) is lengthened more in the overhead than neutral arm position. We compared triceps brachii hypertrophy after elbow extension training performed in the overhead vs. neutral arm position. Using a cable machine, 21 adults (14 males and 7 females, age: 23.4 ± 1.6 y, height: 1.69 ± 0.09 m, body mass: 64.5 ± 12.4 kg) conducted elbow extensions (90-0°) with one arm in the overhead (Overhead-Arm) and the other arm in the neutral (Neutral-Arm) position at 70% one-repetition maximum (1RM), 10 reps/set, 5 sets/session, 2 sessions/week for 12 weeks. Training load was gradually increased (+5% 1RM/session) when the preceding session was completed without repetition failure. 1RM of the assigned condition and MRI-measured muscle volume of the TBLong, monoarticular lateral and medial heads (TBLat+Med), and whole triceps brachii (Whole-TB) were assessed pre- and post-training. Training load and 1RM increased in both arms similarly (+62-71% at post, P = 0.285), while their absolute values/weights were always lower in Overhead-Arm (-34-39%, P < 0.001). Changes in muscle volume in Overhead-Arm compared to Neutral-Arm were 1.5-fold greater for the TBLong (+28.5% vs. +19.6%, Cohen's d = 1.272, P < 0.001), 1.4-fold greater for the TBLat+Med (+14.6% vs. +10.5%, d = 1.106, P = 0.002), and 1.4-fold greater for the Whole-TB (+19.9% vs. +13.9%, d = 1.427, P < 0.001). In conclusion, triceps brachii hypertrophy was substantially greater after elbow extension training performed in the overhead versus neutral arm position, even with lower absolute loads used during the training.

Neutral Arm Triceps Extension

Over head Triceps Extension

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I like to do the overhead extensions as shown, but pre-exhaust with a standing straight arm pullover. I do it with bands. The pump is unbelievable and the combination is very efficient, especially with loop style bands.

JmarkH

I like to do the overhead extensions as shown, but pre-exhaust with a standing straight arm pullover. I do it with bands. The pump is unbelievable and the combination is very efficient, especially with loop style bands.
I'm trying to picture this. Are you starting, traveling and finishing with a straight arm? If so wouldn't that target more of the shoulder, chest and lat? I may give it a try today to see.

I'm trying to picture this. Are you starting, traveling and finishing with a straight arm? If so wouldn't that target more of the shoulder, chest and lat? I may give it a try today to see.

In the position shown, start with straight arms.The motion is restricted a bit, but it is not a big deal as the focus is on the tricep with the arms straight. Go immediately into the triceps extension as pictured. It works great with bands but I don’t know of it would be the same with a cable and weight stack.

BigTex

I had the pleasure of talking to Lou Farrigno in 2000, in Los Angeles. He was very big on doing triceps work on an incline bench, over head strictly because he said it hit the long head more.

BigTex

Here is a big time bulk builder for the triceps. Got popular in powerlifting and is now being used by a few top bodybuilders. The JM Press, which is a cross between the close grip bench and the skull crusher.

andrewBwinter

Looks like evidence points to the over head triceps extension as giving you the best bang for the buck when compared to the standing neutral arm triceps extensions. More emphasis seems to be placed on the triceps brachii long head 8in the over head position.

Maeo S, Wu Y, Huang M, Sakurai H, Kusagawa Y, Sugiyama T, Kanehisa H, Isaka T. Triceps brachii hypertrophy is substantially greater after elbow extension training performed in the overhead versus neutral arm position. Eur J Sport Sci. 2022 Jul 12:1-26. doi: 10.1080/17461391.2022.2100279. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35819335.

Abstract​

The biarticular triceps brachii long head (TBLong) is lengthened more in the overhead than neutral arm position. We compared triceps brachii hypertrophy after elbow extension training performed in the overhead vs. neutral arm position. Using a cable machine, 21 adults (14 males and 7 females, age: 23.4 ± 1.6 y, height: 1.69 ± 0.09 m, body mass: 64.5 ± 12.4 kg) conducted elbow extensions (90-0°) with one arm in the overhead (Overhead-Arm) and the other arm in the neutral (Neutral-Arm) position at 70% one-repetition maximum (1RM), 10 reps/set, 5 sets/session, 2 sessions/week for 12 weeks. Training load was gradually increased (+5% 1RM/session) when the preceding session was completed without repetition failure. 1RM of the assigned condition and MRI-measured muscle volume of the TBLong, monoarticular lateral and medial heads (TBLat+Med), and whole triceps brachii (Whole-TB) were assessed pre- and post-training. Training load and 1RM increased in both arms similarly (+62-71% at post, P = 0.285), while their absolute values/weights were always lower in Overhead-Arm (-34-39%, P < 0.001). Changes in muscle volume in Overhead-Arm compared to Neutral-Arm were 1.5-fold greater for the TBLong (+28.5% vs. +19.6%, Cohen's d = 1.272, P < 0.001), 1.4-fold greater for the TBLat+Med (+14.6% vs. +10.5%, d = 1.106, P = 0.002), and 1.4-fold greater for the Whole-TB (+19.9% vs. +13.9%, d = 1.427, P < 0.001). In conclusion, triceps brachii hypertrophy was substantially greater after elbow extension training performed in the overhead versus neutral arm position, even with lower absolute loads used during the training.

Overhead, better stretch. Mike Van Wyck has some great content on stretch, movement patterns and general form techniques on his Youtube channel. Triceps

andrewBwinter

Abstract​

A little known alternate is the guillotine extension. Elbows out level with the shoulders and you criss-cross the cables and extend horizontally. This movement has saved my tendons. Guillotine In the demo he's doing more of a Y formation, but I keep the extensions level with the ground so you are in a T formation when fully extended.

andrewBwinter

Yes I have. I alternate between close grip and JM when I am doing a powerlifting block. For "hypertrophy and tendon" blocks, I go to cables for higher reps.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me